What are my options?

Hi all,

My apologies in advance if the questions that I'm going to ask are already answered multiple times. I can imagine I'm not the only one in this situations and that these questions are already answered. I just couldn't find the answers to them on the forum so quickly.

My situation is as follows;

I'm (dutch national) happily married with my Thai wife for around 10 years. We have two children together (6&9 y/o). We had been living in the UK for about 6 years time. I have my own IT company (UK based), and was solely working from home in the UK with about 4 yearly trips to EU mainland for work (my clients are mainly in Netherlands and Spain). My wife got homesick and was missing her family and Thailand. Since I was working from home already, we decided to move back to Thailand at the beginning of 2020 (jan). We settled down in the city of Khon Kaen and found a nice school for the kids. Since the move from the UK to Thailand cost me quite a bit of money (International school - new car etc), I took the advice of some people and entered Thailand on a visa exempt in January, and visited the lovely city of Savanakhet at mid february to get my NonO ME based on marriage (valid until mid feb 2021). I choice this option for two reasons; I must travel to mainland Europe for work quite often and I wanted to use the first year to get my finance in order and put the 400K on the bank. Obviously after that Covid hit Thailand (and the rest of the world) and the border shut down. Since then I have been on the visa amnesty.

At this moment I'm considering my options, and I came to the following conclusion;

1) Extend with 60 days based upon visiting wife (or dependent kids) and hope the borders open?

2) Extend with 60 days based upon visiting wife (or dependent kids) and put 400k in a Thai bank and apply for a nonO extension near the end of my 60 days extension (I don't prefer this options because I don't have all the money at this moment and I will need to bother people for money which I would like to avoid)

3) Extend with 60 days based upon visiting wife (or dependent kids) and do the monthly income? I heard that you need to show proof of two months income? Since jan 2020 I have an avarage monthly income (through Transferwise Business account) of 119K BAHT. This payment is received at the end of every month in my KruingThai bank. Can I use this as proof of my income? Does KK Immigration accept this?

4) Extend with 60 days based upon visiting wife (or dependent kids)  and use an agent who apparently has a "fix" for the 400K? This will prevent me from having to borrow money for the 400K but it also sounds dodgy to me. I don't know if I feel comfortable to based my permission to stay in Thailand on these kind of practices.  

*Going back to Europe is not an option as I don't have a place anymore in the UK, and have not been living in the Netherlands for 8 years. I don't have any family where I can stay for example. 

I would very much appreciate your advice as what you think my best option would be. I'm especially interested in the monthly method but need to know if this is viable? If not I'm either will have to have 400k or use an agent before the amnesty expired correct?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Eibot said:

3) Extend with 60 days based upon visiting wife (or dependent kids) and do the monthly income? I heard that you need to show proof of two months income? Since jan 2020 I have an avarage monthly income (through Transferwise Business account) of 119K BAHT. This payment is received at the end of every month in my KruingThai bank. Can I use this as proof of my income? Does KK Immigration accept this?

You income should be accepted but you may need to get credit advices from the bank to prove the came from abroad.

You may also need proof of the source of your income. If you could show it was profit from a company you own it may be accepted.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HampiK said:

If he not have the 400K at the moment for sure he not have 500K or 1 million right now to buy the Elite Visa!

Additional if he put the 400K into an Thai bank, it is still his money.. so this would be the better way than Elite Visa. Elite Visa is only for people who not really have to care about the 500K! and are not 50 yet nor have a Thai spouse!

He didn't say he didn't have it, he said he needed to get it in a Thai bank.  Sounds like he could afford it easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You income should be accepted but you may need to get credit advices from the bank to prove the came from abroad.

You may also need proof of the source of your income. If you could show it was profit from a company you own it may be accepted.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply. Is it common for IO to ask for the source of the income? In my case, do I need to show them my business account back in the UK? Could I just play if off as savings for example?

4 minutes ago, SteveK said:

He didn't say he didn't have it, he said he needed to get it in a Thai bank.  Sounds like he could afford it easily.

Hi Steve, not easily unfortunately ???? My preference would be the monthly method, but would be able to get 400K sorted if really really needed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Thanks for your reply. Is it common for IO to ask for the source of the income?

Many offices are asking for proof of the source. 

17 minutes ago, Eibot said:

In my case, do I need to show them my business account back in the UK? Could I just play if off as savings for example?

You could try that. 

• Thanks 1

OP sounds like he has the income method funds but might have to deal with tricky IO questions. To avoid issues with an unfortunately unfriendly IO I would suggest use an agent. As he's all legit shouldn't cost more than 10-15k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

OP sounds like he has the income method funds but might have to deal with tricky IO questions. To avoid issues with an unfortunately unfriendly IO I would suggest use an agent. As he's all legit shouldn't cost more than 10-15k.

Cheers for that. If you know any trustworthy agents, please let me know

In all honesty, if you are over 50, you could go for a retirement extension rather than an extension based on Thai spouse/kids if the local immigration office does not want to process your extension normally (sadly, quite likely in Isaan). The advantage of a retirement extension is that an agent can process it for you more safely and cheaply. If you use a good agent, you are faced with nearly zero risk, especially with a retirement extension. You are then following immigration's preferred procedure (sadly).

EDIT: The only time I would go for a marriage extension via an agent in place of a retirement extension, is if I visualised getting work in Thailand, and requiring a work permit, something I do not sense you are expecting.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

Just now, BritTim said:

In all honesty, if you are over 50, you could go for a retirement extension rather than an extension based on Thai spouse/kids if the local immigration office does not want to process your extension normally (sadly, quite likely in Isaan). The advantage of a retirement extension is that an agent can process it for you more safely and cheaply. If you use a good agent, you are faced with nearly zero risk, especially with a retirement extension. You are then following immigration's preferred procedure (sadly).

Hi Tim,

Thanks! Sadly I'm not over 50 yet, so that's off the table ????

Do you mean that Isaan IO would not want to do my 60 day extension or one year extension? If so, why would they not?

1 minute ago, Eibot said:

Hi Tim,

Thanks! Sadly I'm not over 50 yet, so that's off the table ????

Do you mean that Isaan IO would not want to do my 60 day extension or one year extension? If so, why would they not?

Isaan's immigration offices come under Region 4. The 60-day extension may well be OK. However, the one-year extension, which goes via regional headquarters, appears to be problematic. There is speculation that this is deliberate to push people into the clutches of agents. They will process marriage extensions if they have no plausible grounds for denying you, but I will not be at all surprised if they claim your income type does not qualify (complete BS) or you do not have enough monthly transfers (even worse BS) or you cannot get a one-year extension after taking advantage of the amnesty. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, but be prepared for obstructionism that may well appear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Isaan's immigration offices come under Region 4. The 60-day extension may well be OK. However, the one-year extension, which goes via regional headquarters, appears to be problematic. There is speculation that this is deliberate to push people into the clutches of agents. They will process marriage extensions if they have no plausible grounds for denying you, but I will not be at all surprised if they claim your income type does not qualify (complete BS) or you do not have enough monthly transfers (even worse BS) or you cannot get a one-year extension after taking advantage of the amnesty. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, but be prepared for obstructionism that may well appear.

Cheers Tim. Seems the agent option is the best one. If you happen to know any reliable agents, please let me know!

3 hours ago, Eibot said:

Cheers for that. If you know any trustworthy agents, please let me know

I am in Bkk. I know agents here but you need one in Isaan, KK preferably. If you don't get a response in this thread I would suggest start another one specifically asking for an Imm agent or post in the Isaan forum. Good luck.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Why Me said:

I am in Bkk. I know agents here but you need one in Isaan, KK preferably. If you don't get a response in this thread I would suggest start another one specifically asking for an Imm agent or post in the Isaan forum. Good luck.

Will do mate. Thanks for your help

3 hours ago, Eibot said:

Cheers Tim. Seems the agent option is the best one. If you happen to know any reliable agents, please let me know!

I have no recommendations for agents in Khon Kaen, but I think they exist. You should try first at the regular immigration office anyway. You are no worse off if they deny you. You would just then fall back on the agent option.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

I don't agree with you. And FYI it is division 4 it is not are regional office. Most people do not have a problem getting their extension applied for and approved by division 4 and that includes me (a total of 13 now),

I think you may of read some false reports by a biased member. There is only one office that even has an agent that is available. Some offices like many others are strict on their requirements to apply for an extension using the income option and it is normally the first one.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Why Me said:

physical location is irreverent

most agents have a "special" relationship with an immigration in Pattaya or Nakorn somewhere in issan and can get ur extension. .

Agent i use is in Bangkok uses Khon Kaen immigration

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Eibot said:

I did sent you a PM of what seems a reliable agent operating in Isaan (his IO divisional connections are in Khon Kaen).

According to reports that agent can help you get the 90-day Non Imm O marriage Visa for 25.000 THB (which includes the 'fix' for the 400K).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

I did sent you a PM of what seems a reliable agent operating in Isaan (his IO divisional connections are in Khon Kaen).

According to reports that agent can help you get the 90-day Non Imm O marriage Visa for 25.000 THB (which includes the 'fix' for the 400K).

That is a good price.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't agree with you. And FYI it is division 4 it is not are regional office. Most people do not have a problem getting their extension applied for and approved by division 4 and that includes me (a total of 13 now),

I think you may of read some false reports by a biased member. There is only one office that even has an agent that is available. Some offices like many others are strict on their requirements to apply for an extension using the income option and it is normally the first one.

If I recall correctly from your recent report, they asked you for income-source proof for your monthly-deposits, and you showed your "State Pension" documents (social security) - so, no problem. 

The OP doesn't have that, nor did I.  But my attempt was over a year ago, so who knows that they allow/dis-allow, now.  Therefore @Eibot - no harm trying at the office first (no-agent).  I would bring any documentation you have regarding your income - keep it in your bag, unless/until they ask about it.  Be nice, even if rejected, to help an agent do whatever in the future.

• Like 1

25,000 bht sounds like a very good price indeed. I was quoted 40,000 bht + by a few agents in Pattaya a couple years ago. I'm exactly in the same position as the OP. I will try to extend my stay based on marraige before Sept. 26 in Kalasin IO using the 2 month 40k transfer from abroad method and hope immigration will accept it. I will have bank transfer receipts from abroad, my local bank letter confirming the transfers came from outside Thailand and couple invoices to show what the transfers were for.

If immigration doesn't accept it and most likely they wont from the comments here then I will be forced to use an agent. Now Kalasin is a small city in compare to Khon Kean or Korat as we just got a immigration office last year. Does anybody know any agent there or would it be smart to ask the IO if they know an agent in Kalasin if they deny my extension?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, time2093 said:

..  would it be smart to ask the IO if they know an agent in Kalasin if they deny my extension?

There might be some way to phrase it that could work - but not if, for example, you just presented insufficient financials. 

Maybe go in w/o any documents, and just ask to speak to who handles your type of extension, then tell them you are "confused' about applying, and do they recommend any legal-service to help with applications at their office, so you can do it all "correctly" the first time.

6 minutes ago, time2093 said:

25,000 bht sounds like a very good price indeed. I was quoted 40,000 bht + by a few agents in Pattaya a couple years ago. I'm exactly in the same position as the OP. I will try to extend my stay based on marraige before Sept. 26 in Kalasin IO using the 2 month 40k transfer from abroad method and hope immigration will accept it. I will have bank transfer receipts from abroad, my local bank letter confirming the transfers came from outside Thailand and couple invoices to show what the transfers were for.

If immigration doesn't accept it and most likely they wont from the comments here then I will be forced to use an agent. Now Kalasin is a small city in compare to Khon Kean or Korat as we just got a immigration office last year. Does anybody know any agent there or would it be smart to ask the IO if they know an agent in Kalasin if they deny my extension?

The agent doesn't necessarily need to be based in Kalasin in order to accept you as a customer.  Many provinces with relatively few farangs living there, are served by agents operating from more farange-dense areas.

> I PM-ed you the info of the agent so that you can contact them and ask yourself whether they would be inclined to accept your case. 

57 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If I recall correctly from your recent report, they asked you for income-source proof for your monthly-deposits, and you showed your "State Pension" documents (social security) - so, no problem. 

It was the same last year when I did it last year but I was prepared to be asked for it since I had already seen reports of it being asked for. I may of been one the first ones to use the proof of transfers into the country at my office.

57 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The OP doesn't have that, nor did I.  But my attempt was over a year ago, so who knows that they allow/dis-allow, now.  Therefore @Eibot - no harm trying at the office first (no-agent).  I would bring any documentation you have regarding your income - keep it in your bag, unless/until they ask about it.  Be nice, even if rejected, to help an agent do whatever in the future.

The OP may able to come up with something that will satisfy them.

Did you try to create some proof of the source of your income. The order says investments, saving and such is acceptable.

• Like 1