Dixie Chicks drop Dixie from name; country group tries to 'meet the moment'

webfact

20 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Faulty logic often crops up about the civil war. Nobody claims slavery was a decent institiution, but many like to make out it was only white southerners who were involved when the whole country was built on slavery and 11 presidents up until 1860 had been slave owners at some time.

Freeing the slaves has become a smokecreen excuse for the war when at the time it was not seen as such. If it was about slavery why did not Lincoln free the slaves in the north at the start? and how could the south be involed in a war to keep salvery when the Union had not threatended to end it? Lincoln never freed any slaves in the north and famously said if he could have saved the Union without freeing any slaves or some and not others he would have.

Slavery could have been ended as it was in most other coutries- peacefully, but Lincoln decided an invasion and laying waste to his own country was the only way to go. As for escaped freed slaves making it to the north they were refused entry to some states and put into camps in others, sometimes refered to as the first concentration camps. Had he lived Lincoln had a plan to ship many back to Liberia whether they liked it or not.

Slavery was evil but a war to force the CSA back into the Union which they legally left was also, cost at least 620k lives and ruined the country. Sherman of course beat, raped and split families apart as well on his Georgia terror campaign. It was not all one side bad the other all rightious and heroic. Freeing slaves (in theory) was a tactic to win the war, and preserve the Union not the cause.

The "whole country" wasn't built on slavery. It contributed, for sure. Times change and attitudes change and it usually doesn't happen overnight. Jefferson (slave owner) in 1785 treatise on slavery wrote "Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep forever." In 1808 US stopped importation of slaves.  Lincoln was an astute politician and knew he couldn't get the whole package in one fell swoop. Why did the South leave when Lincoln was elected? It is disingenuous to try to argue the South left for reasons other than their "peculiar institution". The balance of power between North and South, "the compromise of 1850" would no longer work. Lincoln was an abolitionist.

"Slavery could have been ended as it was in most other coutries- peacefully" I suggest you study some history of slave revolts in other countries, and the US.

South started the war by firing on Fort Sumter, doing the North a favor. "Lincoln decided an invasion and laying waste to his own country was the only way to go." And how do you explain this decision? Did he just "have a gut feeling"?  Firing on Sumter similar to Hitler declaring war on US after Pearl Harbor, relieving FDR of task convincing Congress to declare war on Germany.

I'd like to hear more about escaped slaves being refused entry (Could it be based on Dred Scott decision? That humans as property laws could be enforced in "free states"?) And the number of slaves fleeing the south was overwhelming. Think of similar refugee crises in Syria and surrounding countries. There was also question of status: were they freed people or contraband? As far as concentration camps go, consider Andersonville prison in Georgia: 1/3 of Union prisoners died. Northern prisons weren't much better, btw..

"...a war to force the CSA back into the Union which they legally left..." There is nothing in the Constitution regarding leaving the union. The Southern states joined the union freely. There is a section on traitors, making war against the US and the South fit that description.

Of course atrocities were inflicted by both sides.

Uncle Billy Sherman tried to warn the South "You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization!"

"If the people raise a howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war, and not popularity-seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war."

And here's another mad decision that panders to BLM snowflakes:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53201667

"Simpsons ends use of white actors to voice people of colour"

There's no mention whether they will also ban any black/Asian/POC etc person from doing voiceovers for Caucasians.  Of course not, 'cos that would be RACIST, wouldn't it?  [/sarcasm]

My opinion -  "Us blacks will only use us blacks for anything to do with us blacks, and you whites are not allowed to do anything that could tenuously be linked to us blacks".

It's apartheid by another name.