Britain nears abandoning Brexit trade deal hope - The Telegraph

webfact

2 hours ago, RayC said:

99% of economists and their models point to both the UK and the EU losing economically as a result of Brexit (Patrick Mumford is the only outlier who springs to mind, and outlier is definitely the operative word). Of that 99%, almost all believe that the UK will suffer the greatest hit. Example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.euronews.com/amp/2019/03/21/brexit-will-cost-the-eu-40-billion-annually-study-founds

Even in the unlikely event that the EU suffers more than the UK, this in itself seems to be an economic sado-masochistic justification (We will suffer pain but your's will be greater). 

The only rational argument for leaving the EU rests on the notion of sovereignty. Yes by leaving the EU Westminster, rather than Brussels, will be sovereign. But what does that mean in practice? 

"Since 1999, when legislative records became available to the public for the first time in an accessible format, the UK has voted “no” to legislation on 57 occasions. It has voted “yes” 2,474 times and abstained from voting 70 times. This translates into the UK opposing 2% of legislation" (Source: https://ukandeu.ac.uk/fact-figures/how-often-is-the-uk-outvoted-in-brussels/#).

So, 4 years of wrangling, likely future depressed economic growth plus (probably) upteen millions of future manhours in unnecessary trade related work, all for the sake of claiming back 2% more sovereignty. Worth it? Not in my book. 

PS. Will we really be any more sovereign? In the absence of a deal with the EU, the UK will be even more desperate for a trade deal with the US. The likely price? Amongst other things, a lowering of animal welfare standards requiring a change in UK law. Sovereignty and choice indeed!

Come on! Don't be nasty! The UK will be sovereign again for setting the amount of E154 allowed for tainting kippers!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

Your argument is fundamentally flawed - the continental Europeans don't have the same taste for Irish dairy products that the UK has.

I'm surprised you didn't know that!

Ah right so the UK likes Irish milk, cheese and butter but the Europeans dont. They prefer UK milk, cheese and butter and will be willing to pay a premium for it just because it comes from dear old blighty. 

You are right. I did not know that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

You just said it but you were promoting the EU and their most recent piece of bartering, which has just caused even more disunity within the "union". My point is that the EU has not made up the shortfall but forced some individual but relatively wealthy nations to do it, as well as be the main donors of the virus recovery fund. These nations are understandably unhappy. 

what do you mean by nations?shouldn't they give their citizens a vote if they want to leave or stay?

16 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Really? What trade agreements specifically would wipe out what and how? 

Just looking at the very first in the list: dairy products. 

1) 91% of UK dairy exports go to the EU. You’re pretty much losing your only customer. You need to find a new customer who’s willing to buy c. 1 Mt of dairy products per year. 

2) That 1 Mt is about half the dairy imports of China, and about the dairy that Russia imports. It’s twice the amount of what Mexico, Algeria, Indonesia and Japan import. Those are the biggest dairy importers (excluding the EU) in the world. 

3) UK’s dairy industry is not particularly competitive. And I’m talking production cost here. Any tariffs go on top and make your product even less competitive. 

So who are you going to sell all that overpriced dairy products to? 

Not only are Brit. dairy products overpriced, based on the jolly Brexiteer brigade at TV, they seem to be acquiring a bitter taste.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, evadgib said:

getting on with it? As Exit looms,  01/01/2021 - you must be joking. To quote your UK Gov. news release, dated July 2020, 'An FTA with New Zealand can bring investment, better jobs, higher wages and more affordable prices just when we need them the most.' 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

not only colouring of kippers

but also;

UK is now free to grow both bananas and cucumbers that bend in the opposite direction, if they so wish

and wiggle a bit too.

1 hour ago, paddypower said:
chicken feed: example according to the House of Commons library: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7886/
In 2018 the UK made an estimated gross contribution (after the rebate) of £13.2 billion. The UK received £4.3 billion of public sector receipts from the EU, so the UK’s net public sector contribution to the EU was an estimated £8.9 billion.

Sounds about right for the net bung. 

Edited by nauseus
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RayC said:

That does not answer my question. You stated: "I think that your method to calculate sovereignty by legislation by voting is flawed. We don't get a vote on most of the legislation that we have to accept".

I asked you to quote me examples of instances where EU "law" has passed into UK law that the UK objected to, but where the UK did not have the opportunity to vote against it? 

In reply, you simply state the different types of EU legislation.

Well it does answer your question. Treaty law and regulations (and "decisions") are immediately binding on member states. Directives have deadlines for future incorporation into national law. We don't have the option to vote against any of these.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Ah right so the UK likes Irish milk, cheese and butter but the Europeans dont. They prefer UK milk, cheese and butter and will be willing to pay a premium for it just because it comes from dear old blighty. 

You are right. I did not know that.

That's not what I said and you did know that.

27 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

arguing with a Brexiteer is like playing chess with a pigeon.

The pigeon just knocks all the pieces over.

Then <deleted>s all over the board.

Then struts around like it won.

Sounds strangely like 49.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Sounds strangely like 49.

re 49 and similarities, (my preference is 42);

49er is a US West Coast footballteam

49er is a very popular Olympic class sailing vessel, dinghy/skiff for 2 persons

NOT easy to master - requires deep concentration and 100% attention ALL the time

any similarities with TVF's 49er?

(since it is Saturday)

10 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

re 49 and similarities, (my preference is 42);

49er is a US West Coast footballteam

49er is a very popular Olympic class sailing vessel, dinghy/skiff for 2 persons

NOT easy to master - requires deep concentration and 100% attention ALL the time

any similarities with TVF's 49er?

(since it is Saturday)

My last sail was longer ago. Fireballs and 505s.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, nauseus said:

My last sail was longer ago. Fireballs and 505s.

long ago ie -->49 observed as tricky

Fireball and 505 (rather big?) are both 1 trapeze?

49er is double trapeze (trickier to nail down and catch)

anyway,

I don't think it would be good for UK to come out of this with no deal,

not so much because of the sell/buy economy satang aspect but

because UK will, once again, have demonstrated to the rest of the world her lack of talent in lubricating

difficult political issues sufficiently to land some results.

UK's track record since the run up to the referendum is not shiny

10 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

long ago ie -->49 observed as tricky

Fireball and 505 (rather big?) are both 1 trapeze?

49er is double trapeze (trickier to nail down and catch)

anyway,

I don't think it would be good for UK to come out of this with no deal,

not so much because of the sell/buy economy satang aspect but

because UK will, once again, have demonstrated to the rest of the world her lack of talent in lubricating

difficult political issues sufficiently to land some results.

UK's track record since the run up to the referendum is not shiny

Fireball about the same size, 505 a bit bigger. Both used to be single trapeze. Just checked - both classes still sailing and racing worldwide. 

I don't think it would be good for UK to come out of this with no deal either but it is difficult dealing with an EU that still wants to control us.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2020 at 3:04 PM, evadgib said:
On 7/31/2020 at 1:38 PM, 7by7 said:

In other words, you don't know.

So I'll tell you; they never existed!

As for the deals which have actually been concluded, apart from those rolled over from EU deals listed earlier, there are none.

'Do your own legwork'!

Another cop out from you. Another typical TVF Brexiteer response.

As ever, when challenged you have shown that you are all bluster and no substance.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 4:08 PM, evadgib said:

49 is ???????????????????????????? is he not?

No, I am not a flag.

I am English. But I do not adhere to the arrogance evident amongst many English, or Welsh, Northern Irish and Scottish come to that, expats if posts on this board are typical.

• Like 2