Good place for chilli con carne?

TacoKhun

Not sure the budget or where you are...but Beefeaters has a Sat/Sun Tex-Mex buffet that has chilli I believe and currently special Covid price of B 295 for all you can eat; also Taco House on Siam Country Club Road on the Darkside is the best Mex/Tex-Mex in town and they too have Chilli. You can find them on Google Maps or Facebook and they deliver.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can recommend the Prime Foods frozen Chilli con Carne. I get them from Siamburi's, but they're available in other places too. Not cheap at around 170 Baht, but a generous portion with good quality ground beef and a sauce that's just right on the spice front. Just microwave it at home when you feel like it. I like it with Jasmine rice, a glass of rich Australian red and a thick slice of garlic bread.

IMG20200812100301.jpg.51a14496035a6cce723a934758c317b7.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Thats what I tell the ladies...Big Size, not too expensive!   Jumbo Frank n beans!   Fills U up..Arroy dee!!!! ????

Too bad about all that disappointment later. But they're quite used to it. Part of the job.

• Like 1

Best I have had in SE Asia Heavens Gate in Savanakhet, Laos. Lovely old guy called Dennis has a little bar at the back of his home. Coldest Beer Laos, great company and great atmosphere.... and the Chilli con carne is awesome, served with a baguette for next to nothing. Would recommend anyone doing a run to Sav to give it a try.

19 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Best I have had in SE Asia Heavens Gate in Savanakhet, Laos. Lovely old guy called Dennis has a little bar at the back of his home. Coldest Beer Laos, great company and great atmosphere.... and the Chilli con carne is awesome, served with a baguette for next to nothing. Would recommend anyone doing a run to Sav to give it a try.

what bus stop do i get off at

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

what bus stop do i get off at

No clue on the bus. I hired a Korean Honda wave copy motorcycle from hell. I would say its within walking distance of nearly anywhere. It's a little way out of the town just off the main road, up near where they have the markets and a few farang style restaurants. Can google it. He has a website which I think shows location. Really worth the visit if you are going to Savanakhet

• Like 1

Why not make it yourself, all of the ingredients can be sourced here if you look.  I make a big 4 liter pot of it and then freeze what's not used by the family into bowl size packs.  Pinto beans, black beans, ground beef, green chilies, garlic powder, red chili powder that you can source, as well as jalapenos.  The Mexican restaurants and taco joints are more than happy to sell you some for your own use.  You just have to make friends with them.  Tortillas can bought in Bangkok at Villa Market, Tops, and Gourmet Market.

Just realized this was the Pattaya form, sorry guys.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You use tortillas with Chilli con Carne? 

"THE FLOUR TORTILLA

As the name suggests, the main ingredient in flour tortillas is flour. They are typically softer and have less flavor than corn tortillas and are used for a variety of different Mexican dishes. Flour tortillas are great for burritos and quesadillas. "

"THE CORN TORTILLA

While the flour tortilla tends to be more popular across the northern states and found more frequently in the US, corn tortillas are more common near the border into Mexico, and in areas central and south of Mexico. When you go to restaurants in Mexico for authentic Mexican cuisine, chances are corn tortillas are going to be more popular.

While flour tortillas have the size and the consistency for entrees like burritos and quesadilla, corn tortillas are typically better suited for tacos, street tacos, taquitos and pretty much any other dish. "

Flour tortillas tend to be softer and larger than corn tortillas, making them more suitable for wraps (like burritos and enchiladas). Corn Tortillas are usually made by frying them in oil, making them crisper and more brittle.

I'd use flour tortillas with chili con carne the way you'd used normal bread with a beef stew (to soak up sauce and wipe the bowl with afterwards).

4 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I'd use flour tortillas with chili con carne the way you'd used normal bread with a beef stew (to soak up sauce and wipe the bowl with afterwards).

Not a fan of corn tortillas, and have always had either rice, or my favourite, well buttered baguette type bread, 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not a fan of corn tortillas, and have always had either rice, or my favourite, well buttered baguette type bread, 

Yeah, I don't make tortillas (of any kind) when I make chili at home. Do prefer a "thick" bread or baguette as opposed to normal sliced bread. I've tried making some flat breads now and then which do the job as well.
Bought some of those pre-made soft wraps last Feb and filled them with meat/cheese, as well as some of the normal taco shells. Maybe try making my own next time (pain in the butt trying to get them thin enough to use as wraps and then not overcooking them so that they become too brittle to use for anything).

21 hours ago, BigStar said:

Too bad about all that disappointment later. But they're quite used to it. Part of the job.

Not the size of your dinghy, but the motion of the ocean.....avast ye mateys!!!! all hands off my poopdeck!!

Sidenote be careful not to get barnacles on your dinghy...keep it shipshape!!!! Ahoy hoy....

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Good little tip that. Been Sav a few times and didn't even know about this place. If the world ever re-opens I will look this up next time.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:08 AM, Guderian said:

I can recommend the Prime Foods frozen Chilli con Carne. I get them from Siamburi's, but they're available in other places too. Not cheap at around 170 Baht, but a generous portion with good quality ground beef and a sauce that's just right on the spice front. Just microwave it at home when you feel like it. I like it with Jasmine rice, a glass of rich Australian red and a thick slice of garlic bread.

IMG20200812100301.jpg.51a14496035a6cce723a934758c317b7.jpg

At it's simplest, so easy to buy some high quality minced beef for something like 150 baht for 500 grams and a ready prepared sauce. Brown mince, add sauce and simmer for a few hours.

I prefer Basmati and actually make Pilau rice to accompany mine. Plus some home made guacamole, tomato salsa and sour cream to cool down the jalapeno.

8 hours ago, scoupeo said:

mostly rice with some chili con carne...

ridiculous restaurant and really not clean without gel or temperature check

There is no Covid in Thailand.

Not had that particular meal but I see between lunch and dinner, for example, they do give the place a good cleaning, and it generally appears clean inside, certainly more so than any of the Indian places. I prefer also that it is indoors and air-conditioned, sharing air with smokers while I eat disgusts me. They do seperate people inside but yes, precautions are loose... they are getting that way generally in town. There isn't a falang in BigC-X who seems to have the sense to put his mask over his nose, and it may even be below his chin. 

• Haha 1