Exclusive: 'Sorry is not enough', Caribbean states say of British slavery apologies

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Now one thing we do know is that the German government of the day enslaved and murdered 6,000,000 Jewish people, and killed millions of others....You, me, and most of us KNOW they did, so should Germany pay for their genocide as you seem to think WE should pay for the slavery thing from centuries back.... ?

PS. Now please don't fuddle-duddle, just a yes or no will do, that is not confusing..

See my reply to your previous asking of this exact question. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Didn’t read beyond your false claim I smeared anyone. Show me the post where I did that and I’ll read the rest. 

Its OK, he didnt suggest that you did .

He just stated that you should take care not to do it (in future)

You can now read the rest of his post

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

See my reply to your previous asking of this exact question. 

No you haven't, you posted about individuals, not the German government of the day, now have another try...????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

No you haven't, you posted about individuals, not the German government of the day, now have another try...????

No,I answered your earlier question. Go read it. Post 67. 
You do realise that the individuals in the government of the day were involved don’t you?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

You should take care to not falsely smear Lloyds bank with Lloyds of London, they are unrelated. After Lloyds of London has now been called racist for deeds done hundreds of years ago, everybody must join in the chorus and bash Lloyds underwriters. If anybody fails to bash and trash Lloyds it is possible they themselves are a closet slaver/racist/witch and thus should be cancelled from all social media and lose their job and family etc etc. Off to change my Facebook profile to something showing rage and hate to Lloyds of London in case any of my friends think I am an evil racist and do not care for popular marxist and dismantling of capitalism and the police movements. Why is life so complicated in the age of enlightened liberalism?

What proof do you have that LLoyds of London actively participated in the slave trade. other than providing "insurance". 

The "modern" Lloyds of London was not formed or given a legal footing until after the 1833 abolition of slave trading.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

Always Countries and business are to repay.

I want to see individuals forced to repay for wrongs done in this

in theses days, not 200 yrs ago.

But , no, no, no. Liberals and "do gooders" are always , "no lets forgive

and forget".

If you can't think up a meaningful and equitable punishment for

the guy who steals your wallet or car, then how do expect 

someone to come up with equitable punishment for a crime

200 years old.

You know what, death is the only suitable  punishment, but 

who could stand to see that.

We won't even allow death for those that will kill you for

your wallet or car.

We are to civilized to fight for our own interest.

Long ago there was a movement started for those who felt slighted by

life and also for those who did evil in life.

Religion. We created a God who did the killing and punishment for us.

He has a hell and a lake of fire.

He also has streets paved in gold with mansions on both sides.

And now so many want to waste their only time in the universe for being

alive , trying to please this god.

We want to be good and sympathetic people as thieves and governments

steal out labor.

When our K9 teeth became something to whiten instead of killing

enemies we lost the battle for freedom. 

Today I am your slave and by god when chance arises you will 

become mine, this is todays world.

It will that way far into the future.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No,I answered your earlier question. Go read it. Post 67. 
You do realise that the individuals in the government of the day were involved don’t you?

No you haven't, I asked about the German government that were voted in power, not government individuals.....Now answer my question......Post...#122

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

What proof do you have that LLoyds of London actively participated in the slave trade. other than providing "insurance". 

The "modern" Lloyds of London was not formed or given a legal footing until after the 1833 abolition of slave trading.

Edward Lloyd (1686) was involved with the slave trade.....

Read all of this...

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/lloyds-london.asp#:~:text=With roots in marine insurance,place to purchase marine insurance.

And what about all the indentured white Indian and chinese labourers and convicts that replaced the slaves plus reparation by the african and arabian slavers that traded in slaves

Plus all the other companies and mill owners that thrived in that era and still exist today. The list never ends!

• Like 2

An apology is insufficient, reparations are required.

Grant independence for all Caribbean islands, be they Overseas Territories or Crown Dependencies of the British Crown, France, The Netherlands, etc.

Or, a wai and 500 baht each citizen....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

But a regional alliance of Caribbean countries said that Britain’s institutions should go much further than simply apologising and give some of the wealth back to the Caribbean by funding development at the epicentre of the slave trade.

“It is not enough to say sorry,” said Hilary Beckles, chairman of the CARICOM Reparations Commission which was set up by Caribbean countries to seek reparations from former colonial powers such as the United Kingdom, France and Portugal.

“We are not asking for anything as mendicant as handing out cheques to people on street corners,” Beckles told Reuters from Jamaica. “The issue of money is secondary, but in this instance the moral discharge of one’s duty does require in a market economy that you contribute towards development.”

I guess she doesn't realize that Boris Johnson has just disbanded the DfID.

56 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Is an insurance company. People bought shares in investment enterprises so that any potential loss was covered and any profit shared by all investors.

They may have insured slave transport ships but they were not responsible for what use the ships were put to. That was the decision of the ships owner(s). 

As has been said how far back do we go? Slave trading was abolished in UK is 1833. That is over 7 generations ago. How many people know who their ancestors were 7 generations ago and what they did for a living?

On my mother's side my family at that time were agricultural workers in England, and many of them were listed as living in the poor house at various times in their lives. These parish poor houses were funded by taxes on the rich, some of whom may well have traded in slaves; others may have supported the abolition of slavery. Should I pay reparations?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bannork said:

They knew how to demoralise the locals. Hopefully the pub was still standing. 

My mum was demoralised, bombed out of two houses, one whilst she was evacuated to N.Wales, the other when working on parts for the twin engined Mosquito....????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

But they were not hunted own by European in Africa were they. They were rounded up and captured by their fellow African brothers. European have organized the shipping but they could have done it without help from African slave traders. How do these African traders make reparations. 

Before the Europeans came, they were enslaved towards what we now call the Muslim World, where they were not allowed to have children seen the abundant supply. Without the Europeans, big chance nobody would have ever heard of these people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

An apology is insufficient, reparations are required.

Grant independence for all Caribbean islands, be they Overseas Territories or Crown Dependencies of the British Crown, France, The Netherlands, etc.

Or, a wai and 500 baht each citizen....

The Dutch government gave Hfl 3 BILLION to 360.000 inhabitants of Suriname ( = 1,3 million THB / person). This money is nearly all waisted, spoiled and gone. Half of the population already fled to Netherlands.

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, sprq said:

Appalled by the Atlantic slave trade,  I nevertheless used to joke with a Jamaican friend in London: "You were dead lucky. We took you out of the African jungle and put you on a Caribbean beach."

How many, you think, would love it to return to their very prosperous ancestrial lands, to the decendants of those, who sold their ancesters into slavery ?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

How many, you think, would love it to return to their very prosperous ancestrial lands, to the decendants of those, who sold their ancesters into slavery ?

None, because if they wanted to go, they would have gone already .

There's nothing stopping them from going 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1