Songkran substitute holidays to be spread over 3 weekends

webfact

Exactly when will these extended holiday weekends take place, and what will be the parameters for the Thais as far as water fights and such...

Okay I think I found one of them and its just after school starts on 1 July. The long-weekend holiday to mark Asanha Bucha and Khao Phansa will run from July 4 to 7, Culture Minister Ittipol Khunpluem confirmed after Tuesday’s (June 23) Cabinet meeting.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Exactly when will these extended holiday weekends take place, and what will be the parameters for the Thais as far as water fights and such...

Okay I think I found one of them and its just after school starts on 1 July. The long-weekend holiday to mark Asanha Bucha and Khao Phansa will run from July 4 to 7, Culture Minister Ittipol Khunpluem confirmed after Tuesday’s (June 23) Cabinet meeting.

Reported elsewhere that the extra lent holidays are not Songkran replacements;

9 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Reported elsewhere that the extra lent holidays are not Songkran replacements;

Got it, I knew i was wrong.  Missed the article that came afterwards and did not read the section about not replacement songkran holidays.  But then why add more days to the Buddhist holidays?  This country and there holidays always confuse the <deleted> out of me

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The move to break up the substitute holidays would ensure minimum disruption to productivity as civil servants and others worked to get the country back on its feet after the Covid-19 outbreak, he added.

As well as put the brakes on any extended partying...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

I think if i was in full-time employment and had public holidays taken away from me and being made to work instead, i'd want those days back, or at least paid extra 

Yeah this annoys me no end, I love the week off work the Songkran public holidays give me.

Ohh well 3 long weekends is better than just having the cancelled altogether so will still enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

People are just not thinking this through.  We have got to have the annual culling of kids and drunks on motorbikes that happens on Song Kran, otherwise the population will increase too much..  It's not a holiday, it's population control. 

Damn..beat me to it by 15 mins!!  Yep gotta thin the herd out and beat last years #s.....Fate of Fast n Furious

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

I think if i was in full-time employment and had public holidays taken away from me and being made to work instead, i'd want those days back, or at least paid extra 

So, are you saying they have not received pay for the days they have been working? 

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You need to remember that many Hotels also closed and laid off staffs.  Here in Bangkok the Lumpini Aetas Hotel closed completely as well as many others, and all of those folks have been unemployed and not working.  Schools have been closed and teachers unemployed and students not attending for over 3 months.  The service industry for the Malls, restaurants and stores had also been closed up with those folks laid off.  People have just started to return to work.  Factory workers, hospital staff and then other businesses were able to stay open with reduced hours, working from home and even some laid off.  Re-think your statement that Thailand is more than just a bargirl/nightlife scene to also add in what I have written and maybe you will see the bigger picture of the reason why these extra holidays are a drain on society.  As I stated in an earlier post, those companies where people worked the original canceled holidays should be paid for there time or given floating holidays to take as needed.  To add extra days away from work for everyone after the workers and schools are just reopening is lunacy......

And in my very next post I stated 'Workers who have earned their holidays should not have them stripped away.'.

I also stated that the holidays should be floating.

In other words I am agreeing with you.

I was replying to a very crass and selfish post by 'Henryford', who thinks that people do not deserve holidays, unless it affects him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Just accept that the pandemic made it impossible to have a Song Kran this year. Get over it!

That is easy to say but when you have worked half of a year without a break you do start to get jaded.

Workers who have earned their holidays should not have them stripped away.

However, these holidays should be floating, giving the worker the choice in when they take their breaks.

This would be better for the workers and would also prevent disruptions to Thai industries.

First: There are free days per year for the ones that works for companies that really employs them legally. Those days can be freely chosen in accordance to that the work force at the time is still intact.

WOW! You must have been lazy in your work! Talking about having worked an terrible amount of 6 month and get jaded???? ???????? Seriously?

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

And in my very next post I stated 'Workers who have earned their holidays should not have them stripped away.'.

I also stated that the holidays should be floating.

In other words I am agreeing with you.

I was replying to a very crass and selfish post by 'Henryford', who thinks that people do not deserve holidays, unless it affects him.

Got it Thaks

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

First: There are free days per year for the ones that works for companies that really employs them legally. Those days can be freely chosen in accordance to that the work force at the time is still intact.

What are the free days you speak of ?

10 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

What are the free days you speak of ?

I would be happy if you in the future check up things before just posting strange questions. Starting to get annoying now. It´s all in the labour law as in any other country. Below you see a simple version of it:

Annual Vacation

• An employee who has worked continuously for one full year shall be entitled to an annual vacation of not less than six working days.
  • An employee is entitled to get his basic pay on his annual vacation.
  • For an employee who has worked for less than one year, the employer may grant the employee an annual vacation on a pro-rata basis.
  • An employer is entitled to arrange an annual vacation and notify an employee in advance, or arrange as their agreement.
  • An employer and employee may agree in advance that the annual vacation be cumulative and postponed and taken together with that of the following year.
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

6 months of working 12 hours a day and 6 days a week without a real break.

Try walking in my shoes (or the shoes of most Thai workers) before making such a stupid comment.

I think it´s better you walk in my shoes and learn what work is before you tell me I make stupid comments. I am fully aware of what I am posting about. I work 7 days a week for, in general between 10-15 hours depending on the work load. So, I guess Bert knocked on the wrong door. ????????

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I would be happy if you in the future check up things before just posting strange questions. Starting to get annoying now. It´s all in the labour law as in any other country. Below you see a simple version of it:

Annual Vacation

• An employee who has worked continuously for one full year shall be entitled to an annual vacation of not less than six working days.
  • An employee is entitled to get his basic pay on his annual vacation.
  • For an employee who has worked for less than one year, the employer may grant the employee an annual vacation on a pro-rata basis.
  • An employer is entitled to arrange an annual vacation and notify an employee in advance, or arrange as their agreement.
  • An employer and employee may agree in advance that the annual vacation be cumulative and postponed and taken together with that of the following year.

Annual leave as stipulated by the Thai Labour Act. is not a "free day".

So what are the free days you speak of ?