Thai central bank says could be several years before tourist numbers normalise

webfact

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

How does a Thai get the rebate?   I saw mention of a web site to register but the wife says she cannot find it. 

Google 40% thai rebate and it will say that the list of hotels that offer this can be found at the coconuts website click on the link to go there and you will find another link to go to the place you are looking for

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Sorry Charlie. It is going to be a lot longer than that with the rules this country has in place to get in here. Ain't nobody gonna do that, and besides, the CV19 has taken a devastational toll on peoples pocket books and they just cannot afford to get up and travel now or in the near 1-2-3 year future.. 

You may be right, however there are many that travel, not rich but that have enough to do a trip every now and again, the most effected by your comments will be the young, they are hardest hit by unemployment.

Then the old have had the majority of the world wide c19 deaths. 

It is hard to grasp but many countries are letting c19 run riot and don't seem to be worried.

The death toll is going down and from what I observe most cases returning to NZ, only need quarantine to recover.

This makes me think that the big boys know more than they are letting on, after all who is going to let every airliner in world the become a beer can.

I will go out on a limb and take a guess that within 6 months planes will be up and flying and this will be a past pandemic like bird flue.

Tourism will take a big hit like you say, but local tourism is thriving in NZ with ski resorts having 2.5 times as many visitors as b4 borders were locked, and they are fleecing like crazy.

I think the chinese will poor back into LOS before others, that's, what they want.

The china sea an example of what is going on , China has run out of industrial space, Thailand is the next best option and the government is dancing to the piper, how else can you explain how god is hated by the people but still thrives on selfies.

There may be a change in the wind, but this probably will be a reshuffle.

People will travel again soon, but with spy apps attached to their phones, economic enslavement is now worse than the 1%.

No doubt a different world is upon us, we have survived the madness of a financed pupett (Hitler) and others b4, we can do it again, manipulation of the world will break when KFC and the arms companies have no customers as they are all covid sick.

I think this will start to end sooner than most predict as otherwise the whole world will become armageddon.

Cheers

Kiwi Keith

1 hour ago, smudger1951 said:

Once again, the natural instinct is to introduce specific pricing incentives for thais. 

I can understand that the Thai taxpayer is paying for this 40% rebate in an indirect way for Thai's only, but the Thai's too quickly forget how much farangs contribute to their economy, so I would think hotels should be enticing us farangs who live here to also support them through some kind of discounts, however I personally haven't seen any yet, has anyone else ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

How does a Thai get the rebate?   I saw mention of a web site to register but the wife says she cannot find it. 

I just asked the Mrs and she said she cannot translate it, but I copied and pasted this "Rao Tiew Duay Gan"

It might make sense to your wife, I also think you might go through a Krungsri bank app , but not sure ?

2 hours ago, barryofthailand said:

First of all the 40 million was a inflated number I'll tell you why.  Say a tourist flies from the UK to Bangkok he is counted as one tourist. Then he checks into a hotel in Pattaya he is counted as one tourist. Then he flies to Vietnam for a week then flies to Phuket he is counted as another tourist. Then he flies to Singapore for a week and then flies to Bangkok HR again is counted as one more tourists do this one person I'd counted as 3 or 4 tourists do thats how Tat gets the fourth million 

Not sure what your point is. That's how every country counts tourists. The more important number is the increase year over year.

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

You may be right, however there are many that travel, not rich but that have enough to do a trip every now and again, the most effected by your comments will be the young, they are hardest hit by unemployment.

Then the old have had the majority of the world wide c19 deaths. 

It is hard to grasp but many countries are letting c19 run riot and don't seem to be worried.

The death toll is going down and from what I observe most cases returning to NZ, only need quarantine to recover.

This makes me think that the big boys know more than they are letting on, after all who is going to let every airliner in world the become a beer can.

I will go out on a limb and take a guess that within 6 months planes will be up and flying and this will be a past pandemic like bird flue.

Tourism will take a big hit like you say, but local tourism is thriving in NZ with ski resorts having 2.5 times as many visitors as b4 borders were locked, and they are fleecing like crazy.

I think the chinese will poor back into LOS before others, that's, what they want.

The china sea an example of what is going on , China has run out of industrial space, Thailand is the next best option and the government is dancing to the piper, how else can you explain how god is hated by the people but still thrives on selfies.

There may be a change in the wind, but this probably will be a reshuffle.

People will travel again soon, but with spy apps attached to their phones, economic enslavement is now worse than the 1%.

No doubt a different world is upon us, we have survived the madness of a financed pupett (Hitler) and others b4, we can do it again, manipulation of the world will break when KFC and the arms companies have no customers as they are all covid sick.

I think this will start to end sooner than most predict as otherwise the whole world will become armageddon.

Cheers

Kiwi Keith

What are you on, mate? I want some too. 

• Like 1

Good to see the Thai economy gliding along like a house brick. As far as turism is concerned, Vietnam and Cambodia must be laughing loudly. Thailand is going to suffer what it inevitable deserved regarding farang tourists for the future. Why would anybody want to visit when the options are now so much better?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cmrichsw said:

Stop chasing away digital nomads, let them pay a small tax & offer them a special visa.

They basically offer this in the form of the Thailand Elite visa program.

It's 500k up front for 5 years, that's around 3k USD @ year.

Is that a small enough tax for you? You can't scrape together 3k @ year

and yet you are going to be contributing to the Thai economy in some noticeable way?

I do have sympathy for people that are independent and not anchored to their home

country and wish to reside here, but look at what they're asking, is it too much?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

The so-called state quarantine is not stupid. 

It has prevented a resurgence of the virus inside Thailand, with dozens of quarantined Thais being tested positive and treated accordingly. 

If Thai people accept the quarantine, for their own good and the good of their country, foreigners would be wise to do the same. 

Just a handful of visitors have escaped quarantine, notably the Egyptian soldiers and the Sudanese girl, and this has already caused a disaster. 

No need for more... 

What disaster? One additional case in Thailand....

Or are you speaking of mass hysteria?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Who needs farang tourists, apparently 3.6 million Thai's have booked hotels since the government provided a 40% rebate for Thai's to holiday domestically and because the "hotels" are doing so good, some hotels have upped their prices by as much as 85% for the long weekend, no doubt they will be empty and crying poor after the long weekend.

Yep,as all figures (stats) quoted for anything are believable.lol

Edited by FNQ
Addition

I think it's pretty obvious tourism isn't going to recover anytime soon with the total panic that ensued from a single case in Rayong.  This is the path Thailand has chosen, for better or for worse.

I'm more interested in how the loss of investor confidence (economy & government both) might affect the baht.  My wife keeps reading in her Thai FB groups about a 'Tom Yum Goong 2.0' scenario, where the THB drops to a 1 to 50 ratio again.  I don't think it will get THAT bad, but I've been saving some money to move over to THB in the event it does get closer to 40 again.

• Like 2

I noticed when I lived in Surin 4 years ago the tourists were dwindling then when I moved to Hua Hin year by year the tourist were still not coming in the numbers they say, for now with the bhat so strong I think Thailand has missed the boat, 5 years + to recover if they can 

• Like 2