Pattaya: FIVE YEARS until tourism is back to previous levels, says tourism leader

webfact

On 8/25/2020 at 6:30 AM, bkk6060 said:

Nobody truly knows what is going to happen, but I have been surprised by all the closed, for sale, for rent, gutted businesses occurring so soon.  I guess many business owners are anticipating the very long road ahead.

Actually not any surprise as the majority of the small business owners rent their premises and the monthly rent continue with or without tourists so what other choice do they have ...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Actually not any surprise as the majority of the small business owners rent their premises and the monthly rent continue with or without tourists so what other choice do they have ...

Especially when their Thai landlord refuses to lower the rent.  That means it's game over.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, sahibji said:

why this pessimism. should not take so long for tourism to recover.

Because the more you wait , the less attractive Pattaya becomes. Less bars , less activities  implies even less Tourism.

Pattaya is not frozen forever in the same condition untill tourist come. Like a dead body stuffs are falling apart

You need to allow some time for the tree to grow back to its former height when its has been decimated by fire

Edited by bodymassagemyfriend

On 8/25/2020 at 8:28 AM, sahibji said:

why this pessimism. should not take so long for tourism to recover.

As the previous poster states, there's not much to come back to.

This is also a global phenomenon and your mass target tourist audience don't have available cash for such exotic locations then Thai tourism is screwed for some considerable time to come.  

And, the worst is yet to come. ????

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 5:34 PM, Garbol56 said:

If TAT wants tourism to return to the previous numbers first of all the Thai authorities need to have a massive change of attitude towards expats who wish to live in Thailand but with the current xenophobic government this will not happen any time soon.

A post that got likes yet makes no sense. Why would Thai government care about expats? 

On 8/25/2020 at 5:41 PM, agood1963 said:

Keep dreaming they will never be back to the same levels as before Thailand as become to expensive people are heading elsewhere . Tourists are not interested in the land of smiles anymore .

every emporium has its rise and fall. thai sex tourism had its heydays in 80s to 2000s and it just ended. this may or may not have much to do with attitudes towards the foreigners but cheap sex has become a thing of the past in almost any country now, not just in Pats. Maybe the whole industry is changing..who knows! beginning of the year, relatively attractive ones(not "dogs")on filipina dating sites  were asking $200 for a "st" or even per hour ..the unavoidable and dreaded question comes to mind.. "what's the world coming to!?"

Edited by pattayadude

On 8/25/2020 at 10:52 AM, sanuk711 said:

Exactly........ another guy pops up with a number & with nothing to substantiate it----

Exactly. 

It would be interesting if he could break those figures down into demographics. 

I think Western pensioners will be roaring back in with similar numbers as before, as soon as they're allowed. So where will the missing millions be? I think Indian families will take the biggest hit, be interesting to see who fares better between the Russians and Chinese. 

On 8/25/2020 at 11:32 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

you too makes the assumption that the ai farang are the carriers and spreaders of the virus among clean and pure thai.

Why didn't you tell Mr American2 that the word is quarantine. Or at least qusrsntine. 

On 8/25/2020 at 3:54 PM, Flying Saucage said:

Exactly my thoughts.

And, btw., Turkey is so similar to Thailand in many aspects. Similar number of people, similar grade of development, similar dependence on foreign investment and money, similar sh1tty political situation, similar issues regarding democracy, human rights and freedom of speech. Only regarding the opening of the borders, they are completely the opposite of Thailand. 

turkey targets muslim tourists over western tourists and their hotels have pools for mussys with their clothes on to swim in and do their washing at the same time and  no whiteys allowed in the same pool

• Like 1

Global losses haven't been realised yet. Banks, insurance companies, all but very large corporations are already bust, if you add up their debts. 

People won't be worrying about international tourism when the jobs implosion starts in earnest.

Thailand will be in a relatively good position compared to western countries as Thailand can feed itself. The old economy is gone. People's savings are gone. A new economy will have to be built from scratch.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 10:01 AM, pattayadude said:

every emporium has its rise and fall. thai sex tourism had its heydays in 80s to 2000s and it just ended. this may or may not have much to do with attitudes towards the foreigners but cheap sex has become a thing of the past in almost any country now, not just in Pats. Maybe the whole industry is changing..who knows! beginning of the year, relatively attractive ones(not "dogs")on filipina dating sites  were asking $200 for a "st" or even per hour ..the unavoidable and dreaded question comes to mind.. "what's the world coming to!?"

How much ,you mean its not 500 baht all night still ,or 150baht short time ,gosh ive been out of the game to long .????

On 8/28/2020 at 10:01 AM, nemo38 said:

Global losses haven't been realised yet. Banks, insurance companies, all but very large corporations are already bust, if you add up their debts. 

People won't be worrying about international tourism when the jobs implosion starts in earnest.

Thailand will be in a relatively good position compared to western countries as Thailand can feed itself. The old economy is gone. People's savings are gone. A new economy will have to be built from scratch.

i agree, but I think the global agriculture sector, including supply chain, will not collapse.  

I think in the near future we will see how Thailand placed too many eggs in the tourism basket, for too long, with many Thai people paying the price.  

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 11:47 PM, Jingthing said:

Yeah but with what revenue now? 

I lived there and left.  Was going to go back but they decided I'd have to put $25K in a Thai bank.  Ain't happening.  And...there is actually better places.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joebuzz said:

I lived there and left.  Was going to go back but they decided I'd have to put $25K in a Thai bank.  Ain't happening.  And...there is actually better places.

You could use an agent.

What are some better places?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think in the near future we will see how Thailand placed too many eggs in the tourism basket, for too long, with many Thai people paying the price. 

And perhaps learn a lesson not to be so dependent on outside sources and change their ways... probably not though, easy money is so attractive.

On 8/25/2020 at 5:14 PM, JusticeGB said:

Just hope that Pattaya uses that time to upgrade its flooding and sewerage problems yet alone solve the annual shortage of water.

Lets look on the bright side- there won't be a water shortage now. Unfortunately that will ensure that nothing is done to prepare for when the horde returns. The shower bureaucrats apparently have no concept of preventative maintenance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wonder if all those so keen on lockdowns will be so enthusiastic when their taxes go up to pay for it.

I don't think there is a soul anywhere happy about the lockdowns. as far as taxes..of course they will be raised and people have to pay..but with what? crime will definitely be out of control soon if not already happening

Edited by pattayadude
  • Thanks 1

Such nonsense. There is already a vaccine in China since July, they have probably vaccinated 100k's people by now. Other vaccines are coming. Research suggested that a vaccines will work because of the body's nature immune function against covid.

Vaccines will be available widely by next year, then tourist will skyrocket. Maybe people will have less money and travel less but it won't be bad.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pattayadude said:

I don't think there is a soul anywhere happy about the lockdowns. as far as taxes..of course they will be raised and people have to pay..but with what? crime will definitely be out of control soon if not already happening

I don't think there is a soul anywhere happy about the lockdowns

LOL. NZ government loves lockdown. They locked down the biggest city in NZ ( again ) for a few cases.