Youth launch protest against 'deep-rooted Thai dictatorship'

rooster59

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Free Youth group earlier posted on its Facebook homepage demanding that the Prayut Chan-o-cha government dissolve Parliament, as it has failed in its economic management, especially amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

blaming the governement, and not covid, for a temporarely slow economy, started just weeks after the crisis started, by red shirts. It was funny to hear the same regurgitated sentence coming from different ppl.

anyway, today these students, many come from Isan and are red shirt sympatizers, are protesting. The last time the red shirts were allowed to protest a decade ago, it was for many many weeks and ended in burning down Central in Bangkok.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Greenhill said:

ThaiVisa/The Nation taking the Govt. line re the 'hundreds' of students!     Reuters say 2,500!!!!   The official line being to try and down-play any sign of opposition.

The Nation (and BP) are known for their conservatism and not being particularly critical of this government. Prachatai, Thisrupt, Khaosod, ThaiEnquirer etc usually take a different approach. I rather liked this brief Thisrupt report on the protests: https://thisrupt.co/videos/prayut-get-out-demands-protestors-gathered-at-bangkoks-democracy-monument/

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

The problem with such protests is that they are mostly unfocussed. If I was them I'd go for the abolition on one specific law, and move on from there. 

They're focusing quite heavily on the lese majeste law. 

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The page also called on Parliament to scrap the law deemed as violating freedom of expression and gathering under the Constitution.

the law deemed as violating freedom of expression, oh yeah, could the crime of lèse-majesté be the one?

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Youth launch protest against 'deep-rooted Thai dictatorship'

Should read:
Youth scheduled for reeducation training...

Edited by connda

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

no other prime minister ever got near the corruption level of taksin, not in amounts and not in methods. 

Thaksin’s not here now.

If Prayut wants to show us he’s not corrupt, he should declare his assets. If you got nothing to hide, you got nothing to fear, right? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Is Corvid currently rife in Thailand or has the virus been eliminated ?

Good question!

Now...why don't you think for yourself a little bit?

I help you: less than 200.000 tests nationswide, no test on disceased people, big areas with no available tests in local village hospitals, people with no or little money, the risk of being tested negative and having to pay for the test...

Hmmmm...it's difficult....hardly able to figure it out...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

Good question!

I help you: less than 200.000 tests nationswide, no test on disceased people, big areas with no available tests in local village hospitals, people with no or little money, the risk of being tested negative and having to pay for the test...

He will need more help than that.  

29 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

Good question!

I do think that many people would have noticed had they contracted the deadly virus and would have been hospitalized  .

Some off topic posts and replies have been removed.

A post with a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Whether Thaksin or any PM aspirant is corrupt, or more relevantly corrupt enough to not be elected, is for Thai voters to decide. Let democracy run its course.

Thailand has high literacy and pervasive media. Everyone from rice farmers to tycoons is aware of what's going on and what's in their self-interest. Thaksin? Every low to middle income Thai I talked to during his time said, yes, he's a corrupt s.o.b. but he's done a lot for poor people and the rural areas (see health care, loans, etc.). Which is why he kept winning in landslide after landslide in free and fair elections.

So the argument that democracy will return leaders like Thaksin is false. If Thaksin or anyone else for that matter got out of hand with nefarious activities then they would be voted out. That's the beauty of democracy. It's self-correcting. Dictatorship on the other hand is self-perpetuating.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sead said:

You can't be serious. Pm is controlling the politicians, the economy and has absolute power. When on earth did Thaksin even get close to that.... 

2001-2006. Tripled his personal fortune while in office.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Thailand said:

Good on ya young uns, just be wary as the ptb have the big guns and they have been known to use them.

Speaking of big guns.. I don't remember the year, ( 60's - 70's but the Police and the Military once took care of these demonstrating youth, killed hundred of people.  Be careful what you wish for kids.  

5 hours ago, Airbagwill said:
13 hours ago, Hayduke said:

but the odds are still stacked steeply against them.

Why do people say things like that?

Because it is not a real Democratic country and because there are other underlying causes they support and guard. You ever try to take a bone away from an angry dog?