Pattaya Indian restaurant indian food why so expensive ?why so small portions ?

scoupeo

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

An owner that I was friendly with told me the Indian spices here cost double as in Bangkok. I was also told there was a monopoly on mutton meat which is what they call the mildly tasting goat here. 

This is BS, they import anything they want without paying any tax, most ingredients are sold the same price in Thailand anyway.

And I only eat chicken, my question is also only about chicken. Thank you, you helped a lot ❤️

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Ignorant and offensive  post. The OP is unhappy with the portion size and the cost of service, and uses that as the basis to categorize Indian restaurants as "dishonest".  This is the type of logic that identifies an ignorant and bigoted  person. Oh my what a calamity that a dish costs 300 baht. Hardly expensive.

Here's a news flash Mr. Cheap Charlie;

- Restaurants are usually tenants and they pay rent. The better the location, the higher the rent.

- Labour is a cost as is a decent cook/chef. Appreciably some farangs are of the opinion that Thais and Indians should jump at the chance to serve and cater to the needs of miserable, condescending farangs. The workers don't work for free. 

-What some consider a small portion is in fact the appropriate size portion. 

- There are costs to running a restaurant such as the linens, equipment and other supplies.  Laundry services are not cheap, nor are restaurant supplies.It's wonderful that someone is able to find cheap chicken at makro for 60 baht. They can do the cleaning, preparation  and cooking of the  meal too and charge themselves the  30 baht they believe their time is worth.

Why it is expected that Thai/Indian meals should be so much lower than comparable meals in people's homeland's is beyond reason. The costs for businesses are not spectacularly lower in Thailand, particularly if one expects quality. Those who complain live in the land of delusion.

Ignorant and offensive AND ARROGANT if it pleases you !

Thank you for your victim reply, it seems that you have learnt to obey and follow even when you are scammed, but not me sorry. Does your wife enjoy the house that you bought for her ? Sorry, I prefer to buy expensive cars for myself !

Anyway, if you cannot understand that adding 10 thb (at market price) of chicken in a dish to give a nice portion would be very easy and cheap for any restaurant, you cannot be so smart, so i'll pass on your ridiculous reply.

8 hours ago, pookondee said:

Learn to cook is one thing, but after you buy all the ingredients, you might find it very hard to make an Indian dish under the price they are charging..

simply because you gotta go out and buy all the packaged portions of all the stuff needed.

just take the price of a few things:

Ghee

Cream (real not fake)

Spices, cumin,

green cardomom in pods (which ive never even seen in Thailand)

Just these few are quite expensive alone, and probably some stuff would be imported if your not skimping.

BUT,

Having said that, most ALL Indian retaurants in Thailand would buy in bulk, so that scotches the previous thought.

and other issues which have been complained in LOS for years: 

-way underspice everything

-will not make it hot enough, even when you ask.

-80 baht for a simple sambal with 1 or 2 red chillis chopped up in it.. what???

-chicken which is cheap, usually only added about 150grams per 300baht dish..

which is very stingy.

-advertise a 400baht set on a sign outside, and then add VAT to the bill 

And its probably more the case that they dont use the proper ingredients above, 

but fake stuff or cheap alternatives.

Nup, like another poster said

they are ALL rogues and charlitans! 

The only truth ! Anybody who doesn't understand this is a fool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

I could go along with that reason 10 years ago.....but now all spices are readily available in Makro cheap...and chicken at 46 baht a kg....a chicken Madras can be made for 25 baht...and why charge 120 baht for basmati rice it's only 40baht a kg....

Thank you to try to explain to all these people who seem proud to understand nothing !

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Here's another aspect of this. 

If it was a French restaurant with the same ingredient costs and prices people would say it's a bargain. 

Westerners tend to demand that "ethnic" foods be super cheap. 

I remember a wonderful Chinese restaurant I used to eat at in the US. The Chinese groups were spending hundreds of dollars per table on gourmet dishes. Most of the westerners were ordering low priced fried rice and sweet and sour pork. 

Here's an aspect also...why is an Indian almost as expensive as it is in the UK....salaries, rents, taxes are all far more there...mind you, the cost of some roast dinners and fish n chips here is also as expensive as UK if not more...my local pub in the UK still does a roast dinner and pint of beer for the equivelant of 220 baht

• Like 1

4 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Having worked in India , Pakistan  aqnd Bangladesh  and being a Brit brought up on superb indian  food in UK  I learned from talkking to chefs in UK indian restaurants and take aways they will tell u rhey have the best quality ingredients in UK   the Indian food in UK is not the same as In India  , some indian food in Thailand and pattaya  is abyssmal   and the ones that are good are overpriced and definitely very small portions compared to UK and India mor Pakistan

Sorry but i find all Indian restaurants food to be exactly similar ! Same ingredients, same taste, no difference, I even think that it's BS to think that Indian by nature (where I will of course never go again) is better. People pay for the decoration, not for the food !

16 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

Not sure that it's the question asked...

But if it makes you feel better to say it, i am happy for you ❤️

Well the answer to your initial question was so obvious 

that i thinked it should be intersting to enlarge it to a largest one,

If you can not understand the basics about runing a restaurant

(The price of the food not beingm by far,  the only cost) i can not help you anymore

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Ignorant and offensive  post. The OP is unhappy with the portion size and the cost of service, and uses that as the basis to categorize Indian restaurants as "dishonest".  This is the type of logic that identifies an ignorant and bigoted  person. Oh my what a calamity that a dish costs 300 baht. Hardly expensive.

Here's a news flash Mr. Cheap Charlie;

- Restaurants are usually tenants and they pay rent. The better the location, the higher the rent.

- Labour is a cost as is a decent cook/chef. Appreciably some farangs are of the opinion that Thais and Indians should jump at the chance to serve and cater to the needs of miserable, condescending farangs. The workers don't work for free. 

-What some consider a small portion is in fact the appropriate size portion. 

- There are costs to running a restaurant such as the linens, equipment and other supplies.  Laundry services are not cheap, nor are restaurant supplies.It's wonderful that someone is able to find cheap chicken at makro for 60 baht. They can do the cleaning, preparation  and cooking of the  meal too and charge themselves the  30 baht they believe their time is worth.

Why it is expected that Thai/Indian meals should be so much lower than comparable meals in people's homeland's is beyond reason. The costs for businesses are not spectacularly lower in Thailand, particularly if one expects quality. Those who complain live in the land of delusion.

Spot on, because cause it is Thailand people seem to think everything is 30 bhat a plate. Has the OP been to a Japanese restaruant lately.

• Like 2

If you want to fill yourself up for cheap. Try ordering a Non Veg Thali. Last time I was there I went to the one (Not allowed to put name it I think) but it's the one on second road 150mt on the right up from the beach the one that's upstairs. (been there for years) So much food I got through around half of it. But then again I'm not a big eater. Was it good well I am recommending it however you see that. Fab value for the monies. Also busy full of Indians so has a good turnover of food. Less chance of getting food poisoning. That you could get in 95% of the others.   

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If you want to fill yourself up for cheap. Try ordering a Non Veg Thali. Last time I was there I went to the one (Not allowed to put name it I think) but it's the one on second road 150mt on the right up from the beach the one that's upstairs. (been there for years) So much food I got through around half of it. But then again I'm not a big eater. Was it good well I am recommending it however you see that. Fab value for the monies. Also busy full of Indians so has a good turnover of food. Less chance of getting food poisoning. That you could get in 95% of the others.   

Sorry about the small print in the above post but I put it in in normal size and TVF did what it likes to do and changed it to what you can see. Big Thank you to TVF for messing up yet another of my posts.

• Haha 1

Just now, fredob43 said:

Sorry about the small print in the above post but I put it in in normal size and TVF did what it likes to do and changed it to what you can see. Big Thank you to TVF for messing up yet another of my posts. Oh it's not second road it's central road sorry.

• Sad 1

I do agree that the prices for Indian food at most restaurants seems pretty high, but if it is the taste you are after, rather than the places ambience, the UK supermarkets like Siamburys in Pattaya have a good range of takeaway ones around 100 Baht.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

''Pattaya Indian restaurant indian food why so expensive ?why so small portions ?''

The first question coming in my mind is ''why an Indian restaurant in Pattaya'' ?

During the last years i have never seen one of them with enough customers inside 

most of them seem to be empty most of the time, however they are still here

one more of these economic mysteries that Pattaya has the secret

Do you guys not realize that most Indian restaurants in Pattaya are now closed...

99% of Indian restaurants customers are Indians....1% farang....0% Thai

The 100s of Indian restaurants were already running on fumes....Now they are completely 100% stone cold dead... 

The Indian restaurants have a BAD BAD reputation with farangs that they WILL NEVER be able to recover from of very high prices and so-so food...Without Indians they might as well start digging a mass grave to bury them all in and have the funeral..

I guess there are still a few open...  

Edited by redwood1

12 hours ago, jimmybcool said:

Calculating the value of a dish in a restaurant based on the cost of one of the ingredients in the grocery store is silly.  The costs of running a restaurant are many and the price of the food in the dishes served a small part of it.  It's simple.  Either you find the ambiance, seating, taste and quantity of what you get a value for your money or you don't.  if you wanted more get two.  It it isn't worth it then don't return.

A rough guideline in the restaurant industry is raw ingredients should be about 25-30% of the finished meal price.   

Alot of Indian restaurants in Bangkok are over priced too. But, some have reasonable veggie dishes, like Al Hossein on Soi 3/1 Sukhumvit. 110 - 130 baht for large dishes. Disapprove with your feet. 

I don't know Pattaya well enough. But, veggie dishes should never be more than 150 baht. Tell them you disapprove and remind them it is a post covid economy! 

41 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Do you guys not realize that most Indian restaurants in Pattaya are now closed...

99% of Indian restaurants customers are Indians....1% farang....0% Thai

The 100s of Indian restaurants were already running on fumes....Now they are completely 100% stone cold dead... 

The Indian restaurants have a BAD BAD reputation with farangs that they WILL NEVER be able to recover from of very high prices and so-so food...Without Indians they might as well start digging a mass grave to bury them all in and have the funeral..

I guess there are still a few open...  

i dont interact with falangs into indian food so i wouldnt know,

but they have a bad rep among thais, being unclean, 

if that is referring to hygiene procedures or plain racism i do not know

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

A rough guideline in the restaurant industry is raw ingredients should be about 25-30% of the finished meal price.   

Not only for the restaurants, it's the same for most of the classic businesses

the 3\3 rule about the money distribution

1\3 = the cost of your product (The food and ingredients for a restaurant)

1\3 = runing costs (Rent, wage, insurance, electric + water bill and so on)

1\3 = your profit (Usualy before taxes)

The 10% left are the starting investissments, lifted on several years 

(For a restaurant is the buying of the kitchen appliances, tables and chairs, the dishes)

if one of your distribution money part is high under or high up 30 %, something is wrong with your business

• Like 1