Trump opposed to removing Theodore Roosevelt's statue from outside Museum of Natural History

webfact

2 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Demolish, abolish, burn, destroy, let's make the world a better place. Who needs reminders of past greatness?

You left out ...Bomb them back to pre-historic times, reset and start again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Do you know if Pol Pot did something similar, or was it really only the educated he went for?

Possibly. The great temples of the Angkor area seem to have survived the madness of Kampuchea. There weren't many latter day statues in Cambodia.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Some statues should go but reasonable lines need to be drawn. 

I think all statues glorifying pro slavery confederate generals need to go. They were built long after the Civil War to prop up white supremacism. 

But this is getting ridiculous now. George Washington stays. It's doubtful that the USA as an admittedly flawed democracy would even exist without him. Jefferson stays. Christopher Columbus stays. What are they going to do? Change the name of the District of Columbia? 

I do understand the issues with this Teddy Roosevelt statue but I think it belongs on the side of the line of statues that can stay. 

People should focus on the confederate civil war stuff. Otherwise that movement will be diluted and invite a backlash. 

I hope someone doesn't screw up and tear down a statue of George Washington Carver by mistake.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Yep, it's very clear what you want to believe is the cause of the protests.

Well, not JUST that. Locking everyone up for a few months without giving them subsistence is the real cause, George Floyd was the trigger but the ones Imentioned are the ones taking advantage of the current moment. Not to mention, half these kids are $50k in debt for worthless degrees. I'd be mad too.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Well, not JUST that. Locking everyone up for a few months without giving them subsistence is the real cause, George Floyd was the trigger but the ones Imentioned are the ones taking advantage of the current moment. Not to mention, half these kids are $50k in debt for worthless degrees. I'd be mad too.

And as I said, my post is about trump's failure to respond in a manner that heals.

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:
27 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

And as I said, my post is about trump's failure to respond in a manner that heals.

I doubt the man understands the word "heal", let alone United.

Perhaps he thinks he's talking to a dog?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

There are certain things in history which you must leave for posterity’s sake,” Dumiso Dabengwa,

You can leave it to books or other media for documentation. 

And...... I walked on "Kaiserstrasse" in Windhuk.......!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

You can leave it to books or other media for documentation. 

And...... I walked on "Kaiserstrasse" in Windhuk.......!

Good idea and what happens on the next level when they want to destroy the books?  

Not a Trump fan as I am sure you all know, but for once I agree with him,

This anti evrything movement thing is a bit stupid & they are getting far too concerned about history we cannot change & not enough wholesome discussion on "where do we go from here" 

with positive action.

Pulling down our past (good or bad) solves zilch

• Like 2

This is all second nature to Trump. He cannot stop the slide into oblivion. He absolutely insists on being on the wrong side of history. He has assured his own defeat and his own fall into a lifetime of obscurity and irrelevance.

Who needs an opponent when you are shooting yourself in the foot daily? Go, Don go!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 4reaL said:

Wasn't it the Taliban that also destroyed all cultural statues? 

They didn't remove the statue of Felix Dzerzhinsky outside the Lubjianka. Or the statues of Michael Jackson, Hitler, Stalin, Bill Cosby or Jimmy Savile.

Should they all be returned?

Now they are talking about removing Lord Nelson’s statue. Doesn’t anybody realize removing a statue changes nothing about the past. And most of these statues were erected after the person was long dead, they had nothing to do with them. Learn from the past and look to the future.....change is in the future, not the past.

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Good idea and what happens on the next level when they want to destroy the books?  

already happening.  volumes are disappearing from library shelves, many "offensive" books are no longer offered on amazon, disney cartoons are no longer run or are "revised," elmer fudd's shotgun has been replaced with an axe.  heck, they even airbrushed wolverine's cigar out of the republished comics.

• Thanks 1

Looks like next up is Madame Tussauds wax museum, and all of the statues of those people considered to be racist will have to be melted down, and turned into little fluffy unicorns and pretty ponies because of this whole snowflake woke movement.  Looks like another business will fold.....so sad

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1