Diplomat refused accommodation at a condominium is not an Estonian envoy

rooster59

Diplomat refused accommodation at a condominium is not an Estonian envoy

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM8Gvv4ciOLndSWpBeZgkpEk0gQNK.png

The Honorary Consul-General of Estonia in Thailand said today that the diplomat, who was refused entry to a condominium in Bangkok last night, is not an Estonian, but a European Union diplomat.

Mr. Veerachai said in his Facebook post today that EU, as well as Estonian diplomats, must strictly comply with the regulations imposed by the CCSA, related to the COVID-19 pandemic, adding that his office does not have any information about the entry of EU diplomats into Thailand and, therefore, could not interfere with EU affairs, as the diplomat in question is the EU’s responsibility.

The management of the company that runs the Millennium Residence condominium on Sukhumvit Road refused to provide accommodation to the diplomat, who tried to check in after his arrival in Bangkok, for fear of causing alarm among other residents.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/diplomat-refused-accommodation-at-a-condominium-is-not-an-estonian-envoy/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-07-18

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

ThaiPBSnews from 17 july

''Dr. Taweesin said that the CCSA subcommittee, headed by the secretary-general of the National Security Council, has decided that, from now on, all foreign diplomats and their families entering Thailand will be subjected to 14-day quarantine at state facilities, without exemption.''

Today 18 july ''The management of the company that runs the Millennium Residence condominium on Sukhumvit Road refused to provide accommodation to the diplomat, who tried to check in after his arrival in Bangkok, for fear of causing alarm among other residents.''

Some diplomats seem to be still hanging around in the nature in Thailand

i wonder how difficult is it to receive them at the airport and

to drive them in a state quarantine place

Odds are that they are saying one thing ("No exceptions for diplomats!") in the Thai press to appease local hotheads, and something else (along the lines of "Diplomats may quarantine themselves under embassy supervision at locations arranged by the embassy") in private to diplomatic representatives. It wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I thought the  new  rule  was  "no exceptions" even for  Diplomats so why was he  permitted  to  depart the  airport at free will?

Diplomutts are special...

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's not forget that diplomats all over the world and do a lot of things which normal people can't do because they have diplomatic immunity. 

And that is the same for all diplomats all over the world. What would happen if Thailand would start to treat diplomats like common people? We can be pretty sure the diplomats won't like it. And we can be pretty sure that Thai diplomats in other countries would end up with negative reactions.

It's difficult!

I think what is needed are some nice diplomatic arrangements to smooth things out. I am sure treating diplomats like ordinary people just won't work. They wont accept it and because they are diplomats they would get away with it.

Let's be diplomatic with those diplomats. 

Absolutely! We gotta handle the Diplomutts gently - that's another 'flavour' of racism (Diplomutty)... you know what I mean...LOL

6 hours ago, Xonax said:

What the f*** is an estonian EU diplomat doing in Thailand?

There is a EU Delegation in Thailand which employs people from various EU countries but proposed by EU HQ in Brussels (the composition is different in every EU Delegation in the world) and as courtesy the host country grants them a status equal to diplomats in bilateral Embassies (similar protected status is given to the UN and its many Offices and Agencies in the world / in some countries the representatives sent by HQ of the Red Cross or the HQ of the Order of Malta receive diplomatic status, it all depends on approval by the host country)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's not forget that diplomats all over the world and do a lot of things which normal people can't do because they have diplomatic immunity. 

And that is the same for all diplomats all over the world. What would happen if Thailand would start to treat diplomats like common people? We can be pretty sure the diplomats won't like it. And we can be pretty sure that Thai diplomats in other countries would end up with negative reactions.

It's difficult!

I think what is needed are some nice diplomatic arrangements to smooth things out. I am sure treating diplomats like ordinary people just won't work. They wont accept it and because they are diplomats they would get away with it.

That's true, they can rape & kill people and get away with it.

Also evade parking tickets, I think at one time there were about 8,000 parking ticket charges outstanding in London, and that was just from staff at the Nigerian Embassy.

Some years ago I worked for the Egyptian Embassy in Australia and take it from me they are not automatically immune from the law , thousands of dollars worth of parking tickets had to be paid that had been outstanding for years and one envoys wife was charged with shoplifting but the magistrate went easy on her because of the <deleted> excuse they come up with, still she was charged but no conviction no fine.

19 hours ago, wozza said:

Some years ago I worked for the Egyptian Embassy in Australia and take it from me they are not automatically immune from the law , thousands of dollars worth of parking tickets had to be paid that had been outstanding for years and one envoys wife was charged with shoplifting but the magistrate went easy on her because of the <deleted> excuse they come up with, still she was charged but no conviction no fine.

Yes, the immunity doesn't normally extend to the "normal" earthlings working at embassies. Usually only ambassadors and other top tier. Of course anybody with a diplomatic plate will try their luck.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, some don't ensure that their partners know the driving laws when driving a car in a foreign country. So that when their partners drive on the other side of the road and kill a teenager they allow them to flee the country and only then aftewards seek diplomatic immunity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, isnakebite said:

Yes, some don't ensure that their partners know the driving laws when driving a car in a foreign country. So that when their partners drive on the other side of the road and kill a teenager they allow them to flee the country and only then aftewards seek diplomatic immunity.

And they pretend to be diplomats of a first world country...

On 7/18/2020 at 12:54 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

I thought the  new  rule  was  "no exceptions" even for  Diplomats so why was he  permitted  to  depart the  airport at free will?

His condo destination was quarantine accommodation arranged for him by the Embassy as it is permitted to do.  He did not have "free will" to go anywhere.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, Andrew65 said:

That's true, they can rape & kill people and get away with it.

Also evade parking tickets, I think at one time there were about 8,000 parking ticket charges outstanding in London, and that was just from staff at the Nigerian Embassy.

They can get away with the serious crimes you mention if after expulsion their home country lets them get away with it and does not bring them to a local court.  I remember during 1970ies that Sudanese ambassador in Stockholm was driving drunk and killed a child...the local press went of course berserk...but all the Swedish Foreign Ministry could do was to expel the diplomat. However this diplomat was a relative (I think a brother) of then president Nimeiry and I cannot remember there was a trial in Khartoum.

I am not going to waste time here and explain the necessity of diplomatic immunity to protect diplomats in autocratic countries from falling into a trap set by the local secret service.

• Thanks 1