IKEA

scubascuba3

I went to IKEA Bangna from Pattaya the other day to order lots of stuff, apparently to order a kitchen and have it installed you have to go there and discuss, what they didn't tell me is there is a 4 week waiting list, plus half the kitchen was suddenly out of stock

Also many other things which were shown as in-stock weren't when it came to paying.

Also getting there from Pattaya is a PITA as the shuttle bus from Udomsuk isn't operating currently so it's a case of risking your life on a motorbike there and back.

Moral to the story, life is too short to waste a day there, just buy online

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

Geez, sounds like you were very unprepared and why go to IKEA?  Because it is cheap?

Plenty of places to order a kitchen closer to you.

Baan and Beyond is in Pattaya and will provide much quicker, better service, and better quality.

But since you did not, why didn't you just call IKEA and inquire first about what you needed?

Would have saved some time and hassle yeah.

Edited by bkk6060

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Geez, sounds like you were very unprepared and why go to IKEA?  Because it is cheap?

Baan and Beyond is in Pattaya and will provide much quicker, better service, and better quality.

But since you did not, why didn't you just call IKEA and inquire first about what you needed?

i had a look in Baan and Beyond, just looked like cheap chinese stuff, doors rattling already when new, not good. IKEA is good quality, previously I've bought beds, wardrobes, drawers and mattresses still look and feel brand new after 10 years.

i did call them, plus you can see online everything in stock, then when you go to pay suddenly it's not in stock, their records aren't aligned

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Clearly you know nothing of IKEA. Theirs kitchens are amazing. All with softclose doors, very smart planning etc. Im from Sweden but live in Thailand and soon to make a house. I am one of those that for sure will buy their stuff. But i guess you can go buy some cheap bamboo chairs at somchai

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i had a look in Baan and Beyond, just looked like cheap chinese stuff, doors rattling already when new, not good. IKEA is good quality, previously I've bought beds, wardrobes, drawers and mattresses still look and feel brand new after 10 years.

i did call them, plus you can see online everything in stock, then when you go to pay suddenly it's not in stock, their records aren't aligned

Even in Sweden theres 4 weeks waiting time. Kitchen comes from Italy here. Corona situation i was told

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sead said:

Clearly you know nothing of IKEA. Theirs kitchens are amazing. All with softclose doors, very smart planning etc. Im from Sweden but live in Thailand and soon to make a house. I am one of those that for sure will buy their stuff. But i guess you can go buy some cheap bamboo chairs at somchai

For sure.

Every Somchai and his cousin Terdsak will sell and install cheap junk.

Better to look for quality be it IKEA or custom built furniture and cabinets.

Good cabinetmakers still exist here but they're not always easy to find.

• Like 1

Assuming you took the bus from N. Pattaya to Ekkamai, getting off at Udom Suk, I'd suggest next time getting off the bus at HOME PRO, Ban Plee and just taking a taxi to Ikea, no more than B60.

I bought several cabinets, both wall and base (with counter top) from Ikea online and paid about B300 each extra for assembly.  Money well spent.  The team showed up on time, knew what they were doing, installed them properly and carried all the packaging out with them.

I'm very satisfied with what I got. 

Edited by dddave

6 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Don't think your allowed to have any business here unless you run out of stock followed by the obligatory no have Mr ????

Bought fridge from Big C last month special offer today and tomorrow. Mrs says after getting the bloke to measure it- we will have one then- no have. She asks sold them all already- no never had any stock. She nagged him that much he rang around and one from somewhere 2 weeks later.

16 minutes ago, dddave said:

Assuming you took the bus from N. Pattaya to Ekkamai, getting off at Udom Suk, I'd suggest next time getting off the bus at HOME PRO, Ban Plee and just taking a taxi to Ikea, no more than B60.

I bought several cabinets, both wall and base (with counter top) from Ikea online and paid about B300 each extra for assembly.  Money well spent.  The team showed up on time, knew what they were doing, installed them properly and carried all the packaging out with them.

I'm very satisfied with what I got. 

Kitchen installation has a 4 week wait so i declined. The cost would have been 12% apparently. I'm not sure how they installed your kitchen for 300 baht extra, some plumbing to do also

40 minutes ago, johng said:

Do they still expect poeple to physically go to "goong thep" to actually pay for the stuff or have the realised online payment ?

Online payment is easy, much better than going there. Truck delivery is 570 baht, problem is I'll have to have 4 deliveries due to items not being in stock so 570 baht x4, plus assembly which is 5%, quite expensive if having several items assembled

I used IKEA for a total condo remodeling in Chiang Mai last year.  Made one trip to Bangna to consult with kitchen and closet designers after I did extensive research online for weeks, finding the IKEA UK website more user friendly with their design tools and getting many ideas from Pinterest.  Previous posters are right, their kitchens and closet systems are top-notch.  High-end furniture is just right for us -- we're retirees who probably need about 10-15 years life from this condo.  Not buying furniture to last 40 years like we did when we were first married.

As for some items being out-of-stock, I just had them store what was in stock and wait until they had everything and then deliver the order complete.  Then the installation teams came.  One for the furniture and closet system and another for the kitchen and bathroom.  Even with the distance to Chiang Mai everything worked smoothly.  They had a couple problems with damaged parts, but had items overnighted from Bangkok so they could finish the job.  

After we moved in, I decided to buy some additional pieces of furniture and ordered online.  Payment with U.S.-issued credit card, no problem.  Again, paid for assembly.  No brainer to pay for assembly.  Their teams, always a man and woman are swift and professional.  

I used a local contractor for the project, a young Akha man with a good work ethic and English language skills.  His crew was Akha and hardworking.  I had so much fun doing the major condo remodeling.  We lived in our "old condo" in the same building, so it was easy to "supervise" the project and as a retiree, I had the time available.  I'd love to do another condo remodel with the same crew and IKEA stuff.  But, in this rental market, it doesn't make sense to get another unit in the building with the idea it could be an income-generating rental.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had an IKEA Kitchen recently. 

A few items were out of stock and we had to wait for about a month for the ‘Build team’ (delays due to Covid-19) by the time the build team were available all items (previously out of stock) had been delivered. 

Pro-Tip: IKEA outsource the kitchen surfaces (counter top), in out case with IKEA Mega Bangnait was Boonthavorn.

The IKEA work surfaces are double for the same surface at Boonthavorn.

IKEA team were professional and did an excellent job over two days.

Before coming out to fit the kitchen a member of their design team came out just to make sure all ordered items were present and the room-size was as per the fittings (i.e. to ensure that no howlers had been made before sending the whole team out there !)

Once the Kitchen had been installed / fit by IKEA, Boonthavorn came out, measured up and sent out the Kitchen top we’d chosen (in the showroom) - they spent a day fitting the work surface, another excellent job.

I think the total cost was somewhere in the region of 140,00 baht (excluding Oven, Hob cooker, extractor).

Edited by richard_smith237

Yes, we got the granite kitchen surface locally in Chiang Mai.  Got our floor from Boonthavoon Chiang Mai.  Also, a benchtop that is an IKEA hack. The floor is tile, but looks like parquet wood.  The benchtop is also tile, but looks like marble. They have beautiful stuff at Boothavoon.