This means amnesty till 26 september?

1 hour ago, acenase said:

Don't be surprised if they extend the Amnesty again in September, too.

Unless they open the borders to allow tourists to re-enter after going to bordering countries.

I just can't see them kicking out all foreigners if they aren't allowed to leave to a Thai Embassy and re-apply for a new Visa to return and be here legally.  That's what the Amnesty is for, because no one can go anywhere and come back.

The amnesty was a result of people finding it difficult to leave. It had nothing to do with Thailand's conditions for allowing people to enter Thailand. There are legitimate economic arguments for encouraging most foreigners currently in Thailand to stay. However, Immigration (that has a lot of influence on immigration policy) does not seem to be placing much emphasis on helping the wider economy. I will be surprised if there is a further general grace period past September. You will need a better justification for a further non standard extension than "if I leave, it will be difficult for me to come back".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acenase said:

I just can't see them kicking out all foreigners if they aren't allowed to leave to a Thai Embassy and re-apply for a new Visa to return and be here legally.  That's what the Amnesty is for, because no one can go anywhere and come back

I think it best to wait until next week to see if all circumstances are considered. But generally I am not in full agreement. Many who might well be 'trapped' here who originally came in on tourist permissions, say tourist visas and exempts, cannot be allowed to remain here indefinately on that basis. They aren't effectively being kicked out, but have been here as tourists far too long. For them to get an extension, they will have to prove they cannot return to their passport country... not sure how they can do that as there are flights and all countries are allowing their own nationals back in. The other option, immigration (via agents) might be 'offering' alternative extensions or some type on Non-Imm-O stamp at a price.

You seem to be considering those who need to get to a Thai Embassy and get new Visas, tourist or Non-Imm-O I expect. That was already tightening up severely pre-Covid and domestic sentiment has deteriorated.

Edited by jacko45k

On 7/18/2020 at 8:29 PM, Jackcwba said:

Surely if you get until the 26th September to get a new visa then most people in the right mind would look to maximise the ‘free days’ they have been given... because as mentioned above somewhere, your visa starts form the day you apply... 

meaning 25th 26th will be busy as hell... might be silly for some people to leave it until last minute you might say but enough people do it.. dare I say 90% of people

Highly likely indeed though the same can be said of the present amnesty. If this new regulation is not enacted there will be a ****ton of people looking to fly out on or before the 31st. Demand will swamp supply. Would be interesting to know how many people are actually stranded here but that's another thread. 

A friend of mine in Kanchanaburi area has been to three immigration departments re extending his Non O multi entri for 60 days to be with his wife . All say that as his visa expired on 1 July he cannot . He last entered on the 28 May - well within the criteria seemingly allowing extension

10 minutes ago, Iem said:

A friend of mine in Kanchanaburi area has been to three immigration departments re extending his Non O multi entri for 60 days to be with his wife . All say that as his visa expired on 1 July he cannot . He last entered on the 28 May - well within the criteria seemingly allowing extension

Not sure what is meant by departments. There is only one immigration office he can apply and that is the one in Kanchanaburi. 

The May 28th date has to be wrong since at that time the borders were already closed.

His visas expiration date means nothing after enter the country. I am sure that immigration did not deny it for that.

I think more info is needed. Had he applied for a 60 day extension since his last entry to the country before? Was his wife with him?

• Like 2

Immigration was hoping to avoid huge queues in the week leading to 31st July now they effectively have just delayed those queues until the week before the 26th of September. I have been doing my 90 day reporting regardless of the amnesty so I don't get caught up in the queues. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 4:32 PM, problemfarang said:

If i understood correctly its saying this time we need to apply for some kind of visa extension after july 31? Or again free visa till sep 26?

You need to have a current/valid visa or extension sorted before Sept 26th. After that you will be illegal.

Hi all.

As long as I can stay legally until 6th August I'm good.

All being well I'll be on a plane going home.

I don't expect to be ever coming back. I was really offended by the Health Minister.

Nothing much has changed in attitudes since WWII it seems for these people in power.

On 7/18/2020 at 4:41 PM, problemfarang said:

Ohh ok didnt see that sorry.

So we got it. Till september 26. Great

There is a difference. This time you have to leave before September 26 unless you have an option to stay. Every decision at immigration is on a case by case basis. 

• Like 1

Joe . I have a friend over Kanchanaburi way who has been to three different immigration offices and been told he cannot extend his non O multi entry as his visa expired on 1 July . They say he can only extend on a current visa . I understood that visas had been extended to 31 July  . His non O expired on 1 July and last entry expired 28th May.

Edited by Iem
Wrong wording re last entry

22 minutes ago, Iem said:

Joe . I have a friend over Kanchanaburi way who has been to three different immigration offices and been told he cannot extend his non O multi entry as his visa expired on 1 July . They say he can only extend on a current visa . I understood that visas had been extended to 31 July  . His non O expired on 1 July and last entry expired 28th May.

That is little different than what you posed earlier that I replied to.

1 hour ago, Iem said:

If he is living in Kanchanaburi that is the only office he can apply at.

Visas are not extended. Only permits to stay are extended.

His visas expiration date means nothing after he is in the country. That is only the last day that the visa can be used for entry.

I suspect there is misunderstanding as to what immigration said.

There a few offices that think that the "automatic extension" is not a valid permit to stay so they refuse to extend them or they consider them a extension and say that only one extension can be applied for. Both are wrong IMO.

He should wait a few days before trying again since it appears the ministerial notice that the "amnesty" is under will be extended again until September 26th. That will allow him to stay until then.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 8:29 PM, Jackcwba said:

Surely if you get until the 26th September to get a new visa then most people in the right mind would look to maximise the ‘free days’ they have been given... because as mentioned above somewhere, your visa starts form the day you apply... 

meaning 25th 26th will be busy as hell... might be silly for some people to leave it until last minute you might say but enough people do it.. dare I say 90% of people

No problem just do what you Normally do. 

Just done my 90 day a couple weeks ago. Going to do my Extension late august ,It Expires in mid September

3 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

If I apply for NON-O 1 year extension on the last week of the permit to stay based on 400k in the bank, and it takes 2-4 weeks to get it approved, what happens then?

No worries,

Your permission to stay starts from the day they accept your application.

• Thanks 1

Is it possible to open a bank account to meet the requirements for the 1 year extension while on amnesty ? I still have my non-o extension and our government has just said they will issue letters so i should still have options for now.

2 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

Is it possible to open a bank account to meet the requirements for the 1 year extension while on amnesty ? I still have my non-o extension and our government has just said they will issue letters so i should still have options for now.

Sounds like your referring to AU. 

Was imo foolish announcement. Thai government are yet to announce anything. 

Even if it does turn out that they will look at granting "emergency extension" nobody knows what be required apart for embassy letter. Perhaps book flights that were cancelled etc. 

@ubonjoe do you think i can still be eligible for 90-day permit to visit spouse?

Before visa amnesty/lockdown took place, i posted a question if my 60-day tourist visa can be extended for 90-day. You replied me that i can apply for EITHER 30-day visa extension OR 90-day permit to visit spouse. I applied for 30-day tourist visa extension on early April 2020 then i think about a week later,the first visa amnesty took place (before it was again extended until July 31). 

Overal, my current visa was already expired, hence my question, do you think i can still be eligible to apply for 90-day spouse visitation permit?

I honestly do not think i can re-re-extend my expired tourist visa and getting only 30 days for 1900 baht instead of 90 days for the same fee, i'd rather take the 90 days. I have all the necessary documents to apply for spouse visitation permit, pressumably nothing is changed at the immigration office.

26 minutes ago, arfandy said:

@ubonjoe do you think i can still be eligible for 90-day permit to visit spouse?

Before visa amnesty/lockdown took place, i posted a question if my 60-day tourist visa can be extended for 90-day. You replied me that i can apply for EITHER 30-day visa extension OR 90-day permit to visit spouse. I applied for 30-day tourist visa extension on early April 2020 then i think about a week later,the first visa amnesty took place (before it was again extended until July 31). 

Overal, my current visa was already expired, hence my question, do you think i can still be eligible to apply for 90-day spouse visitation permit?

I honestly do not think i can re-re-extend my expired tourist visa and getting only 30 days for 1900 baht instead of 90 days for the same fee, i'd rather take the 90 days. I have all the necessary documents to apply for spouse visitation permit, pressumably nothing is changed at the immigration office.

You already applied for an extension. That's why you cannot apply again.

26 minutes ago, arfandy said:

You replied me that i can apply for EITHER 30-day visa extension OR 90-day permit to visit spouse.

I am sure I wrote you could get a 60 day extension to visit your Thai wife.

That should still be possible.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure I wrote you could get a 60 day extension to visit your Thai wife.

That should still be possible.

Could it be confusion ( sorted hopefully tomorrow ) over the last out in entry 90 days?

If your multi O use by/enter by date has already passed, eg july 1st and your 90 day entry ends on that date no-one at Imm' is sure what applies

( until tomorrow ) although, normally you can get can get 60 days even if your out/in for another 90 days was one day before that useby/enter by date and the 60 days is no problem.

Maybe some are just saying no instead of not sure, we will know on Tuesday.

4 hours ago, Mamasun said:

Hum.....does it mean I don't need to extend my retirement visa (since 15 years ) until september ??? I don't think so !!! ???? 

You just carry on doing 90 day reports, mail, email or in person and renew on the due date as normal.

All this amnesty etc hasn't changed anything for you except to excuse you 90 day reports in person.

Relax and be happy. ????

• Haha 1