Visa amnesty extended to September 30?

44 minutes ago, Eibot said:

LOl, I expect the borders to be open by then and the quarantine rules to be mild. They can hop right back in. 

I think you are wrong, but I suspect there will be very many gambling that this is the case. When it gets to September 20th with no announcement of yet another amnesty, there will be gnashing of teeth and complaints about how unfair it is that there is no amnesty when the option of a simple border bounce is unavailable. I foresee a real mess, with immigration unsympathetic.

• Like 2

Note: has anyone else noticed that September 26th is exactly six months since the beginning of the first amnesty? I guess immigration feels that, for almost everyone not entitled to a long term extension, four to six months is long enough to leave.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Note: has anyone else noticed that September 26th is exactly six months since the beginning of the first amnesty? I guess immigration feels that, for almost everyone not entitled to a long term extension, four to six months is long enough to leave.

and that September 26th is a Saturday! So get in early ...as it is Applications considered on case-by-case basis until Sept 26.

You may not want to leave it too late. 

33 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think you are wrong, but I suspect there will be very many gambling that this is the case. When it gets to September 20th with no announcement of yet another amnesty, there will be gnashing of teeth and complaints about how unfair it is that there is no amnesty when the option of a simple border bounce is unavailable. I foresee a real mess, with immigration unsympathetic.

"Grace period" sounds like this time they will announce it as the last extension, so they are presenting facts, and everybody has two months time to get some extension or leave. With the previous extension they left this open, so understandably many people waited what will happen.

Some people might hope that the borders open, but if by September 1st the borders are still closed to most people, then on 26th they will not suddenly allow tourists to cross, so by September 1st everybody who doesn't get an extension can buy a ticket out of Thailand (unless they open up the borders until then, which i highly doubt). Due to many people leaving Thailand in this time frame, there will also not be such a problem with cancelled flights.

Edited by jackdd

34 minutes ago, BritTim said:

yup six months or 180 days is the exact timeframe where one may be considered (tax) resident in a country

Just now, lemonjelly said:

How’s everyone supposed to get out when there’s hardly any flights leaving because there’s hardly any international flights arriving?

Loads leaving to Europe everyday and often half empty, easy to get a flight sometime in the last 4 months.

29 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Loads leaving to Europe everyday and often half empty, easy to get a flight sometime in the last 4 months.

The computer says “No”.... so many flights are being cancelled, it’s a lottery trying to book a flight which will prolly get.... you guessed it, cancelled and there you are, waiting for your refund that’s floating around somewhere in cyberspace 

https://aot-portal.kdlab.dev/bkk

Edited by lemonjelly
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

How’s everyone supposed to get out when there’s hardly any flights leaving because there’s hardly any international flights arriving?

Depending on where you are going, and how much you are concerned about ticket prices, right now it is pretty easy to get flights. I would not bank on available seats come September though.

Just now, lemonjelly said:

The computer says “No”.... so many flights are being cancelled, it’s a lottery trying to book a flight which will prolly get.... you guessed it, cancelled and there you are, waiting for your refund that’s floating around somewhere in cyberspace 

There are a lot of advertised flights which airlines have no intention of providing. However, flight numbers that left as scheduled in previous days can be expected to leave in following days (based on experience). You just need to be careful which flight you book.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

Depending on where you are going, and how much you are concerned about ticket prices, right now it is pretty easy to get flights. I would not bank on available seats come September though.

It’s easy to book flights, but how many flights is one prepared to book before the winning ticket to the flight that wasn’t cancelled turns up?  

11 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

The computer says I can get a flight to London tomorrow with EVA and that my friend flew out with Quatar this week on a virtually empty plane, nobody from Europe is `stranded`

4 hours ago, Eibot said:

They simply can't keep the borders closed for that long due to financial reason.

I heard that argument for why the borders would open in May, June, July and August. There are economic costs to tight border control, but Thailand has decided it is unwilling to kill tens of thousands of its citizens to protect tourism related businesses. Other countries within the region have made similar decisions. You believe they will have a sudden change of heart. I do not.

Eventually, I do see travel bubbles allowing free movement between Covid-19 free countries based on bilateral agreements. It is just possible these might begin to appear by September, but that is optimistic, and I would not make any plans based on such an assumption.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, clorox said:

hope everything atleast get back to normal by the end of sept and maybe land border opening, but if i were you i have a solid second plan

IMHO "normal" as it pertains to pre-pandemic is not feasible without a vaccine. The fear is if they open to tourists in two months the rabid contagion of this virus could spike a second wave. I talked with the owner of one of the largest visa run services in Bangkok and he speculates the borders for visa runs will not open until early next year. 

21 minutes ago, Geordie59 said:

As I said elsewhere, this if confirmed is bad news for those of who would like to return to our retirement homes in Thailand.

What does the one thing have to do with the other?

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

What does the one thing have to do with the other?

Correct. 

The allowable incoming numbers greatly depends on the capability here for all the necessary prevention measures. 

Even oversea Thai citizens in some countries still waiting.