just had a visit from immigration

The home-visits for marriage-based extensions have some validity - seeing if you actually live with your wife.  I hope, someday, they will let me get to that step, instead of blocking me with made-up unpublished requirements which don't prove anything remotely relevant. 

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

I have no problem understanding that Thai officials have a job to do, that they follow instructions, and the more smooth and pleasant I can make that experience the better life will be for all!!

In my experience, being polite makes no difference at all.  They have their sights firmly on a fat envelope from their agent-partner, and no amount of being cordial makes any difference.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Install the Google Translate App...now you can photo translate Thai ...It works like a charm...not 100% but welll enough so you can understand what your are signing

English to thai translation works soso

Thai to English makes no sense at all, just jibbrish

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Some people I know last week had a call from immigration to say they were on the way and to have money available. I think 2000 baht was mentioned. So the people I know got a few friends and relatives in for their arrival to ensure that no 'negotiations' could or would take place. They came from the same office where my wife was invited to make a contribution when she was a day late reporting that I had returned home to the address I had already given when entering the country, reducing the maximum fine of 2000 baht to 500.

When officials who are there to uphold the law break it themselves it undermines the whole of society. And it happens in every public office at every level. If you held a poll among Thai people asking if they respected or liked those working in (insert any profession which requires a uniform) I'd get you'd get a zero. What a wonderful culture.

"If you held a poll among Thai people..."

Today, this might apply Globally!

(But, while living in TH, we can ignore the rest of the countries, I guess)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Install the Google Translate App...now you can photo translate Thai ...It works like a charm...not 100% but welll enough so you can understand what your are signing

Bravo!

a brilliant finale and really the only one necessary in this whole string.

i give you 5 stars today.

I had a team of police visit yesterday, wanted to take my photo and see my PP. I asked Mrs.T why, she said their boss knows there are dodgy farangs in our area (Ubon), I said but one of the cops is our friend, he knows about me, she said, the boss tells them what to do.....

There was no signing anything, I wouldn't anyhoooo, unless I knew what it said...

20 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It would be useful to indicate which immigration office and what extension. Marriage or retirement.

I would not, under any circumstances, sign a document I cannot read. All you had to say was, sorry, I cannot read Thai and I'll need to have it translated first.

In 15 years of dealing with the Jomtien Immigration Office I have never once been handed a document to sign which didn't have an English translation.

When I got divorced I only had a Thai language document to sign. I signed as I just wanted it done and was OK.

However in a perfect world and all that.................................

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I got divorced I only had a Thai language document to sign. I signed as I just wanted it done and was OK.

However in a perfect world and all that.................................

There is a distinct difference between your divorce document and the OP's immigration document. You had a clue what it was for. Still, I would have taken the time to have the divorce document translated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, transam said:

I had a team of police visit yesterday, wanted to take my photo and see my PP. I asked Mrs.T why, she said their boss knows there are dodgy farangs in our area (Ubon), I said but one of the cops is our friend, he knows about me, she said, the boss tells them what to do.....

There was no signing anything, I wouldn't anyhoooo, unless I knew what it said...

Surely not a 'do you know who I am' from You Trans - to the wife only I hope ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Some people I know last week had a call from immigration to say they were on the way and to have money available. I think 2000 baht was mentioned. So the people I know got a few friends and relatives in for their arrival to ensure that no 'negotiations' could or would take place. They came from the same office where my wife was invited to make a contribution when she was a day late reporting that I had returned home to the address I had already given when entering the country, reducing the maximum fine of 2000 baht to 500.

When officials who are there to uphold the law break it themselves it undermines the whole of society. And it happens in every public office at every level. If you held a poll among Thai people asking if they respected or liked those working in (insert any profession which requires a uniform) I'd get you'd get a zero. What a wonderful culture.

Agree with all up to the last line.  The corrupt envelope-mongers in government bureaucracies are not "Thai Culture" - they are a cancerous-wart on the backside of Thailand.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

1 - this is a forum about Thailand, not 'the rest of the countries'.

2 - where I come from, those in public positions of authority do not base the level of service they give based on how much is slipped to them under the counter.

On #2 - Yes, where I come from you get a Felony-record and Years in the Slammer with Other Criminals, for doing that.

Edited by JackThompson