Britain nears abandoning Brexit trade deal hope - The Telegraph

webfact

8 minutes ago, RayC said:

And you are now reduced to outright falsehoods.

Below is a direct quote from my post (#404). Surely, it is implicitly obvious that I agree with these economists that both the EU and UK will be losers?

"99% of economists and their models point to both the UK and the EU losing economically as a result of Brexit ...".

Finally, a statement of yours that I can agree with.

zzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

You are flop flipping again old boy.

I have read it several times and the only conclusion I can come up with is as I have described.

This is an optimistic take on the impact on the dairy industry come Brexit. Even its not good news.

https://www.mintecglobal.com/blog/negotiation-in-food-commodity-procurement-brexit-dairy

Your comment about replacement imports is telling though. Even you admit our dairy farmers will be competing with global suppliers who can undercut our domestic ones.

As I said. You guys have made our farmers lives a lot tougher. Especially given they will no longer have access to their biggest export market and all those lovely EU subsidies they have been accustomed to receiving. 

So you knew all this and went ahead and voted for Brexit anyway.  

lovely eu subsidies?a small percentage of what we pay in,that eu,s all heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lormak said:

Nobody with a brain thought Brexit would be easy. We knew the EU Mafia would play dirty and make it as unpleasant as possible. But we British are a resourceful and determined people. Once we get the EU's knee off our neck (31.12.20) we will take back control of our laws, economy and borders. Great Britain will flourish again!  We will trade with a world market TEN TIMES bigger than the failing EU!

Remainers just need to grow a spine and a pair of balls and they can join with us in this endeavour......

BLM!

British lives matter!

On 8/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, nauseus said:

Well, as about 80% of all EU legislation is now passed by QMV then maybe even you can see the way things are going? A big maybe, I know. 

F1 time.

Kindly give us a few examples of EU legislation where unanimity was required and can now be passed by QMV.

However many these amount to, whatever the percentage, as already shown to you several times, any such change from unanimity to QMV must itself be agreed unanimously.

I repeat: I obviously have more faith in UK governments than you. Perhaps you can give an example of a weak UK government which caved in under pressure and didn't use it's veto?

Not that I expect an answer; it would be a first were you to so do!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

reading your entry one can almost hear the wind filling the sails of the highspeed clippers

in the India/Ceylon - UK trade

while waves are being crushed

and the sailors chime in to;

well certainly beats the remainers anthem........those were the days my friend,we thought they,d never end,well they did.

22 hours ago, bannork said:

'Boris, you've got to agree to a level playing field if you want a deal,' says Dad, (who has applied for a French passport by the way).

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pm-in-cloud-cuckoo-land-on-trade-says-father-hpp80wtxw

Since when did the Prime Minister's dad become a key negotiator / advisor in the trade talks? If I hire a car mechanic I don't get the mechanic's dad to check his work ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Just as you were able to do while part of the EU.

Indeed, and in the EU we had the joint clout of a massive trading bloc behind us.

Whereas out of the EU we are a smallish nation without that clout. 

Not that many of our former trading partners while in the EU are queueing up to do new deals with us, and we all know that talks over a deal with our major partner, the EU, keep stalling.

UK hopes dwindling for post-Brexit trade deals with EU and US

........And US and UK officials have hit stumbling blocks concerning UK food regulations and the amount of market access demanded by the Americans.......

.......The talks have stalled over Washington’s demand for greater access to the British food market – specifically agriculture – which has prompted backlash from the industry and some MPs.

Many die hard Brexiteers say that if we don't have deals we will trade on WTO terms; as if that was some sort of panacea.

Anyone who subscribes to that view should read What would ‘trading on WTO terms’ mean for the UK? It's a lengthy document; which goes to show that trading on WTO terms is not as simple as Brexiteers make out!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

UK hopes dwindling for post-Brexit trade deals with EU and US

Many die hard Brexiteers say that if we don't have deals we will trade on WTO terms; as if that was some sort of panacea.

Anyone who subscribes to that view should read What would ‘trading on WTO terms’ mean for the UK? It's a lengthy document; which goes to show that trading on WTO terms is not as simple as Brexiteers make out!

Blah, blah, blah.....  Whinge, dribble, snivel...

Brexit is not, and never has been, primarily about the economy. Its about freedom, sovereignty and self-determination. If the country takes an economic hit then so be it. We'll come through. We have faced far greater difficulties in the past. Frankly there are some things you just can't put a price on!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Compounded by the fact the trump administration has been undermining the functioning of the WTO by blocking appointments of Appeals Judges. I note the UK is trying to resolve this issue, but to date with no success.

• Like 2