Britain nears abandoning Brexit trade deal hope - The Telegraph

webfact

4 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

If people could rationalise explain the benefits of Brexit without going to a racist/xenophobic over drive then i'd be more comfortable. Like i say, i've accepted the result, i just would be interested in the area we are going. We seem to have <deleted> of China, USA no trade deal on the horizon, India have said they want more rites for their students in the UK and easier freedom of movement (which will replace eastern Europeans with Indians). So where do we go ?

I honestly want this to be a success, but no one can explain the plan. 

You forgot the Russians!!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Well, the British electorate never really decided to join what is now the EU, it was thrust upon us so it's difficult to say that we changed our minds. 

You're correct that we voted to leave the EU though. So when we leave, we don't abide by the rules of the club any more. Kind of obvious I would have thought.

Oh but we do abide by the rules of the club.

"To facilitate this, under the Withdrawal Agreement, the UK will continue to apply most EU law during the implementation period as if it was still an EU Member State. Any changes or additions to EU law made during the implementation period will also apply. "

https://www.mondaq.com/uk/constitutional-administrative-law/892992/how-does-eu-law-apply-in-the-uk-after-brexit

On 7/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, ukrules said:

Drastic changes are coming in the next 3-4 weeks.

They won't know what hit them but they know it's coming, we left the EU many months ago.

With no deal on the table there's a lot more leeway and we won't be playing ball with the French.

For example, how many 1000's have washed up in boats since we left the EU? What will they do when we send them all back to France?

Forget the immigrants, it’s the French fishermen macron fears most.

Posturing on both sides. A deal will be agreed before year end. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, englishoak said:

Wow after a reread that sounds wayy out there :omfg:..Except theres nothing ive said that cant be backed up with science or appropriate documents, mathematical method or evidence.

Apologies for cutting out an extract, but I disagree with the essence and trends of your forecasts and statements. There is no certainty, except that change will occur. That is factual. No argument. How that change manifests itself across many paths is debatable, maybe we'll see a correlation, but without a conclusive causation - until the consequences are known.   

IMO, until humans stop eating animals, global destruction and pandemics will continue - until AI become the dominant species...  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bannork said:

I've finally found an upside to Brexit: The Irish can watch a British famine.

You might want to check the Irish contribution to the post covid wealth transfer scheme. 16 Billion I believe. The second highest per capita across the bloc.

Better start hoarding them potatoes.????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

With respect, I'm not your skivvy. Look it up yourself. Just google Bloomberg and brexit for starters. Then House of Commons library and brexit. Then costs of brexit. I even posted a brexit cost chart on this forum subject, if you get your butt off the couch and look back.

IMO, whatever the actuality of the financial cost, it's a reality that brexiteers need to accept, and to stop bandying around quoting savings to be made by NOT contributing to the EU budget, as an economic rationale for leaving the EU. Because there isn't any savings to be had.

And as I've posted previously, my view supports this costly actuality providing the UK doesn't pursue unattainable ideologies of going it alone in the modern world. It's unattainable, because it would fail at the first hurdle, e.g. not compromising with the EU on a trade deal, the world's largest trading block and the world's largest trader of manufactured goods and services.

Or would you rather cut off your nose to spite your face and sell off the NHS to the US pharma industry, and also consume chlorinated chicken and junk fast food from USA outlets?

Your choice...

I asked nicely but never mind.

Your additional comments are just more speculation anyway.

I chose already but that had nothing to do with the USA. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Most Brexit fans expectations are on the blink. How are you going to take back fishing licences which your own people sold to the Dutch? I do not know whether you are underestimating the intelligence of the Dutch or overestimating your own.

Are these the same Dutch that just capitulated in the post covid wealth transfer scheme?

I suggest you focus on that bailout payment for the southern nations. It's way more than any fishing rights in our waters.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Apologies for cutting out an extract, but I disagree with the essence and trends of your forecasts and statements. There is no certainty, except that change will occur. That is factual. No argument. How that change manifests itself across many paths is debatable, maybe we'll see a correlation, but without a conclusive causation - until the consequences are known.   

IMO, until humans stop eating animals, global destruction and pandemics will continue - until AI become the dominant species...  

Apology not required, it was a too long anyway. We can agree change will occur, I would rather be wrong than correct but ive been at the bigger picture for a long time now and as time passes various concerns have come to pass. I find most of it easy enough to follow but mostly unpalatable too.   

This isnt really the topic but Pandemics have been around forever and they arnt driven by eating animals and nor is global destruction. Environment and weather changes create more pandemics than viruses crossing species. Eating animals is not the reason for global destruction, we have been doing plenty of that clearing areas to farm soy etc since man learned farming and putting down roots in communities.  That changed global landscapes not hunter gatherer societies.

Its not complicated imo, our population success as a species is primarily due to our intelligence and leaning the ability to bend the world to suit our needs is and thats not going to change. we are simply running out of resources/room. Pandemics, famine and war is imo natures control mechanism, the last one war being hardwired from our evolutionary beginnings.  I have long come to the conclusion nature and/or the divine plan incorporates a self correcting system. The planet dosnt care, 99.9% of all species that have ever been are extinct and end ours will if we do not find new territory. 

It may be AGI will come up with the solution but that best happen real soon. We are in a race imo to find new territory before true self aware AI for the most logical and immediate solution to global harmony would be a mass culling of global population and the tools and methods to do so abound and have for decades. Again i hope I am wrong about that.

• Like 1

( If going to Berlin chaps.... dont forget that white cloth on a stick ..... ????????????

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/24/britain-looks-berlin-break-brexit-deadlock/

Britain looks to Berlin to break Brexit deadlock 
One senior UK source close to the negotiations said Angela Merkel’s reputation as a dealmaker could be essential in ending the impasse 

By
James Franey
in Brussels 
24 July 2020 • 8:00pm

British negotiators are banking on German Chancellor Angela Merkel to unblock Brexit talks after Michel Barnier accused the UK of wrecking the chances of a trade deal with the EU.

In July, Germany took up the six-month rotating presidency of the European Union, which allows it to set the bloc's policy direction until the end of the year.

A senior UK source close to the negotiations said Mrs Merkel's reputation as a dealmaker on the European stage could be key to end the impasse.

more...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 7by7 said:

OK, the exchange:

You asked a rhetorical question suggesting that the EU may have broken international law. I asked you 'How so?'

But as dealing with that seems beyond you, let me answer your question 'Perhaps then, the EU has broken international law in the first instance?' with 'No.'

So, will you now answer my question?

Edit:

A reminder that the international law in question is that which says migrants/refugees picked up in a country's territorial waters are the responsibility of that country.

I asked the question because I don't know the answer.

But you can't just accept that. Is that because you think I know everything?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

You used a rhetorical question to suggest that the EU had broken international law an when I asked you "How so?" you responded that you would answer after I had.

I have answered your question and as you have now acknowledged your prior ignorance on the matter all I can say is that I am happy to have educated you.

Q. What do you think of it so far?

A. Ruggish.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, bannork said:

Of course. Germany has the 'rolling presidency' of the EU now. If anyone can help the UK form a deal with the EU, it's Merkel. 

But the UK must be 'realistic'. 555

She still sounds like Barnier at the moment. I suppose the word 'realistic' cannot be applied to the EU.

This 'rolling presidency' never seems to make much difference. If Mutti wants to stick her oar in, she'll do it anyway.

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

She still sounds like Barnier at the moment. I suppose the word 'realistic' cannot be applied to the EU.

This 'rolling presidency' never seems to make much difference. If Mutti wants to stick her oar in, she'll do it anyway.

its not supposed to make much difference, its burden sharing and a means to avoid much difference

On 7/23/2020 at 1:45 PM, Andrew65 said:

The mantra of the 1975 referendum was "Your jobs are safer with Britain in the EEC" 3.5 million jobs weren't safer. Or maybe if we'd have left the EEC 7 million would've been unemployed?

I obviously didn't say that 450 million people moved to the UK, I said they were given the right to.

I never said that the Soviet Union joined, I said most of the Soviet bloc. 

Pigeon chess is what you play with Brexiteers to a man.....they are the death of reason evidence and logic

• Like 1