U.S. airlines threaten to ban passengers who refuse to wear masks

webfact

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

And yet, only couple of days ago, they have allowed a return Thai person to board a plane with full blown symptoms of the Covid 19 and fly to Thailand, begs the question...

Was that a U.S. airline?

• Thanks 1

Well, I can only comment on what goes on before they get on board.

At our station we service both United & Delta, can't comment on the other two airlines here, American and Allegiant.

We require all passengers to wear a mask as part of check in. I don't see a lot of push back on that requirement, and it's a 100% compliance as they come down the jet bridge.

Most of the flight attendants I meet wouldn't put up with any ass$#$hole who decided to take off a mask on board, regardless of the rules, and you don't wanna cross a pis#$ed off flight attendant.

So this is just one of those, 'what story shall I write today' articles!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well, I can only comment on what goes on before they get on board.

At our station we service both United & Delta, can't comment on the other two airlines here, American and Allegiant.

We require all passengers to wear a mask as part of check in. I don't see a lot of push back on that requirement, and it's a 100% compliance as they come down the jet bridge.

Most of the flight attendants I meet wouldn't put up with any ass$#$hole who decided to take off a mask on board, regardless of the rules, and you don't wanna cross a pis#$ed off flight attendant.

The article, written after measures suggested by the airline industry, confirms what you're saying happens on the ground. It seems the industry is also better informed about on board practices than your hearsay opinion.

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

They must go into a tizzy at meal time...

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

And so they should .... anyone who doesn't want to wear a mask shouldn't be allowed on any flight .... and anyone who doesn't choose to wear a mask in flight should be fined.

Why should folks who think they are superior to others place other lives at risk just because they don't want to follow requests.

Yet you think you have superiority to tell airlines how to run their business.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

This is the problem when a country has a "goose" for a president & all these "amendments"

& so called civil right.

Wear your mask or get off now,,,,,howzat ???

All roads do not lead to Donald Trump. This situation has nothing to do with him.

36 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Yet you think you have superiority to tell airlines how to run their business.

Airlines have a duty to protect their passengers and employees the virus is highly contagious and deadly it’s their duty they don’t want to be found derelict in their duty it’s a (no brainer)

8 minutes ago, Tug said:

Airlines have a duty to protect their passengers and employees the virus is highly contagious and deadly it’s their duty they don’t want to be found derelict in their duty it’s a (no brainer)

OK.

I do hate wearing a mask and will only wear it where it is compulsory, e.g supermarkets.

I will not take a cab, bus, boat, bts because of the mask's rule.

This being said, I do feel that wearing a mask in public (not outside) is necessary and everyone should abide by it or avoid using these means of transportation: it does make the other travelers feel safe(r).

So, companies are right and those who disagree (about the mask) have to make other plans or stay home.

That is called freedom of choice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

The article, written after measures suggested by the airline industry, confirms what you're saying happens on the ground. It seems the industry is also better informed about on board practices than your hearsay opinion.

Do you ever listen to fight attendant safety announcements?

This is the standard verbiage, I've heard it thousands of times.

'For everyone’s safety, regulations require your compliance with all lighted signs, placards and crew member instructions'

Edited by GinBoy2

7 hours ago, alyx said:

I do hate wearing a mask and will only wear it where it is compulsory, e.g supermarkets.

I will not take a cab, bus, boat, bts because of the mask's rule.

This being said, I do feel that wearing a mask in public (not outside) is necessary and everyone should abide by it or avoid using these means of transportation: it does make the other travelers feel safe(r).

So, companies are right and those who disagree (about the mask) have to make other plans or stay home.

That is called freedom of choice.

This is a answer i like . Many times you do get a different answer , trying to change the rules because they say "freedom of choice" .   Nobody likes wearing masks , even if like me you have to wear them even before covid many times . They aren't the most pleasant things to wear but i surely believe they to stop a big part of the spread . So i stand behind any rules to say , wear masks when go outside home . I think it should be mandatory everywhere in the world when shopping/in transport / anywhere when people come together , to wear masks in these times . This also should include big fines when not wearing it . I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like to be operated if the nurses and doctor didn't wear a mask and gloves . History in medicine did have proven many points already , even when there aren't medicines/vaccines available 

When you don't like , its your free choice to stay home , nothing wrong with that . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

USA seems to be having a love in relationship with the Covid 19 virus.

I hope that most other countries tell the USA,  Stay Home we do not want your

version of the virus, thank you very much.

It seems that some idiots cannot even follow the rules in their own country.

GREAT!

Geezer

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

GREAT!

Geezer

What rules?

11 hours ago, sezze said:

This is a answer i like . Many times you do get a different answer , trying to change the rules because they say "freedom of choice" .   Nobody likes wearing masks , even if like me you have to wear them even before covid many times . They aren't the most pleasant things to wear but i surely believe they to stop a big part of the spread . So i stand behind any rules to say , wear masks when go outside home . I think it should be mandatory everywhere in the world when shopping/in transport / anywhere when people come together , to wear masks in these times . This also should include big fines when not wearing it . I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like to be operated if the nurses and doctor didn't wear a mask and gloves . History in medicine did have proven many points already , even when there aren't medicines/vaccines available 

When you don't like , its your free choice to stay home , nothing wrong with that . 

Masks are not recommended for most Americans. So I'm not sure what you are complaining about.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-cdc-says-americans-dont-have-to-wear-facemasks-because-of-coronavirus-2020-01-30

2 minutes ago, johnpetersen said:

WHO says:

• On April 6, the World Health Organization released new guidance saying that healthy people don't need to wear face masks to prevent coronavirus spread.
  • Masks should be for the sick, their caretakers, and healthcare workers, the WHO guidance said.
  • Scientists and public-health organizations can't agree on the best face-mask protocol, and the WHO guidelines go against the CDC's face-mask recommendations.

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-no-need-for-healthy-people-to-wear-face-masks-2020-4

So obviously, the matter is debatable, correct? And why would science change from January to now? The only reason is because it's not science.

1 hour ago, Crazy Alex said:

WHO says:

• On April 6, the World Health Organization released new guidance saying that healthy people don't need to wear face masks to prevent coronavirus spread.
  • Masks should be for the sick, their caretakers, and healthcare workers, the WHO guidance said.
  • Scientists and public-health organizations can't agree on the best face-mask protocol, and the WHO guidelines go against the CDC's face-mask recommendations.

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-no-need-for-healthy-people-to-wear-face-masks-2020-4

So obviously, the matter is debatable, correct? And why would science change from January to now? The only reason is because it's not science.

"And why would science change from January to now?" Really? I gave you the links to scientific studies. So they're not science why? Maybe, just possible it because it's an indisputable that It's  a question that has not been studied much before. Now, for obvious reasons it the subject of intense study now. And there are a lot more studies I didn't link to. They universally show that there's a strong link between wearing masks and preventing Covid infection. I can't believe that in the face of all this evidence anyone would think that not wearing a mask is no worse a choice than wearing one. Who could be so morally corrupt that he or she would do such a thing? I mean look at the example of Donald...oh wait a minute.

Edited by johnpetersen

1 hour ago, johnpetersen said:

"And why would science change from January to now?" Really? I gave you the links to scientific studies. So they're not science why? Maybe, just possible it because it's an indisputable that It's  a question that has not been studied much before. Now, for obvious reasons it the subject of intense study now. And there are a lot more studies I didn't link to. They universally show that there's a strong link between wearing masks and preventing Covid infection. I can't believe that in the face of all this evidence anyone would think that not wearing a mask is no worse a choice than wearing one. Who could be so morally corrupt that he or she would do such a thing? I mean look at the example of Donald...oh wait a minute.

Masks not effective:

https://www.reliasmedia.com/articles/114492-surgical-masks-not-effective-study-shows

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/new-study-questions-the-effectiveness-of-masks-against-sars-cov-2

Mixed answers:

https://www.livescience.com/are-face-masks-effective-reducing-coronavirus-spread.html

So obviously, the matter is in dispute.

And believe it or not, not all roads lead to Donald Trump. There is actually an entire world out there that doesn't involve your owner Trump.

18 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

GREAT!

Geezer

Seems we don't have quite the love relationship with COVID-19 that many other countries do!

https://www.statista.com/chart/21170/coronavirus-death-rate-worldwide/

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 3.09.52 PM.png

6 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Masks not effective:

https://www.reliasmedia.com/articles/114492-surgical-masks-not-effective-study-shows

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/new-study-questions-the-effectiveness-of-masks-against-sars-cov-2

Mixed answers:

https://www.livescience.com/are-face-masks-effective-reducing-coronavirus-spread.html

So obviously, the matter is in dispute.

And believe it or not, not all roads lead to Donald Trump. There is actually an entire world out there that doesn't involve your owner Trump.

Did you actually read the articles you linked to?

The second link is to an article which states right at the top that

Disclaimer: The study that this article discusses — “Effectiveness of surgical and cotton masks in blocking SARS-CoV-2” — was retracted by the authors following recommendations from the editors of Annals of Internal Medicine. The authors have admitted that the data that they analyzed in their study were “unreliable,” making their findings “uninterpretable.

The third link is to this article which states that:

Editor's Note (June 2 at 11:30 a.m.): One paper discussed in this article has been retracted by the journal the Annals of Internal Medicine, meaning that the paper included mistakes so serious that the findings of the research cannot be trusted. The authors wrote that their statistical methods could not determine whether the findings were reliable, making the results of the small study "uninterpretable." The study had found that surgical and cotton masks do not effectively contain viral droplets containing SARS-CoV-2. Subsequent research has suggested that face masks are an effective method for containing the spread of the virus, used along with staying six feet apart from other people.

The first article is about a study that at the time was unpublished at the time Did it ever pass peer review? And it's dated 2009.

This is the best that you can do?

Edited by johnpetersen