Medicine stuck in customs

MangoRice

On 8/21/2020 at 3:27 PM, BritManToo said:

You can't post medicine to Thailand.

It's not allowed.

FedEx would have reported it, customs would seize it.

My brother sends me from USA you are only allowed 30 days of meds each shipment, 

19 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Go to your Dr. or hospital and tell them / show them what you take and 

possibly the have an alternate or can order for you... I asked the hospital 

if they have generic for heart medicine I take... they can order and took a

couple days... 

Did you have to pay for a doctor appointment to ask him for an Rx, or did you go directly to the hospital pharmacy?

On 8/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, Captor said:

Can you bring more medicine than for personal use 30 days? I have read that this is the limit.

On thai embassy in Paris website, they mention 30 days only for drugs containing nacotics. In that cas you need you ask for an authorization 2 weeks before entreing thailand. My medicine do not contain narcotics

Last time I brought medicine for 6 months in my baggage (with as less boxes as possible : with 2 boxes I made one).

I didn't declare anything but had prescriptions with me, just in case.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 6:11 AM, Stevemercer said:

<snip>

For example, I use Nexium to control acid reflux, but the brand name is expensive. Nexium is readily available in Thailand, but my local chemist has been unable to source an affordable generic alternative. I can buy a generic version for a quarter of the price on the internet and get it posted to me.

Slightly :offtopic: but for that problem which I also used to get, have you tried Magesto-F?

https://drugs-about.com/drugs-m/magesto-f.html

I believe it's manufactured in Thailand, certainly widely available OTC with no restrictions and I've used it for years.

Many pharmacists in Thailand will be able to advise you.....

NOTE: A very reputable European doctor in Pattaya  recommended it to me but as I'm NOT a doctor, please check your personal situation: Other conditions, meds, etc.

Edited by VBF

1 hour ago, Captor said:

Rx? Translation please.

Not often required in Thailand.

Rx: A medical prescription. The symbol "Rx" is usually said to stand for the Latin word "recipe" meaning "to take." It is customarily part of the superscription (heading) of a prescription.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Go to your Dr. or hospital and tell them / show them what you take and 

possibly the have an alternate or can order for you... I asked the hospital 

if they have generic for heart medicine I take... they can order and took a

couple days... 

Drugs available from an independent pharmacy are normally much cheaper than those provided by hospital so actual buying might be better at drug store.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Drugs available from an independent pharmacy are normally much cheaper than those provided by hospital so actual buying might be better at drug store.

go to a govt hospital and register ,drugs there much cheaper than even the pharmacy .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

go to a govt hospital and register ,drugs there much cheaper than even the pharmacy .

You do not obtain drugs from a government hospital without using the system and a government doctor ordering.  So yes price is good but waits and red tape maybe not what one wants and the medicine will be the doctors choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Thanks, chances to getting an answer are bigger if not using so many shortenings here that not all of us understands.

DJ54 - 

"I asked the hospital 

if they have generic for heart medicine I take...".

Who at the hospital did you ask?

Did you go directly to the pharmacy, or did you have to pay for a doctor appointment first (which has always been my experience)?

Edited by JimmyJ

16 hours ago, VBF said:

Slightly :offtopic: but for that problem which I also used to get, have you tried Magesto-F?

Consists mainly of Aluminium and Magnesium and although can help reduce the acid effect of acid already produced in the stomach, it does not act like a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) in restricting the acid made.

And Nexium is the most expensive PPI available, however I and others I know fare very well on Omeprazole (a PPI)) which is readily available here and is extremely cheap.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:07 PM, aixois said:

Personally, I would never buy medicine on the internet. Most are fake and can even be dangerous.
When I go to Thailand, I bring medicine in my suitcase. And it's free in France.

Somewhat difficult to travel to & from at present. Until travel restrictions are lifted & international flights are back to somewhere resembling normal, I feel your comment is pretty pointless.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:11 AM, xylophone said:

And Nexium is the most expensive PPI available, however I and others I know fare very well on Omeprazole (a PPI)) which is readily available here and is extremely cheap.

Nexium is just Omeprazole, changed a little bit when the patent ran out to keep the revenue flowing in.  Even Nexium is available as a generic now for the same price as Omeprazole in the USA.

I always had good luck with Miracid brand of Omeprazole in Thailand.  Some of the other brands seemed to be hit and miss.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Nexium is just Omeprazole, changed a little bit when the patent ran out to keep the revenue flowing in.  Even Nexium is available as a generic now for the same price as Omeprazole in the USA.

I always had good luck with Miracid brand of Omeprazole in Thailand.  Some of the other brands seemed to be hit and miss.

I use Moprix as a substitute for Omeprazole.

13 hours ago, impulse said:

Yes I remember the furore around this because the molecular structure change was so minimal that they were accused of a rort to keep the PPI on patent and thereby maintain their revenue.

However the FDA accepted that it was a different drug, hence the huge price for it........so pleased to hear that it  is available in generic form now, and I don't use Omeprazole (or any PPI) these days, but did buy it for a friend who was wheelchair-bound and he was ok with the cheap version