Short changing scam

Gabe H Coud

It used to be a regular happening to me at a local hardware shop,

buy something ,pay with a 1000 Baht note,and she would try to 

give me change for 500 Baht...after 3 attempts, i would hold the

1000 baht above my head and wave it about,both laughing.if it

only worked a couple of times a day,she was earning money,if

you look at people receiving change not many check it.

Expect it's happening more now as people will be desperate,

P.S. she sold the shop and land for 25 Million Baht,with the

money she must have made off her scam,she did alright.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

I recently had it happen at Tops. Years ago a Tesco Lotus out in nakhon nowhere.  

Usually paying with a 500 or 1000 bill. They make change, but miss a hundred and hope you will too. If you catch them, it's sorry just a mistake, uh huh. 

I mention the T Lotus because they must have had problems with it. Next month or two the managers were supervising the cashiers, so uh huh, an ongoing problem and with the locals as not many farang in those parts.

Edited by LomSak27

15 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why would you panic when asked for a booking number?

Because as instated I was in a rush to get on the tee ahead of 2 4 balls and she knew it. She deliberately tried to throw me by asking for some number that has ne ere been asked for before. She was just hoping I would just grab the(incorrect) change and run! 

Happened to me at my local immigration office several years ago when they "omitted" to give me a 100 THB note as change for the 2 x 1,000 THB notes I'd handed over for payment of my annual extension application, until reminded of this "omission" by my wife. Ever since then I've always made a point of including a 500 THB note + 4 x 100 THB notes (as well as at least 1,000 THB note, of course) in my wallet at annual extension of stay time so as to make the 1,900 THB payment in exact cash. 

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

My local 7 11 attendant gives me the wrong change by 20 or 30 baht often. I don't know if it is deliberate or if she is dumb. She is very pretty though so I never say anything. 

The perfect example of 'value for money' .....  You should tell her ... with a big smile on your face that it has been a pleasure to have been paying an extra 20THB just for the pleasure of being served by a pretty girl like you. ????

• Like 1

Wow! I was going to open the same exact topic some days ago then I thought "let's not open another against Thailand".

But yes, it is happening to me as well. last time, handed a 1000 bill and got change like I gave her 100. The thing that strikes me is that they are not even sorry one bit when you catch them. Instead, they look quite annoyed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rvaviator said:

The perfect example of 'value for money' .....  You should tell her ... with a big smile on your face that it has been a pleasure to have been paying an extra 20THB just for the pleasure of being served by a pretty girl like you. ????

I want to ask her about her mother. I'm sure her mother worked at the local massage shop (now closed) and was very accommodating. She told me her son worked at the 7/11 so I wonder if her  daughter followed in his footsteps. I used to give the Mum big tips at start of term time to help her pay for the kid's books. Maybe I'm still paying. 

4 hours ago, Gabe H Coud said:

3. please be aware that this is on the rise

As a generalisation, that is not correct, it may have happened to you but that doesn't mean that it's "on the rise".

"4. I understand the economic pressures, but doesn't make it acceptable!

anyone else seen this recently?"

No.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

It is not the amount of baht that is troubling...it is the culture of corrupt business practices that is unacceptable. 

Not to mention the looks that could kill when you call them out...

Similar to paying,tipping wait staff in US,that’s a strange culture!

7 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

I recently had it happen at Tops. Years ago a Tesco Lotus out in nakhon nowhere.  

Usually paying with a 500 or 1000 bill. They make change, but miss a hundred and hope you will too. If you catch them, it's sorry just a mistake, uh huh. 

I mention the T Lotus because they must have had problems with it. Next month or two the managers were supervising the cashiers, so uh huh, an ongoing problem and with the locals as not many farang in those parts.

A buddy had the 500/1,000 problem twice at  a specific hypermarket in CM.

Two different cashiers insisted he had given 500, he insisted he gave 1,000. Cashier supervisor came and both times said 'my cashiers are very careful, we don't make mistakes like this' and walked away.

Next time when the cashier said the price he pulled out a 1,000 note, put it on the edge of the till and took a smartphone photo, all watched by the cashier and a couple of nearby customers, then held the phone with photo in a position where the cashier had to see it. No short change. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

Similar to paying,tipping wait staff in US,that’s a strange culture!

You have an option...not obligation...to tip in the US based on the service you receive.  In Thailand, who the hey tips a cashier at a 7/11?  Oh, yes, of course...you do!  ????

7 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Or you could use the catch phrase from an old anecdote about paying a lady for her “ services “.

” I looked her in the eyes and said, its been a business doing pleasure with you !! “

Frank Skinner.

• Like 1

Happens a lot but also happens the other way round.

I purchased 52 packs of milk and the cashier twice counted the milk and stated 50. She spoke good English looked like a student I did tell her I thought it was 52. Anyway I see the packing format is 16 to a bag so confirm all same and there's 4 cartons left so they believed me in the end.

Happens all the time the short change crew but it happens to thais much much more in my opinion.