Virus + failing economy = major changes for visas and extensions?

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I object to your judging my lifestyle when you don't know anything about me. Pretty ignorant of you, actually. I have a large house, wife, run a pickup, keep five dogs, I have aircon, IPTV, internet, I eat well - either Thai or foreign food, go out for dinner once a week. Only extra expenses are once a year car insurance and servicing.

If you have a large house than that's not included in that 20k a month you are living on.  If the rental value is 20k than you are living on 40k a month.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So I can fly into Thailand visa exempt. Marry my online sweetheart. Obtain a non O at immigration stick 400k in a Thai bank for 2 months and obtain 12 month permission of stay. Wash and repeat.

Or, as in my case over 50, fly in visa exempt obtain non o at immigration having 800 in Thai bank. Obtain 12 month permission of stay. Wash and repeat.

Done that for 8 years. Only ONE change and that was money in bank requirements.

I visit CW once a year. Very easy process if your organized.

And what will you do if 2021 rules change? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

If you have a large house than that's not included in that 20k a month you are living on.  If the rental value is 20k than you are living on 40k a month.

No problem. You are then paying yourself 20k per month rent, and your income is 40k per month.

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

No problem. You are then paying yourself 20k per month rent, and your income is 40k per month.

There's a sudden influx of development projects, here in the north, with suddenly 30-60% "discounted rates", having ridiculous bank valuations, and a lot of now-bank-owned defaulted new builds - I'll give it a couple of months more, then start cherry-picking my (retirement) investment fund as more and more flood the market:violin:   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Exactly. So you are not living on 20k a month.

Saying that you live on 20k a month and have a good life in Thailand cannot be true.

1 hour ago, dimitriv said:

Exactly. So you are not living on 20k a month.

Saying that you live on 20k a month and have a good life in Thailand cannot be true.

If his income is 40K per month (regular 20K income, plus the 20K he pays himself to stay in his house) this should satisfy immigration's income requirement for an extension to live with his spouse. However, my understanding is that immigration does not accept this.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Retirement extension through agent, no financials, no paperwork, 25k.

Same as Elite but far cheaper.

Retirement extension, 50k a month via Transferwise, 200k in the bank, 1900 at Immigration.

• Like 1

I am Belgian, married with Thai lady since 2000. I am here on "Retirement Visa" based on income in homeland. No need of any amount in a Thai bank, no need of a minimum of 65000 monthly if I don't want to. I do my 90 days on line, once a year 2 visits to Immigration Jomtien (2, because I can only collect my passport the day after) 

Usually my yearly visit to an Immigration officer takes 10 minutes (waiting time not included). 

This way is used by many and since years.

Alas not possible anymore for Americans, Australians, British. 

I, and many don't complain about the Thai Immigration rules qua staying. 

Well 1 visit instead of 2 at Jomtien Immigration would be nice. 

17 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

We see tourist businesses affected because we are tourists, or expats. Our view is skewed heavily. Go into a factory or industrial area and it is most likely business as usual. 

We do not have a good estimate of how much Thailand is actually being affected. It is most likely much less than we think. In other words, i do not think Thais care as much about tourist dollars as the average foreigner thinks. Because, it is a small piece of a big picture. To us it looks like everything, to the bigwigs it is just a small piece of the pie, while other pieces are potentially increasing, for example Grab. 

Possibly many TV posters never leave areas like Pattaya, Phuket, CM.

In those areas (and to some extent BKK) a majority of businesses are totally dependent on tourism - I've even heard Thais refer to them as "Farangland" ????

On 7/22/2020 at 4:08 PM, JTXR said:

The likelihood that very, very high health insurance cover will be required for the foreseeable future may spell the eventual death of the NonImm OA retirement visa, at least for those much over 60.

Why should that spell the death of the OA visa?  Surely any sensible pensioner has high cover health insurance anyway?

I see a sea of change coming. The idea being get them all back first and focus on more long term tourism. Less visitors but longer terms and much more attractive business opps not just BOI bs.

The well is dry.

Time to change.

51 minutes ago, VBF said:

Possibly many TV posters never leave areas like Pattaya, Phuket, CM.

In those areas (and to some extent BKK) a majority of businesses are totally dependent on tourism - I've even heard Thais refer to them as "Farangland" ????

Ever heard of the Eastern Economic Corridor in Chonburi? 

That's where Thai folks move now to get jobs, and that's where a new Thai middle class is emerging. Many from Issan come here. The tourist resort Pattaya Beach is only a small part of this EEC. So, Pattaya is not that dependent on Farang tourism anymore. Pattaya Beach is just losing its flair temporarily. 

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, micmichd said:

So, Pattaya is not that dependent on Farang tourism anymore. Pattaya Beach is just losing its flair temporarily. 

At this moment it certainly appears it is and suffering badly. Not sure I have seen much diversification bar a lot of futile drainage and cable hiding projects.

9 hours ago, dimitriv said:
14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I object to your judging my lifestyle when you don't know anything about me. Pretty ignorant of you, actually. I have a large house, wife, run a pickup, keep five dogs, I have aircon, IPTV, internet, I eat well - either Thai or foreign food, go out for dinner once a week. Only extra expenses are once a year car insurance and servicing.

Would you care to re-write this, as what you say is very confusing - not only to me. Thanks.

• Like 1