Racism

singking

Just now, jasperno said:

The dual pricing struck me as absolutely reeking of racism (or at least xenophobia / corruption). Whatever it is, it left a bad taste i struggled to get past.

Very fair point.

anyone who has lived here for any significant length of time as well as multiple other countries can list the issues with thailand and thai people; the thais can't list one legitimate, solid reason for their xenophobia and racism against us; thus , over time , we respect them not at all

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Well deserved, look at the mess they have gotten us into, add to that how

they treat their citizens.

regards worgeordie

Ah yes nothing like blatant exceptionalism to verify accuracy 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Anyone that was in Thailand in the 1980's can tell you it has all been downhill.

No, that is in many ways incorrect.

Obviously Thailand changed a lot over the last 40 years. And obviously everything is more expensive than a long time ago. But that is the case in probably every country in this world.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

An American friend of mine put it very well and very succinctly. In his view, most of the problems you read about on TVF are because  you read the posts on TVF.  Don't read any posts here and you will be a happier person.  He's probably spot on.  TVF is great for the passing on of useful information for an expat living here, on law, changes to immigration, health issues, travel etc etc, but as a forum for the intelligent and knowledgeable debate of various general views, haha, no chance of a reasoned debate on anything.   Out come the trolls, the stupid, the uneducated, the bigoted. the thickos, If that is all you read of expats in Thailand and the life they lead, you will get a very distorted view of them and life here.   TVF is not the whole Thailand expat community, far from it. It's a fringe and like all fringes, it contains a lot of extremes. 

You are a little bit harsh on this one

i find the TV forum discussions on differents topics rather interesting

the interactions between the members are usualy courteous and

informatives, of course still few rares exceptions as everywhere else

• Like 1

From my experiences it is not so easy to  define racism when describing it as the   "reactivity" of a  minority. Follows as is my opinion.

There are  variables  of  the negativity expressed..

Some of it is  based on the recognition that "integration" is generally an impossibility  by a caucasion or  identifiably non Thai simply due to that appearance in the  overall society. In an alternative situation is it deniable that in a predominantly  caucasion society that the  simplistic observation of a non  caucasion invokes an automatic recognition/identification of (presumed)  racial origin? is  that  racism? In one sense it could be so  but only because of "learned" adopted preconceptions based  more on  cultural differences  than actual  race and sadly  a learned negative  rejection of it. A curious incapacity for those many who choose to reside  in Thailand yet probably never considers what a Thai experiences in the wider  community in their opposite  cultural society.

That leads on to those who have  come and  gone  having been disillusioned by their experiences most often due to the naivety of assumed superiority which  either  quickly or  eventually  burnt them to the  bone yet they feel the need  to  use  this  forum to  vent their accusative, abusive denials  of personal  failure from afar.

Some continue to  reside  in Thailand  and express same  bitterness because  they have  burnt their bridges and can not to go anywhere else.

Saddest is those who feature as amongst the  above but perpetuate the self perception of  superiority in near all aspects of all things Thai.

I can only guess  that the  majority of those  that peruse the content of this forum but resist comment have either a more balanced perspective  of Thailand  and the people of it or have enough  self control to  resist the temptation  to  categorize themselves  by way of inflicting opinion.

• Like 2

Americans/Australians/Germans/Chinese/Japanese/Italians... think they are the best people in the world and all others are idiots. Nothing new. And with the internet many bored people have the possibility to shout their views on others in the world. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2