Heat Reflective Paint

ray23

I've doen a bit of research on it and think it could very well be a wio orthwhile investmetn for those of us living in bricj homes, which just seem to absorb the heat. I know that it is made in China, but I can not find a Thailand distributor.

Actually it is additive mixed with normal house paint and can be used on walls and the roof.

So anyone konw of a distributor in Thailand?

I also did a bit of research and it seems just using a high quality outdoor white paint will work almost as well without the additional cost. Do a search on painting a roof white and you should get the same facts.

Thanks Might have the whitest house around since I was thinking in terms of he exterrior walls as well. Did see some mention of paintingthe roof white really didn't go o into specifics due for exterior painting next year anyway mihgt a well do somehtign a little more constructive.

Our home has very little attic venting and something certianly needs to be done about that as well. I have seen he attic vent fans here, but I'm concerned about leakage

Thanks Might have the whitest house around since I was thinking in terms of he exterrior walls as well. Did see some mention of paintingthe roof white really didn't go o into specifics due for exterior painting next year anyway mihgt a well do somehtign a little more constructive.

Our home has very little attic venting and something certianly needs to be done about that as well. I have seen he attic vent fans here, but I'm concerned about leakage

Ray you realy need to get a new key board, the one you got is miss spelling words again. :o

A mate is using a heat reflective paint made by Dulux on his house in Viet Nam. Basically it is, as I'm told, fine ground glass mixed in a form of superglue. Expensive though, I'll try and find out more but you could try the Dulux website. By all accounts you wouldn't want it white as it'll blind you and the entire neighborhood, pale grey/sand is recommended.

I've doen a bit of research on it and think it could very well be a wio orthwhile investmetn for those of us living in bricj homes, which just seem to absorb the heat. I know that it is made in China, but I can not find a Thailand distributor.

Actually it is additive mixed with normal house paint and can be used on walls and the roof.

there is actually a very premium brand of reflective paaint on the market in Thailand. Yes the person was very right about high quality white paint except when it gets dirty. the paint i am refering too has a high content of reflective componenets built into it - acutally much higher than the western competitors and the cost is comparitve to high quality house paint. It can be used indoors or outdoors and can be pigmented to desiered colors(within reason) it is distributed in Thailand by the Starkool company. 024164527 ask for Joe or Ruengrit (ronreet) I have used this product on iffices here and in Dubai and have seen tremendous savings on cooling bill.

I wonder if we could get hold of white wash ( similar to the type they use on old houses in the southern mediteranean) here in Thailand. I am not sure but I think it is some type of lime mixed with water, when it goes on the wall it is clear but goes white as it dries, the more light it gets the whiter it goes. This I think is an excellent heat reflective coating, which seems to stay clean looking, compared to regular masonary paint.

MM

there is actually a very premium brand of reflective paaint on the market in Thailand. Yes the person was very right about high quality white paint except when it gets dirty. the paint i am refering too has a high content of reflective componenets built into it - acutally much higher than the western competitors and the cost is comparitve to high quality house paint. It can be used indoors or outdoors and can be pigmented to desiered colors(within reason) it is distributed in Thailand by the Starkool company. 024164527 ask for Joe or Ruengrit (ronreet) I have used this product on iffices here and in Dubai and have seen tremendous savings on cooling bill.

Out standing I will call him Thanks

Chownah the paint we are talking about here if I understand things correctly has a ceramic compontent added to reflect heat.

There was a throw away comment in the Bangkok Post last week where it talked about the Architect 2007 fair in BKK. The article spoke of a Thai company that would introduce its new heat reflective paint that will sell for 70,000 baht per gallon (or maybe ten gallons, unsure). I put the comments in the article down to a misprint or a confused individual but in light of this current thread, and, a lot of posturing by government officials over the recent global warming conference and how Thailand is already proactive in implementing mitigation, maybe a new bandwagon has just started to gather speed.

Out standing I will call him Thanks

Chownah the paint we are talking about here if I understand things correctly has a ceramic compontent added to reflect heat.

Interesting. If anyone has any information about this ceramic component I'd like to hear about it.

Chownah

Lopburi3,

Thanks for the link. It seems that they add some ceramic microspheres to their paint...and they claim that the microspheres and the pigment together reflect over 90% of heat radiation.......Seems like regular white paint does just as well but I'm not sure. I guess I have some prejudicial bias but it seems to me that its just some marketing gimmick....I could definitely be wrong though.

Chownah

Edit: I went out on the net and googled "paint microspheres" and found this link:

http://www.hirshfields.com/ceramic/index.html

which contained this:

"What are ceramic microspheres?

Hirshfield’s PLATINUM CERAMIC™ paints contain ceramic microspheres which are manufactured exclusively by 3M. Think of ceramic microspheres as tiny, microscopic ball bearings. They are perfectly round (spherical) in shape and so fine that the raw materials look like a fine white powder.

In paint formulas, these ceramic beads are used in conjunction with a high quality 100% acrylic resin to create a hard, smooth surface that is extremely resistant to stains, burnishing and abrasion. Ceramic microspheres take the place of conventional extender pigments (such as clay, silica sand, etc.). Conventional extender pigment particles are irregular in size and shape and have jagged peaks and sharp edges which can wear down or . The irregular shapes trap dirt and make washing and stain removal more difficult. Ceramic microspheres pack together much more efficiently, reducing permeability and improving stain resistance. Plus, because of their smooth shape, the paint applies with improved brushing and rolling qualities."

No mention of any particularly good reflective properties so they probably are not exceptional in this way or you can be sure that a paint manufacturer would be touting that property.

And here is another one:

http://www.hytechsales.com/

which says:

"Hy-Tech insulating paint products are based upon our exclusive blend of insulating ceramic microspheres or "vacuum beads", that are designed specifically for mixing into paints, coatings and composites to form a tight interlocking matrix which reduces conductive heat through the painted surface. The ceramic barrier reflects up to 90% of the heat back to the source."

This one claims UP TO 90% reflection of heat....which again I think is comparable to a regular white pigmented paint (but I'm not sure) and if so then it is not exceptional.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

• 2 months later...

don't paint bricks - they do usually have a decorative value. Shade them by plants/trees, overhanged roof or screens. Use the paint for the roof and those parts of the walls not made from the brick

• 11 months later...

Hi,

> ... baht per gallon

Could someone please tell me how much litres is a Gallon in Thailand ? :o

I looked on the Internet and understand that it could be :

~3.79 litres if a US gallon

~4.55 litres if a UK gallon

From past history I suppose the used one here is the UK gallon... ?

Not easy to buy paint here with information in litre, galon, kg... :D

Pattaya46