Covid-19 'may claim 5 million lives' by year-end

rooster59

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Does everything this man says get published in the press? Is he Thailand's only expert virologist as whenever I see a headline like this I see his picture.

Yes and yes.He's the company's man of the moment and would be heavily invested in the vaccine program I would imagine and is rustling up potential customers.

• Like 2

With the brain cells put to waste in the West, that's actually possible.

I just saw invite from my birth country where people are calling for intentional ignoring of social distancing and mask wearing in closed spaces, because "virus doesn't exist" and it is their "constitutional right" not to wear mask, and if they have to pay a fine, "fines are unconstitutional" which they promise they'll get refunded. They plan "spontaneous" no-mask wearing at major shopping centres, hospitals, retirement homes, kindergartens, schools, public transport... What I saw were screenshots from Facebook Live session but with names covered up.

Interestingly, forums there are full of conspiracy theories about some chip planting in your brain, and all this virus being a Worldwide conspiracy to control people, etc. A bit of googling showed they say the same about HIV - that HIV doesn't exist, tests are just some random <deleted> that don't actually detect anything, and that apparently even guy who invented it (imagine - there's a guy who claims to have INVENTED the virus!) even claims nobody has ever died of a virus. A bit of a contradiction to a paragraph earlier where it said virus didn't exist.

But the point is - with this kind of attitude, with numbers growing out of proportion in many parts of the World... this could get bad really quickly. Right now, majority of people infected in Europe are in 15-25 years age group. Generally these will just have a mild cold or no symptoms at all. But what happens when they start, with intentional discarding of prevention measures, infecting those in high risk groups? Then the numbers mentioned by virologist no longer look so unbelievable.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Sometimes logic and numbers don't always equate. 

Last week the world Covid-19 infected cases hit 20 million. 

From Jan 2020 to July, in 6 months, there were 10 million cases, but it DOUBLED to 20 million cases 6 weeks later. 

Where will we be by year's end? If it doubles every 6 weeks, 4 weeks, 2 weeks, one week.. Anyone's guess.. 

It may indeed, however i wonder how many of them will be from starvation, suicides(depression,etc), common flu(blag),murder(killing people for money to buy food etc),i could go on....it's a joke this, never been so embarrassed with the wet lettuce-ness of human beings (not all obviously).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Siamjim said:

while Thais killing each other on the road daily more than the total country's C19 deaths

Covid-19, the grand theatre and drama in Thailand! Thais need such dramas as much as they need their daily soap operas in TV. No common sense in this country of lies and propaganda.

Sad for us who love this country.

• Like 1

Anybody living near temples that do cremations heard any major increase in Boom- Boom-Boom in the mornings or afternoons?

There would have to be a noticeable increase in this if Thailand is fudging the statistics, would there not?

Any comments on this? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oompie69 said:

Anybody living near temples that do cremations heard any major increase in Boom- Boom-Boom in the mornings or afternoons?

There would have to be a noticeable increase in this if Thailand is fudging the statistics, would there not?

Any comments on this? 

Thailand is as good or as bad as most other well performing countries, let's say in Europe, or let's say like Malaysia, Vietnam, Japan, South Korea....

What do you expect regarding boom-boom-boom with 5-10 additionaly deaths per day, in the whole country, as they have in Europe right now?

Do you really mean in Europe the crematories are overwhelmed with 5-10 additional deaths per day in a country, in countries with 50 to 80 million people like Italy, Germany, Poland, UK?

Covid-19, the grand theatre and drama in Thailand!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

Death rate floating at around 5/6000 a day that would be about 720000 for the rest of the year 1.5 million total unless the rate goes up 600% he will be wrong. By the way Australia counts anybody who is Covid positive as a death, even the many in palliative care. Ie the medical profession has already decided not to treat them as they will die shortly, then they get Covid, that is a Covid death

The current Johns Hopkins chart I'm seeing for world CV daily deaths isn't showing any exponential growth in CV deaths over time... it's been pretty much bouncing along at relatively consistent levels, as you mentioned, for some time.

Unless something drastically changes in the months ahead, I don't see the "official" death count getting anywhere close to the OP's 5 million figure. On the other hand, there's lots of opinions out there that worldwide deaths are being undercounted, significantly in some places, because countries don't want to admit they're having any (or much of any) problem.

1906279917_WorldCVDeathsChart.jpg.46438e66d8503b69a0c8cf171301d505.jpg

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The cumulative deaths chart seems to show about 650,000 total deaths over the past four months. If that volume continued over the coming 4 months thru the end of the calendar year (assuming little to no growth rate), we'd end up right around your 1.5 million projection.

Screenshot_10.jpg.4e85b4f2e365825af3fbbe4037dfe9bd.jpg

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I've seen one MIT estimate that says the worldwide tally of CV deaths may be 50% higher than the official tally. But that still wouldn't seem to get things anywhere near 5 million.

A 57-page research paper from researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology claims the real number of coronavirus cases worldwide is nearly 12 times higher than officially reported — with approximately 50% more deaths.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/07/02/actual-number-of-coronavirus-deaths-is-likely-far-higher-than-official-tally-studies-suggest/

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3635047

Estimating COVID-19 Under-Reporting Across 86 Nations: Implications for Projections and Control

COVID-19 prevalence and mortality remain uncertain. For all 86 countries with reliable testing data we estimate how asymptomatic transmission, disease acuity, hospitalization, and behavioral responses to risk shape pandemic dynamics. Estimated cumulative cases and deaths through 10 July 2020 are 10.5 and 1.47 times official reports, yielding an infection fatality rate (IFR) of 0.65%, with wide variation across nations. Despite underestimation, herd immunity remains distant.

Sufficient early testing could have averted 39.7 (35.3-45.3) million cases and 218 (191-257) thousand deaths. Responses to perceived risk cause the reproduction number to settle near 1, but with very different steady-state incidence, while some nations experience endogenous rebounds. Scenarios through March 2021 show modest enhancements in responsiveness could reduce cumulative cases ≈80%, to 271 (254-412) million across these nations.

The 1.47 times CV deaths compared to official reports mentioned in the abstract is where the "approximately 50%" reference above comes from.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

Death rate floating at around 5/6000 a day that would be about 720000 for the rest of the year 1.5 million total unless the rate goes up 600% he will be wrong. By the way Australia counts anybody who is Covid positive as a death, even the many in palliative care. Ie the medical profession has already decided not to treat them as they will die shortly, then they get Covid, that is a Covid death

I had a feeling he was talking out of his bottom...