Why are 12 year old kids and younger riding motorcycles?

2 hours ago, gimo said:

It's probably the worst aspect of the mai pen rai attitude ( there are many good and bad ones in my opinion ) . There's just no excuse for letting kids ride motorbikes , even in the village . They do die in what should be unacceptable numbers . One of the biggest tasks for the rest of my life will be to try and keep my now 8 year old son , off them  .

Tell him ... grow up or ride a motor bike ... choose one because you can't do both ....

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, jasperno said:

I care about kids dying needlessly due to irresponsibility. I don't think i need to silence myself sharing my opinion out of fear it may offend you or a Thai.

You gave yourself away when you used the word "irresponsibility".

That's a judgment based on an upbringing in a different culture and in a very different economic reality.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, impulse said:

You gave yourself away when you used the word "irresponsibility".

That's a judgment based on an upbringing in a different culture and in a very different economic reality.

So your rationale seems to be that i cannot hold views, criticise or compliment any culture/economic group other than that to which i belong or have belonged?.

As i say, an absolutely ridiculous viewpoint. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jasperno said:

So your rationale seems to be that i cannot hold views, criticise or compliment any culture/economic group other than that to which i belong or have belonged?.

As i say, an absolutely ridiculous viewpoint. 

You can hold and put forward whatever beliefs you want.  And I'm just as free to disagree.

So, which view is the ridiculous one?

• Like 1

I have a photo somewhere - can't find it at the moment. It shows a Thai police officer on a motorbike in Korat with no helmet on and almost alongside him but on the road are 3 schoolgirls, I'd say around 12-13 years old - also riding a motorbike (the same bike all 3).  This is in the centre of Korat on Mitraphap Road at school turnout time and clearly visible is one of those Helmets 100% signs. There are kids everywhere on motorbikes at that time of day.

Who's going to listen to the law?

5 hours ago, marvin1950 said:

So why have a legal age for driving a motorbike then.

What's the point of having laws.

If parents don't care why should government.

Because the law's not enforced and that's down to the BiB and the only entity you omitted from your post.  

13 hours ago, stouricks said:

It cannot be much fun and adventure driving your Mum or Granny on the back of the bike to the local 7-11. But they do, adults couldn't care less. No insurance, no training, but hey, I want to go to the shops....drive me!

Driving adults around IS the training

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, FinickyFarang said:

You lost me at MJ is just as bad as driving a bike underage unless you me at to say that MJ use by underage children is as bad as underage children driving.  

If you actually meant to say that MJ use by adults is just as bad as underage children riding motorbikes, I have to ask for some stats on that.  

It was a reference to cops not enforcing the law in LOS.

Anyone that thinks MJ is not bad needs to do some research.

• Like 2

They ride without a license or insurance and if they have an accident and hit your car your supposed to say no problem .

Good luck with getting the police to help.

It used to really pi5s me off but now I just accept it as been here way too long.

Edited by kwak250

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What are you on about with "no training"? They've been riding on m'bikes since before they could walk, and certainly way better m'bike riders than the average farang guest in LOS.

To answer the OP; because they don't live in a PC nanny state like the OP does.

Seems to me that TVF is populated by some people that think they know better than Thais how they should live in their own country. There's a word that describes such people.

Nice to see someone standing up for (traffic) law breakers.

Easier for mom & dad, or grandma and grandpa, whoever is raising the kids. They don't have to run to the markets or shops, in our village when I go on my morning walks I see the local kids riding the motorbikes to the little shops to get their dad a couple of the little bags of coffee mix and maybe his cigarettes for the day.

If I walk a little later I see dad, who is now up and going after having his coffee, on the same motorbike to the same shop to buy food for his fighting chickens and maybe have a shot of whiskey while he is there. It's just life here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question should be

Why are 14 year old kids and younger riding motorcycles?

15, I believe, is the youngest anybody can get a Thai motorcycle license and it's only valid for <110cc.

Edited by Keesters