Plan to build condos for low-earning civil service officials

webfact

Plan to build condos for low-earning civil service officials

By THE NATION

800_5f38d0daea0565a.png?v=1592182633

Representational Image

The Department of Treasury is working with the Office of the Civil Service Commission (OCSC) in surveying residential needs of civil servants nationwide to build low-price condominium for officials who earn less than Bt16,000 per month, department director-general Yutthana Yimkarun said.

“We aim to build up to 10,000 units of 40 sqm at a price of Bt999,999 each,” he said. “Civil servants approved by the OCSC can choose a payment plan of up to 30 years from the Government Housing Bank at 3 per cent interest, with the minimum payment per month being Bt3,900.”

The department will find suitable locations near government buildings to facilitate the commute.

“The land for each condo project will be around 1-2 rai and will be state land under the department’s administration, while Dhanarak Asset Development, a subsidiary of the department, will be responsible for the construction,” Yutthana said.

The department expects construction of the first phase of the project to start in July in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Udon Thani.

“The first phase will include twelve 7-storey buildings, each with 76 units. The construction will not require an EIA [environmental impact assessment] study as it is less than 10 storeys high,” he said.

“We expect the project to help low-level civil servants and increase the income that the department contributes to the state, from around Bt100 million to up to Bt1 billion per year,” Yutthana added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389618

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-15

The land is free, so how can it cost just under 1 million baht to construct a small condo?

Build them, and then provide to the buyers at just over cost, with the rule that the property can only be sold to another civil servant employee at a maximum return of whatever percent.

This keeps the property affordable for all civil servants. ????

Will it happen - No - and big profits will be made and the lowly civil servant will be shafted as per normal. ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

And yet another Thaskin idea and program to be stolen and used by this government. Every single idea was stolen from Thaskin.

Well from your post it seems you believe he had some good ideas, just a pity that he got so corrupt that these ideas never came to fruition.

Why are they only building them for Civil Servants why not build them for Civilians as well??
Paying for the Servants support whilst the working class struggle?
About the price it depends on the location I know someone who just bought a box in BKK for 6.9M

• Thanks 1

Actually he had and has a lot of poor and middle class Thai folk who really love him and would probably take a bullet for him. His shenanigans actually went against a different higher mold of Thai. He crossed  couple of lines that made some biggies really upset. The powers that be today are no better than him at all. In comparison could be a few steps below, and I am not a Thaskin fan..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Actually he had and has a lot of poor and middle class Thai folk who really love him and would probably take a bullet for him. His shenanigans actually went against a different higher mold of Thai. He crossed  couple of lines that made some biggies really upset. The powers that be today are no better than him at all. In comparison could be a few steps below, and I am not a Thaskin fan..

I am not a Thaksin fan..

Wow, could of fooled me!!

6 hours ago, thainet said:

Well from your post it seems you believe he had some good ideas, just a pity that he got so corrupt that these ideas never came to fruition.

Yes he did, and many ideas and plans were implemented. I lived in the North during his tenure as PM and he transformed agriculture and infrastructure bringing them into the 21st Century. Ox carts and ploughs were replaced by modern tractors and mechanical rotovators. There were many road building and improvement schemes (super highways and dual carriage ways) with Chiang Mai becoming Lanna's "capital" city with business investments. His family are ethnic Chinese Thais from the North, but, in my opinion, were hated by the ethnic Chinese Thai "establishment" in Bangkok. Money was shifted to support the North. Yes, corruption was endemic but isn't that so with today's politicians from many nations, including Thailand?? Both he and his sister are still respected and adored by many ordinary Thais to this day and Bangkok knows it!! 

• Like 2

I find it to be very unusual to basically provide low cost housing but only for civil servants.  Is it an expectation in Thailand that government workers are to be provided with housing?

7 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

40 sqm is not so small. The ones Thaskin built for the low income people were smaller than that and priced at 1 million. CM is full of them.

A friend of mine in CM bought one of those government condos.  It’s the “National Condominium Authority” complex down near the Night Safari.  They are 33sqm 2br 1ba units and have all the ambiance of a prison.  They were not priced at ฿1 million but rather ฿300,000 when she purchased it.  Currently, the asking price for one for sale Is ฿570,000.  Too much IMHO and not worth more than the ฿300,000 she paid.

Edited by Airalee

Interesting that they're planning to do mid-rise projects -- 7 stories -- apparently in order to avoid doing environmental impact reports.

Most regular market condos built in BKK these days seem to be of the 30+ story high-rise variety, with 25 to 35 sq mt unit sizes common.

So Thailand's going to end up with a bunch of cheaply built, poorly maintained government sponsored mid-rise slums???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, Airalee said:

A friend of mine in CM bought one of those government condos.  It’s the “National Condominium Authority” complex down near the Night Safari.  They are 33sqm 2br 1ba units and have all the ambiance of a prison.  They were not priced at ฿1 million but rather ฿300,000 when she purchased it.  Currently, the asking price for one for sale Is ฿570,000.  Too much IMHO and not worth more than the ฿300,000 she paid.

Was a long time ago. But as I know there is that one you mentioned, and two others spread out in CM. I am not sure that the others are that big though, but there was advertisement of them around beginning level of 300k like you said and then I also ready 800k and 1 mil. Anyway, Thaskin did it first and it was his idea that the Junta is using now.

They did the same where I lived, up in that big country north of Thailand.  By the time all the high ranking government officials got sweetheart deals for their relatives, there were no apartments left over for the low paid civil servants- specifically teachers.  So they had to build more.  Still none left over after graft and corruption...

Whaddaya wanna bet?

• Like 1