Pubs and bars to open? They will hear their fate on Friday but PM favors later in July

webfact

Pubs and bars to open? They will hear their fate on Friday but PM favors later in July

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thailand is set to discuss opening its nightlife entertainment industry again at a meeting on Friday. 

Yesterday the Covid-19 committee headed by Gen Nathaphon Nakphanich met with representatives of pubs, bars, karaokes and other entertainment venues who urged him to ease their pain and initiate Phase 5 of the release from lockdown. 

This followed meetings with musicians earlier, reported Sanook. 

Gen Nathaphon said he understood the hardship and difficulties being faced by the industry but they had to understand that this had to be handled carefully with advice from the health professionals.

Mostly the opening of the industry would depend on whether the emergency decree is extended or not. 

Opinions would be taken forward and discussed at the Covid-19 meeting on Friday June 26th. 

Thai Rath provided a tantalizing ray of hope for the industry and its patrons desperate to get out drinking again in Thailand's massive nightlife industry. They quoted Gen Nathaphon as saying that the prime minister Prayut Chan-ocha favors all businesses reopening sometime in July. 

Sources: Sanook | Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-22

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

As there is no sign of his virus among people in the general population, this shows that the state of emergency is in place, purely for political reasons.

You are right but it's also a false excuse ''thai style'' to avoid to take a decision

in fact they are just trying to play the watch

the state of emergency wasn't a problem at all to reopen some weeks ago 

the massages, where the social distancing is not really possible for the happy ending

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

With no tourists, and a lot of the staff now living upcountry it's going to very difficult to re-open for a lot of the bars... 

Chatted with a owner of a bar/café here in Thonglor. 

That's what he wrote me last week :

"Due to staff issue. We’re looking forwards to opening within 2 weeks" 

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Chatted with a owner of a bar/café here in Thonglor. 

That's what he wrote me last week :

"Due to staff issue. We’re looking forwards to opening within 2 weeks" 

Bars are not allowed to open yet by the government

so nothing of a ''staff issue'' at the moment imo

Edited by kingofthemountain

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

Bars are not allowed to open yet by the government

so nothing of a ''staff issue'' at the moment imo

They call it "bar/café" , but it's a bar/restaurant. 

"Younger" in the beginning of Soi 55.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, philthebook said:

90% of bars, pubs and clubs cater for the domestic market, it's only the small percentage bars/clubs catering to foreign tourists that will struggle to make any money so open them up so people can get back to work and earn some money. 

Yeah, but it depends on where you're talking about. In Nakhon Nowhere and some areas of Bangkok it's mainly domestic. But certain areas of Bangkok (lower Sukhumvit, Silom etc.), and most of Phuket, Pattaya, Samui etc. the majority of bars and pubs need the tourists to make profit. 

It's expensive to open up when you've suddenly got to start paying full rent again, paying your staff, utilities etc. Bahtsold is full of bars and restaurants for sale that the owners have obviously decided it's not worth the bother. The money laundering places will obviously open as soon as they can.

I'm in favour of opening them up immediately but I just don't think it's as simple as that with the borders closed and the staff maybe having found other jobs, don't want to return to Bangkok etc. Clear direction from the cough "PM" would at least give them a chance to plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Gen Nathaphon said he understood the hardship and difficulties being faced by the industry but they had to understand that this had to be handled carefully with advice from the health professionals

Yet just another Military General in control of things here. Atrocious at best. Wonder if he is talking about Coz playing not health professional Anutin the top Xenophobic Nutter? Besides, all and everyone of these Generals are quite wealthy and I would think they really do not care and feel anything. 

• Like 1

Its not so much when the bars will open but what restrictions are then officially put in place to socially distance, wear face masks no interactions etc etc that will crucify the trade. Who wants to sit in a boozer like that. No one frankly....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

The longer they leave it, the more the prices will go up...

Maybe the longer they leave it, the more the prices (which the desperate and bankrupt owners will be prepared yo accept for the businesses) will go down. Could that be a factor in the languorous decision making process I wonder?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Here in Pattaya at some bars (fake restaurants) are sitting old Farangs with a big bottle of beer in front of them and this starts at daytime already. Almost nobody talks. I ask myself if this is the only entertainment that is left in their life. I don't want to end like this. 

They are sitting alone in some bars because of social distancing. 

But after being denied the opportunity for so long some just like to sit in a bar/pub/resto whatever and have a few beers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1