No name, no pint - new rules for England's pubs after lockdown

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, DaLa said:

I’m not usually concerned about being tracked, or even troubled by the proposal to introduce ID cards a few years ago in the UK. Recently however in Thailand I have been registering via my mobile number when out shopping.

I use My phone to contact a few farang friends and my wife but have recently experienced an upsurge in cold calls from people I don’t know.  At present this is only mildly annoying, but I don’t want to end up with the problem I have with my email where every business you contact wants your address and you end up being bombarded with superfluous information.

We are deluding ourselves if we think our privacy is sacrosanct.

Perhaps the answer is to still give your correct number, but with a different name?

Then anyone calling you (who doesn't identify themselves as part of the Covid response team) will let you know it's a cold call and you can claim they have the wrong number.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Why dont they just use the track and trace app they paid for?

Oh yeah wait. Just more money donated to Conservative party friends which ended up providing nothing.

Exactly the reason for this is because the track and trace is not working despite assurances that it is.  Interesting (for me) that they chose to feature one of my drinking haunts in the photograph, maybe because it is one of the very few pubs in London that serve Thai food!  It used be one of my favorites in the eighties when all the Kensington totty used to go there.  

So giving your name and contact details, it will be interesting to see just how many Disney characters do actually drink in English pubs ???? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Talking about false names: In the past, because no Thai retailer ever, ever, checked the signature on my bank card with the one on the sales slip, I've always signed my name as Enid Blyton. Why? Just because I could. Twice I signed as Rumpelstiltskin.

It is pretty much irrelevant nowadays, there are cleverer ways of ensuring your transaction isn't fraudulent.

Speaking of which my HSBC Visa debit card expires this month and my bank claim they sent me a replacement card on April 20th. I haven't received it , so upon telling the bank of this they ask me to phone them.

This process of phoning a bank is so long winded with all their security questions I told them it was out of the question.

I then discover that their suggestion of phoning and having the charges reversed so long as I use an international operator is no longer possible in Thailand.

We shall see what brilliant suggestions they come up with from Ashwini, Chakra, Kamala and Pradeep.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

It is pretty much irrelevant nowadays, there are cleverer ways of ensuring your transaction isn't fraudulent.

I'm talking about a Thai bank debit card.

Sure, now they tend to request you enter your six-digit PIN for a debit card transaction, but that isn't compulsory with Thai retailers - they can still opt for the signature verification method.

2 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Speaking of which my HSBC Visa debit card expires this month and my bank claim they sent me a replacement card on April 20th. I haven't received it , so upon telling the bank of this they ask me to phone them.

This process of phoning a bank is so long winded with all their security questions I told them it was out of the question.

I then discover that their suggestion of phoning and having the charges reversed so long as I use an international operator is no longer possible in Thailand.

We shall see what brilliant suggestions they come up with from Ashwini, Chakra, Kamala and Pradeep.

When I lived in Thailand I retained a UK address so that I could keep my UK issued credit/debit cards.  Without it the cards could not be renewed when they expired.  I assume you are British and have the same arrangement.  Unless the banks have changed their policy and you can now have a UK card without a UK address. 

If you are not British or not living in Thailand then of course I am completely off kilter.

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Give it a miss. Though I'm stuck in the UK currently, 200 baht for a pint in my local is daft

3 pound 12 (120 baht) where I am. That's cheaper than my favourite pubs in Bangkok. BUT I have no idea what London prices are.

19 hours ago, bellboy said:

My name is... Jack Daniels... 

My name is Jill Daniels ..

Oh, you are awful , but i like you ..

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

When I lived in Thailand I retained a UK address so that I could keep my UK issued credit/debit cards.  Without it the cards could not be renewed when they expired.  I assume you are British and have the same arrangement.  Unless the banks have changed their policy and you can now have a UK card without a UK address. 

If you are not British or not living in Thailand then of course I am completely off kilter.

l

Obviously , they the banks and building societies ,

know when we use our accounts , outside of UK .

Fake addresses , are illegal . 

Game over , soon ..

5 hours ago, Trillian said:

Why wouldn't you just give your real name and number and be helpful, do you have something to hide, apart from your real name and number that is!

Present a recent utility bill .

That will attract the right type , of customer .

Riff raff , not welcome ..

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Desperate days for both pub goers and others in the UK, whether they reveal their names or not.

The UK is now facing the prospect of being downgraded to a developing economy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/pound-sterling-developing-country-currency-brexit-a9583106.html

A pint of bitter please, and a packet of salt n' vinegar.

More countries will be downgraded too, France, Italy and Spain will have a higher drop in GDP for this year.

London pubs vary a lot.  Average for a pint of Peroni or Spitfire is about £4.50.  I don't drink the stuff and always buy a bottle of wine for between £15 and £20.  But going out to the pub is more about socializing than just drinking for the sake of it, isn't it?Unless you are only interested in the cheapest pint and where to get it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

More countries will be downgraded too, France, Italy and Spain will have a higher drop in GDP for this year.

But at least they have the EU market to rely on.

Edited by bannork
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, robblok said:

People seem to want it all pubs back to normal as if there is no corvid. I hope they really check ID as its needed for contact tracing. 

They doing the same in Thailand and its the same crazy corvid deniers that don't want to help. But at the same time they cry when pubs and bars can't open. Seems a bit hypocritical to me. 

Ask your name. 

Maybe question be to difficult for them? ????

or have secret name.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Obviously pubs will have to see ID probably take a photo of it, driving licence maybe? It has an address on it, they will not just accept any old name by law, please don't blame the landlord

Prices will rocket due to an almost doubling of staff to do table service and monitor doors and seating, I would say in the region of 20% increase, that's what we are planning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Obviously pubs will have to see ID probably take a photo of it, driving licence maybe? It has an address on it, they will not just accept any old name by law, please don't blame the landlord

Prices will rocket due to an almost doubling of staff to do table service and monitor doors and seating, I would say in the region of 20% increase, that's what we are planning.

Easier to go to the local off licence and buy some beer.  

This has been doing the rounds on Facebook.

"As pub companies now rush to finalise plans before reopening on the 4th, please remember that not a single member of bar staff is suddenly an expert in disease control, politics or even the policies of their own Pub Co.

So when 20 of you show up to finally go out on the lash after 3 months of lockdown, it's not the minimum wage barmaid's decision to tell you no, but she HAS to anyway.

When 6 of you try to book a meal because you've not seen your grandkids for 3 months, it's not the manager's fault group sizes are limited so don't demand to see them and tell them they're wrong.

BoJo is again relying on the "common sense of the people" (don't get me started) so PLEASE remember that when pubs aren't exactly how you remember them, or hoped they would be, we've all been in lockdown too.

No, we can't just move some tables together. No, we can't turn a blind eye (you know, just this once). And no, a bad Trip Advisor review won't help.

Things will get back to normal, just not straight away. Please be patient us. And show some common sense"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1