KEYBOARD MALFUNCTION

Maybole

My ancient Acer Aspire 5349 Laptop has served me well so far. Yesterday keys 4,5,i and o stopped working. Google recommends closing all power, removing battery and holding the on/off button for 30secs. and restarting.  This has not worked. Because many websites e.g, Outlook and my passwords contain the very letters/numbers not working, I cannot access drivers etc.

Is there anything I can try before taking to a shop?

I suppose if you know of someone who has a portable one where you can plug in the usb in to the socket and then try that, alternatively buy a cheap one from Tesco and plug the usb in and see if that works ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Is there anything I can try before taking to a shop?

I suppose if you know of someone who has a portable keyboard, one where you can plug in the usb into the socket and then try that, alternatively buy a cheap one from Tesco and plug the usb in and see if that works ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

The bad news is that it almost certainly a hardware fault with the keyboard.

The good news is that the parts are cheap and replacement on that model is easy. You can do it yourself.

https://shopee.co.th/acer-5536-5536-g-5738-5738-g-5732-dg-5738zg-5349-คีย์บอร์ด-i.133509184.7539503481

That link is for shipping from China so would take 7-10 days but you can likely find it locally too though will have Thai/Eng keys.

I have an old HP Elitebook laptop and same issue, with not working keys, happened about a year of so back. Initially tried to get a replacement keyboard via a shop in Tukcom (Pattaya) and also online. But no joy.

Bought a cheap usb plugged in keyboard for about 200b.  Bit clunky, but works just fine. Suitable for what I need - mainly browsing and personal stuff. Have a newer laptop for work. 

i always use an external keyboard, mouse, and screen cause its better and more ergonomic,

the keyboards do give up after some 3 years, and then i order another at lazada.

i advice against bluetooth, they lag, just buy a mini keyboard with usb and your life will be easy

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/oker-keyboard-f6-mini-usb-i1144392642-s2662998765.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.5594771bz0tPz3&search=1

Edited by scammed

... been there, for a quick fix - especially where your passwords are concerned - and assuming we're talking about WINDOWS OS here:

press 'WINDOWS + Ctrl + O'  ...  should open the on-screen keyboard you can work with the mouse pointer ... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

press 'WINDOWS + Ctrl + O'  

that is in theory a good idea. Except...

4 hours ago, Maybole said:

Yesterday keys 4,5,i and o stopped working

Luckily there are a couple of more options how to open that - see post above this one.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... been there, for a quick fix - especially where your passwords are concerned - and assuming we're talking about WINDOWS OS here:

press 'WINDOWS + Ctrl + O'  ...  should open the on-screen keyboard you can work with the mouse pointer ... 

Unfortunately the letter O is one that will not work

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Just type over the following text.

But it only works if your mother tongue is dutch... ????

Otto sloft hoopvol door Hoofddorp-Noordoost. Otto boft. Ook Joop, Otto's droomhomo, tot voor kort rooms LOM-schoolhoofd, loopt krols rond. Otto lonkt. Joop stopt. Otto bloost. 'Joop'.
'Ottotjóó!' Vlot stroopt Joop Otto's polo op, sloopt Otto's shorts, ontbloot tot slot Otto's kont rondom. Joops knots, omgord door condoom, zwol prompt tot rotskolom. 'O, 't wordt topsport,' knort Otto. Lomp ploft Joop op Otto. Dof bonkt torso op torso. Romp botst op romp. 'Sodom!' grompt Joop. 'Gomorr oh God!' Joop stoot fors door, tot op Otto's bot. Rot voor Otto, doch Joop pompt monotoon voort. Otto's voshol bolt fors op, wordt prompt hoogrood. Joops lombrosovoorhoofd ook. Plots stokt Joop. Otto schrok op. Joop oogt boos. 'Kop op, Joop,' troost Otto, sjort Joops condoom los, doch schroomt. Joops potlood toont snot, of oh, voorop pronkt groot brok goor korstmos. Kortom, Joops ooft stonk fors. Otto kotst. Loost stokbrood, doos Chocotof-bonbons, popcorn, soort port, hotdogs, potgrond, compost, poon, schol, bot, voorn, tong, sprot, rog, rolmops, tot slot ook nog groot bord stoofpot. 'Flots', zo op Joops schoot.  Joop vloog op, schold Otto vol:  'Hond, klootmongool,  losbol!' Woordloos, schroomvol, zonk Otto voor Joop. Vlot vond Joops spoorboom Otto's mond, zocht Otto's tong, drong door tot Otto's strot. Otto zoog, kloof hoorndol op Joops knoflookworst. O, hoor! Joop komt! Golf volgt op golf volgt op golf volgt op golf. Ofschoon Otto's mond volloopt stort Joop volop door. Roomsop kolkt door Otto's strot, droop rond Otto's mond, stroomt door tot op Otto's borst. O god, zo smoort Otto nog. Otto's hoofd tolt rond. Long op long wordt door roomsop doorstroomd. 'Stop toch Joop,' klonk nog kort Otto's slotwoord, toonloos. Plots rolt Otto om, morsdood. Joop schopt tot slot Otto's korps om. 'Oog om oog, of zo!' gromt Joop nors.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

that is in theory a good idea. Except...

Luckily there are a couple of more options how to open that - see post above this one.

14 minutes ago, Maybole said:

... bummer that, sorry boyz, might be slightly impaired by some fine last gen. Master Kush, not sure, trials ongoing ...

1202839817_attentionspanofagoldfishonweed.jpg.8ba3b14cf393b3910d607e96755bfed3.jpg

... however, if you follow the 'Settings > Ease Of Access ...' route in OneMore's link you'll get a version that also produces an icon down in the taskbar once opened up ... here you can pin it to your taskbar for future use (right klick on that icon, but you might have to minimise the on-screen keyboard first, 'cause in my case it obscures the pop-up menu ...) 

On 7/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, dabhand said:

I have an old HP Elitebook laptop and same issue, with not working keys, happened about a year of so back. Initially tried to get a replacement keyboard via a shop in Tukcom (Pattaya) and also online. But no joy.

Bought a cheap usb plugged in keyboard for about 200b.  Bit clunky, but works just fine. Suitable for what I need - mainly browsing and personal stuff. Have a newer laptop for work. 

Great solution. The OP could use a keyboard from a friend- any USB keyboard to make the troubleshooting. There are various keyboard setups for different languages and that could also be the case.

If a keyboard says goodbye, it's usually a whole row that goes with it. 

On 7/19/2020 at 2:22 PM, scammed said:

i always use an external keyboard, mouse, and screen cause its better and more ergonomic,

the keyboards do give up after some 3 years, and then i order another at lazada.

Not the mechanical keyboards. Easily maintained, will outlast several computers, and a pleasure to type on. "A keyboard should be tough enough to beat a man to death with and then write his epitaph on afterwards."

Do it right: get backlighting too. Steelseries has a good rep:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hyperx-alloy-fps-pro-mechanical-gaming-keyboardmx-blue-na-key-hx-kb4bl1-usww-thai-keycap-i257904805-s397560409.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.673b299dSqVMjV&search=1

Check w/ the vendor to be sure you're getting English keycaps.

49 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Not the mechanical keyboards. Easily maintained, will outlast several computers, and a pleasure to type on. "A keyboard should be tough enough to beat a man to death with and then write his epitaph on afterwards."

Do it right: get backlighting too. Steelseries has a good rep:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hyperx-alloy-fps-pro-mechanical-gaming-keyboardmx-blue-na-key-hx-kb4bl1-usww-thai-keycap-i257904805-s397560409.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.673b299dSqVMjV&search=1

Check w/ the vendor to be sure you're getting English keycaps.

2600 Baht for a keyboard??? I bought keyboards for a fraction of the price and never had a problem. 

41 minutes ago, Oldie said:

2600 Baht for a keyboard??? I bought keyboards for a fraction of the price and never had a problem. 

Yes, but did you try 'to beat a man to death with it and then write his epitaph on it afterwards."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1