Android T.V. boxes (hardware and software) for "dummies"

Jingthing

OK, I recently upgraded my truly ancient non-Android WD t.v. box to a modern Android t.v. box. 

The change is massive. I got the Magicsee N5 Max at about 1500 baht which seems to be a good box but I realized quickly there was a better choice for my needs but I'll work with this for now anyway. 

Having an Android phone helped a lot with the learning curve but I'm still experiencing a number of issues that are at least temporarily a downgrade from my user experience with the ancient tv box.

But I'm fairly confident that over time I can resolve most of them at least.

The first critical thing that will help a lot is the need for a Bluetooth mini keyboard and mouse so I will order that soon. 

The idea of this topic is to provide a space for people to ask all kinds of basic questions about these boxes in the spirit of realizing we're not all tech geeks. Tech geeks are most welcome to answer but if you really don't know something, no matter how basic, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

I'll keep this at an introductory level here but will likely have a number of issues/questions to post about later. I may wait until I've got the keyboard mouse going though as I don't want to bother asking about things that will likely solve.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

First question.

My box is connected to my Windows 10 PC by ethernet (LAN wire), not wireless.

Previously I was always able to link my ancient WD box to my PC and could view it by looking at the network devices.

That was I could access the external USB drive (videos) connected to the box for moving files from the PC and also deleting, renaming files etc.

This is not working with my new box.

I was able to specify share on the Android box and an icon showed up on my windows network called DLNA player Media Center. Clicking on it hoping to see the USD drive instead it simply launches an unformatted webpage about the device.

I think where I get the Bluetooth mouse that I will be able to delete and rename files from the drive. But that doesn't solve copying files from the PC. 

So for now we're talking sneaker net! OMG, may as well get a rotary phone. 

Any idea on how I can fix this?

On the file list (to look at the files on the USB drive) the type size is too small for me to read without getting close to the tv. Yes, you might say get better glasses, but I didn't have that problem with the ancient box. So I want to increase the font size of the text of the files on the list. I assume there is a way to do that. So, how?

The remote control.

It has these four colored buttons on the bottom of it.

Red, green, yellow, blue.

Mine is like the picture.

I found another source which shows icons on the buttons.

The red one is an apps list icon and indeed it works for that from the homepage.

The green is a music icon. I click and nothing happens. So this needs to be linked to an app?

The yellow is a movies icon. Same question. 

The blue is a black box with a star in it. What's that supposed to be for?

In case you're wondering, the "user manual" was a joke.

magic.jpg.8eff43da665e1f4bc43b080e573f169c.jpg

I'm not sure if this is what the OP is talking about but I have a Mecool M8s Max TV android box that cost to buy from Aliexpress for like $50-60, connected to my LG Tv loaded with streaming IPTV Apps i buy from China for like $20 subscription fee a year and it has like 12,000 channels from all over the world including like zillion of sport channels and i'm very happy with it...

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The first critical thing that will help a lot is the need for a Bluetooth mini keyboard and mouse so I will order that soon. 

The first thing i did was put the mini keyboard in the bin.....................too small for the fingers............i find the on screen keyboard easier............

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That was I could access the external USB drive (videos) connected to the box for moving files from the PC and also deleting, renaming files etc.

Is there not a file manager of some sort on the box?

ES File Explorer for example

ES File Explorer is a file manager/explorer designed by ES Global, a subsidiary of DO Global, for Android devices. It includes features like cloud storage integration, file transfer from Android to Windows via FTP or LAN, and a root browser.

Edited by thaiflyer1
  • Thanks 1

I made a housewide ethernet for my magicsee n5 boxes. I have 4. Mini keypads are a must as the remotes are rubbish. I connect via a 4 port hub. So internet in , computer, tv and   android box in  out all then individually connected  to the smart tv via hdmi. Only changing the source as required. This is repeated downstairs. Where I just want the tv and nothing else I just use the inbuilt wifi.

Edited by uncleP
Brain damage
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I'm not sure if this is what the OP is talking about but I have a Mecool M8s Max TV android box that cost to buy from Aliexpress for like $50-60, connected to my LG Tv loaded with streaming IPTV Apps i buy from China for like $20 subscription fee a year and it has like 12,000 channels from all over the world including like zillion of sport channels and i'm very happy with it...

I wasn't specifically but the intention of this thread is more generic for all people figuring out how best to use their boxes. 

41 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

The first thing i did was put the mini keyboard in the bin.....................too small for the fingers............i find the on screen keyboard easier............

I need the Bluetooth mouse more than anything. The remote mouse function is unusable. 

3 minutes ago, uncleP said:

I made a housewide ethernet for my magicsee n5 boxes. I have 4. Mini keypads are a must as the remotes are rubbish. I connect my com via a hub. So internet, cable tv, computer, and android box  in and out to the smart tv. Only changing the source as required. This is repeated downstairs. Where I just want the tv and nothing else I just use the inbuilt wifi.

That's interesting but I wouldn't know exactly how to set that up technically. 

42 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Is there not a file manager of some sort on the box?

ES File Explorer for example

ES File Explorer is a file manager/explorer designed by ES Global, a subsidiary of DO Global, for Android devices. It includes features like cloud storage integration, file transfer from Android to Windows via FTP or LAN, and a root browser.

I don't see functions like that on what was included. Thanks for the tip. 

Use a dongle on the box connected to your mouse. I stopped using my keyboard a long time ago. 

Download Mobro,,, you will get sport and news all in one app. 

Then pick what apps you want. 

I basically use Netflix and Modbro,,,, have many other apps, but revert back to these two mainly. 

Keep it simple, for a start, then, then get used to "managing it"? 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kildonan said:

Use a dongle on the box connected to your mouse. I stopped using my keyboard a long time ago. 

I basically use Netflix and Modbro,,,, have many other apps, but revert back to these two mainly. 

Keep it simple, for a start, then, then get used to "managing it"? 

I dont think the OP is looking for streaming apps at this stage, he appears to be wanting to navigate between computer and Android box, copy files etc.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, you mention the font being to small etc. Is that on the android box/TV screen ? What app are you using to view files ?

I'm using the File Browser included with the box. I don't see anything on that about changing fonts. I haven't downloaded anything yet. I haven't even linked the box to my google account yet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont think the OP is looking for streaming apps at this stage, he appears to be wanting to navigate between computer and Android box, copy files etc.

Not quite yet. I've already used youtube though and I plan on checking out different options later. Heard good things about Streamio. 

14 minutes ago, Kildonan said:

I basically use Netflix and Modbro,,,, have many other apps, but revert back to these two mainly. Keep it simple, for a start, then, then get used to "managing it"? 

So you seem to be saying I will need a Bluetooth mouse but can do without the Bluetooth keyboard. This kind of box is so new to me that I'm just not really sure about that unless I actually try things out myself.

That intro video I posted here mentioned Modbro so that was already on my radar.

Edited by Jingthing

OP, you can grab a cheap wireless keyboard/mouse (not bluetooth)

A small transmitter/receiver plugs into USB port, mouse and keyboard both connect via that. Local IT mall will have them for 200-300 baht

image.png.a63a45475a0413d10db637339efd9f5a.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dodgybros said:

This may be painful to watch, but it is about your android box.

It looks from the opening part of this video that this particular box has USB ports on one side... which would mean the owner ought to be able to simply plug in a regular PC USB mouse, and it should work fine just as it would on a regular PC. The Android TV devices will automatically recognize a plugged in USB mouse.

PS - Normally on an Android TV device, a Bluetooth or USB mouse will give you a cursor when operating within any app. But it won't give you a cursor at the OS level.

It also looks like there's a microSD slot there next to the USB ports, which would allow the user to copy files or APKs onto the device using a microSD card, and/or to play audio or video files stored on the card on the TV device.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

anyone know how to upgrade the android software? my youtube app has stopped working

On an Android TV, the way to check for software upgrades is under the Settings menu, and then an item usually labeled something like Check for Update.

But if the problem is with a specific app, you can go to Settings, then Apps, clear the cache and data settings for the app there, and then uninstall and reinstall the app there to start from fresh.  If the app is part of the system image installed by the manufacturer, as YouTube being a Google app often will be, doing what I describe will reset the app to the original manufacturer version. And then you can update it from there to the latest version the the Google Play Store on the device.

8 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

anyone know how to upgrade the android software? my youtube app has stopped working

Depends on the box, there may not be an option. Usually you will find software upgrade in settings or an app for upgrades/patches etc. If the option isnt there its not really possible unless you want to root the deice, etc (not recommended)

You may need to revert back to an older version of the app, so it continues to work with your android version. Then tell playstore etc not to update.

Edited by Peterw42

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm using the File Browser included with the box. I don't see anything on that about changing fonts. I haven't downloaded anything yet. I haven't even linked the box to my google account yet. 

You can usually change font size but its a system wide setting, not for an individual app. 

This is a somewhat off-topic post, but OP indicated that the thread was meant for 'non-tech geeks' with questions on how to use an Android TV box.

My wife fully meets that description as she does not understand and is not interested in techie stuff.  A separate Android TV box and thus having one remote for the TV and another for the TV Box would already be 'too difficult'.

So when her old TV broke down, we went to buy a new one, and I persuaded her to take the SMART Android model (5.900 THB) rather than the regular one (4.300 THB).  And that turns out to be the perfect solution for her, because super-simple.

Only one remote to operate the Android TV, and it has a large button to switch from regular TV channel to Netflix, and one to switch to Youtube and one to switch to all other Android options.

Perfect for her!  And also for me, because otherwise she would always want me to help her out with the 'infinite' possibilities of modern tech-stuff. ????

I used my smartphone with dTac 4 MBps unlimited data package as WifiHub to make the connection with the TV (once again super-simple) and works perfectly without any buffering.

= = = = = =

Below the specifications of that 5.900 THB Android TV we bought in case someone recognizes his wife (or himself) in my post and wants to go same road.

• SHARP 32" Android TV - 2T-C32BG1X
  • LED Blacklight TV Aquos
  • NetFlix / YouTube
  • Google Play movies & TV / Google Assistant
  • Bluetooth / Dolby Audio / HDMI / DV3T2

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, you can grab a cheap wireless keyboard/mouse (not bluetooth)

A small transmitter/receiver plugs into USB port, mouse and keyboard both connect via that. Local IT mall will have them for 200-300 baht

image.png.a63a45475a0413d10db637339efd9f5a.png

Bought the Logitech last week for somebody from HabourMall JIB price is 750 baht though not 200 to 300.........get what you pay for i suppose

https://jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/9626