"Foreign tourists won't come if confined to their room for 14 days" but keeping them at resorts is OK, Pipat

webfact

Its looking like mid December to early next year reopening. This scheme won't get the amount of tourist they want and need. 

This is how the scheme should work.

-You test pre arrival 

-Test on arrival. 

-Tourist must stay in one of the approved hotels or resorts.

- if phuket is going to be the test zone then tourist have to stay in phuket for 14 days. Test one more time for anyone who wants to leave phuket. While traveling around thailand you must agree to one more test on day 21 or so.

This is in the end what it will probably come down to. 

Its a very tough decision for them to make. Not as easy as it looks. 

Think about it like this. If you come to phuket for 2 week vacation. Agreeing to all testing measures and insurance with no quarantine. Alot of people will come. But if you have to test on day during your trip or to even get back home what if you get covid. They won't let you on a plane to go home. You will be stuck in a hospital for weeks.

They are dam if they do or don't here.

If they stick with the quarantine, they need to add more asq and eliminate that  extra 7 day quarantine. And give 90day visas. 

Unfortunately, what people came to Thailand for has all closed down, restaurants, bars, local attractions..apart from a few unmarried non elite and working people that have property or a partner here, it won't appeal to anyone...wonder what the prices of these resorts will be, not to mention most resorts beer and food are extoriante...just ain't gonna happen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

Well, I did read your post.   There are about 3 above expressing same thoughts.  

The end result of all this after all the dust settles is Thailand will cease to be a retirement destination.  As many people are experiencing the frustration of spending millions of baht in condos, cars, bikes, etc and being locked out of the country changes will be made.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  And worse part is there is no end in sight to this debacle.  

There are going to be huge bargins on everything as expats  liquidate to set up in other countries just as soon as travel opens up.  Would be good time to have cash on hand......

At last someone able to see that it's better to leave Thailand than stay but keep complaining so much.

Edited by Acrylic

19 hours ago, Hayduke said:

It’s really astonishing how little this “Thailand is the center of the universe” Tourism “Minister” knows about tourists.

Typical of Thailand’s autocrats, he seems to think that foreigners will be happy to blindly swallow  government stupidity…the same way Thai people blindly swallow government stupidity.

He can’t seem to wrap his head around the fact that…foreigners actually have a choice in the matter.

Your first paragraph. This tourism minister probably graduated from military academy like the rest of the soldiers in the Thai unelected "government". Knows nothing about tourism or running a country.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

So sick of this rubbish. I spent 6 million baht on a condo and I spend at least 100,000 baht a month in the 6 months I used to stay in Thailand per year. 

But I won't be blackmailed into a Phuket resort for 3 weeks just to get back there. Thailand I will see you again when I might be able to sell my condo and never come back

Thailand has shown such a lack of respect for us property owners and long stayers, I'm done while they focus on fantasy tourist bubbles

The Thai "government" cabinet meeting. Quick MARCH, left right, left right. left right. About TURN!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can smell the desperation oozing from my screen.

The patient is dead.

Time to proceed through the stages of grief.

Not sure if they're still in denial, or are on to bargaining?

Given all the loopy ideas floated so far, maybe they haven't really even acknowleged the death?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The plan at present is to have 14 days quarantine in resorts before a further period of 7 days when Covid-19 tests would be carried out and tourists would be allowed to move around the province. 

and the people working there, also in quarantine ??? otherwise, what is the use ?

• Like 1

AGAIN

STOP WITH THE BS CENSORSHIP PLEASE. 

thailand now has become a joke.  

Thai authorities are treating foreigner with utter arrogance. 

What idiot would be willing to pay first 21 days in forced isolation.  

Thailand has become a joke.  Avoid Thailand altogether is my suggestion.  

11 minutes ago, Vicki Coghlan said:

Another reason to avoid Thailand.  Typical racist Thai authorities pushing there BS NWO agenda.  Thailand is now becoming a joke. Avoid Thailand is my suggestion.  

What do you mean Thailand's becoming a joke?I thought that fact was well established in 2014.Remember the law that said coups were illegal?Pretty funny eh!

Edited by FarFlungFalang

5 minutes ago, Vicki Coghlan said:

AGAIN

No question about the way foreigners are being treated but calling people who would go through this process to be with their families or business or other legitimate reasons "idiots" only makes you look like one so maybe take a deep breath and try to refrain from calling people you don't know anything about names.

• Like 1

Before I moved here, I would come for 2 to 3 months at a time.

I would have done the 2 weeks no problem because I liked coming here.

And, I know guys (single older males) that are out of the country now who come for several months who would do the 2 weeks.

So, it will be interesting to see who and how many come.  I think more will then some think.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

It's in the news here in Denmark, but travel agencies don't expect a lot of people will take that offer.

Instead the expect that skiing holidays will boom this winter in Europe instead.

I guess it all comes down to how much people miss the sun and how long their vacation is.

If you're doing 3 months in Thailand, it could be doable with 14 days in a resort, but not the best option.

I wonder how the locals at the resorts are welcoming this offer. They have to do quarantine and corona tests, if they leave the area where tourists are allowed, according to the article in the news.

Personally i'm not travelling across the globe to beeing imprisoned at a resort or at the best, have a stretch of beach to walk on.

If i wanted to beeing imprisoned at a resort, i would choose to go to Madeira or the Canary islands on one of the all so popular all inclusive deals.

6 minutes ago, Virt said:

It's in the news here in Denmark, but travel agencies don't expect a lot of people will take that offer.

Instead the expect that skiing holidays will boom this winter in Europe instead.

I guess it all comes down to how much people miss the sun and how long their vacation is.

If you're doing 3 months in Thailand, it could be doable with 14 days in a resort, but not the best option.

I wonder how the locals at the resorts are welcoming this offer. They have to do quarantine and corona tests, if they leave the area where tourists are allowed, according to the article in the news.

Personally i'm not travelling across the globe to beeing imprisoned at a resort or at the best, have a stretch of beach to walk on.

If i wanted to beeing imprisoned at a resort, i would choose to go to Madeira or the Canary islands on one of the all so popular all inclusive deals.

You do understand that this is not going to happen... TAT/Phuket governor wet dreaming about tourist arrivals.

Go skiing..... Thailand is not an option.

2 hours ago, Vicki Coghlan said:

AGAIN

STOP with the capitals.

Simple....... don't come.  Foreign tourists are not wanted/needed...................... let it sink in.

The Chinese will be first back.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, webfact said:

But he thought that if foreign tourists were holed up in their resorts for two weeks they would be happy with that.

OMG... where they found these people with such clever ideas 555

I suspect that Pipa or his family own a resort in Phuket

What if there is an outbreak of Covid at one of these 'approved' resorts?  They will become prison camps, with no medical facilities.

What about Thai staff at these Resorts?  If there is a case of Covid, they will carry it into the population.  Or will they be imprisoned with the tourists?

it would be interesting to know which groups spend most per head when in Thailand.

Asian Tour groups?

Individual Asians?

Caucasians?

Back-packers?

Expats on long-term visas?

I do not think that any Thai Government ministers have any idea what to do.  They just know that tourists are needed to get the Thai economy moving again, so keep coming up with daft ideas, in the hope that one might catch on.

Politicians have to be seen to be doing something but Foreign tourism in Thailand is basically finished until there is quick cure for Covid AND a vaccine is available and has been given to all nationals that want to visit Thailand.  This will cause a lot of pain for those in the tourist industry and it will cause a huge hit to the economy but Thailand will survive - its not the end of the world.

1 minute ago, dcms said:

Politicians have to be seen to be doing something but Foreign tourism in Thailand is basically finished until there is quick cure for Covid AND a vaccine is available and has been given to all nationals that want to visit Thailand.  This will cause a lot of pain for those in the tourist industry and it will cause a huge hit to the economy but Thailand will survive - its not the end of the world.

Like the common cold there is no cure for a virus only medication to ease the symptoms therefore a vaccine is the only solution.

9 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Domestic tourism doesn't add any money to the government coffers it simply moves the money from one pocket to another, while enriching hotel and resort owners. 

All tourists pay VAT tax..