Visa amnesty extended to September 30?

33 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

Beyond the speculative nature of the whole article, there is no way that site has any connection to real news sources.  To do so would make it a media outlet, and that means it would have to be Thai owned and operated.

But why would a Thai owned/operated news site be registered and hosted in the United States?

image.png.fd86f4173c80e9ac2221d79268a0bf59.png

Because it's ran by an American Expat who wants to bring independent news outside the "truth" of the Thai Goverment?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

https://aot-portal.kdlab.dev/bkk

current departures situation in Suvarnabhumi ℅ AOT, practically zero chance of flying out atm. I went to post office today to send my brother (U.K) his birthday present..... nope, not possible, no airmailing either apparently.

I called my pension providers in the UK about 3 weeks ago to get an annual pension letter. The first one came by email a couple of days later and I got another by airmail today, so some airmail letters are coming through in dribs and drabs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Yeah, but it's true and relevant to the situation many are facing.  They just used it as an example of how stressed everyone is.  

LOL. Stressed?? I am not stressed at all, if I have to leave (and don't want to go on overstay) then I will leave. Whatever, so what??

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-departures/

Different list i don't know how you find departures where show only cancelled flight. Watch from right place!

My friend flight Helsinki yesterday and i go next week. He had nothing problem what so ever! Only sht to use that face mask hole flight .

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, clorox said:

im still confident there will be another amnesty of some kind, it is unreasonable to just kick everybody on that date

it is unreasonable to just kick everybody on that date

Not necessarily so, this is Thailand remember.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw a pig fly today,,,,maybe, maybe not.  However, would it really matter.  Until its posted in the Royal Gazette rumors and speculation are just what unfortunately people are spreading.  Relax and enjoy until you can not enjoy it anymore.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Many of us don’t have a safe place to go.  In my case, I face a minimum of 5 weeks of quarantine In my country, and I am not even sure if I will be allowed to go to my home town.  If I do make it home, I will be living in a seriously infected area where the hospitals are overflowing.  Oh, and I am in a high risk group because of my age.  So, yah some of us are stressed.

Well the amnesty will clearly be extended anyway, borders are closed and there is about 1 flight a day leaving, so don't worry.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I called my pension providers in the UK about 3 weeks ago to get an annual pension letter. The first one came by email a couple of days later and I got another by airmail today, so some airmail letters are coming through in dribs and drabs.

Airmail is arriving from the outside world, but I think still not possible to send from Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, earliest date for an official announcement would be after the Cabinet meeting next Tuesday 21 July.  If no decision made at that meeting, it would then be earliest 28 July.  And if no decision made at that end of July Cabinet meeting, it would be Improvisation Mode by Immigration to deal with those unable to leave the country and not being able to regularize their expired permission to stay situation.

28th is a holiday, no work

17 minutes ago, potless said:

Thailand is desperate for the tourist dollar and as such, I cannot see why the government should be in any hurry to kick out people who are content to remain a while and are solvent. Give them all another 90 days would seem the obvious thing but I am aware TIT.

If Thailand saw chasing the tourist dollar as the overarching priority, they should be talking earnestly with China about a travel bubble that would allow supervised Chinese tour groups to return. The risks on either side would be low, and it would bring a lot of needed stimulus to the tourism sector.

That is not to say there is not merit in keeping existing foreigners in Thailand to stimulate the hospitality industry. There is some value, but most foreigners here now are not free spending tourists, making the most of a holiday away from the daily grind.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That is not to say there is not merit in keeping existing foreigners in Thailand to stimulate the hospitality industry. There is some value, but most foreigners here now are not free spending tourists, making the most of a holiday away from the daily grind.

Have any Chinese tour groups ever been seen as 'free spending' by anyone except 7-11?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eibot said:

Because it's ran by an American Expat who wants to bring independent news outside the "truth" of the Thai Goverment?

Quite likely an expat, whether it is an American or otherwise.  But I'm not sure if there is any "truth" to the content that is being discussed here.  It's rumor and speculation.

Regardless, if they look like a media outlet, act like a media outlet, and present themselves as a media outlet (which seems to be just what they are doing) then they may very well be subject to Thai media ownership laws.

Of course, media outlets shouldn't be passing rumor and speculation off as news, so that might be a good legal argument if they ever got in trouble for being an unregistered media corporation operating in Thailand.  "Hey, we're not a media outlet!  We're just posting rumors and speculation!" 

I have my own opinions about media ownership laws generally, though I don't have any specifically about the laws in Thailand.  And even if I did, who would care?!  It isn't up to me - or any of us - to decide what does/doesn't violate Thai law.

Edited by asiacurious

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Have any Chinese tour groups ever been seen as 'free spending' by anyone except 7-11?.

All the Chinese tour groups I have ever seen stay in hotels. Many of them go to mid range Chinese restaurants. My observation is that a considerable number of them shop. They do not tend to frequent the gogo bars, but they do engage in other nighttime activities. When they visit Pattaya, they very often hit the ladyboy shows, often as groups.

5 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

https://aot-portal.kdlab.dev/bkk

current departures situation in Suvarnabhumi ℅ AOT, practically zero chance of flying out atm. I went to post office today to send my brother (U.K) his birthday present..... nope, not possible, no airmailing either apparently.

No air mailing seriously? not even a tiny letter? Hmm I understood cargo was kind of regular at least as I haven't noticed any supply disruptions at all... amazon etc also going on pretty much as normal

From the advice out of many western embassies and most news from Thai media, it seem to point to the direction that the visa amnesty will not be extended. Everyone who want to stay is best to have plan to get other visas..  Immigration office in Pattaya has a post in the office that you can book app online from July 15th.  It seems that Pattaya IO is prepared to handle big traffic after July 15.

It is best to have contingence at this point in time from the best I can gather.

Good luck, everyone.

I saw a lot of people at Jomtien IO.  I won't say it is packed but it is quite full.

A little surprised.  Do not know if foreigners are there as they don't believe that visa amnesty will be extended. 

Anyone can shed some light on that.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, actually.  They are taken to Chinese and Elite-owned businesses here, who have "deals" with the tour companies, where they spend the rest of their spare-cash.  It's the average Thais, and anyone else trying to enjoy Thailand, who experience only a downside effect.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, worldfun said:

No air mailing seriously? not even a tiny letter? Hmm I understood cargo was kind of regular at least as I haven't noticed any supply disruptions at all... amazon etc also going on pretty much as normal

It was a very small package, the staff were adamant that there’s no outbound mail happening 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, asiacurious said:

Quite likely an expat, whether it is an American or otherwise.  But I'm not sure if there is any "truth" to the content that is being discussed here.  It's rumor and speculation.

Regardless, if they look like a media outlet, act like a media outlet, and present themselves as a media outlet (which seems to be just what they are doing) then they may very well be subject to Thai media ownership laws.

Of course, media outlets shouldn't be passing rumor and speculation off as news, so that might be a good legal argument if they ever got in trouble for being an unregistered media corporation operating in Thailand.  "Hey, we're not a media outlet!  We're just posting rumors and speculation!" 

I have my own opinions about media ownership laws generally, though I don't have any specifically about the laws in Thailand.  And even if I did, who would care?!  It isn't up to me - or any of us - to decide what does/doesn't violate Thai law.

Seems very similar to how a US news station operates ????