Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

On 8/26/2020 at 10:44 PM, Pilotman said:

'better times'? it's never been better here in LOS and in Pattaya in particular. Very pleasant place now it's not maxed out with people. 

I cannot understand how you guy's like a place that is dead, there are no tourists, no clubs, no ladies, I mean that was the attraction, not a dormant convent, still each to their own I suppose.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Polaky said:

I cannot understand how you guy's like a place that is dead, there are no tourists, no clubs, no ladies, I mean that was the attraction, not a dormant convent, still each to their own I suppose.

Not sure what rabbit hole you are looking in, ladies and clubs aplenty in Jomtien and Ban Chang

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2020 at 9:51 AM, Henryford said:

I am hetro and am attracted to ladyboys. They are (in general) more attractive than girls, better figures, better dressed, more attentive. I am willing to overlook the odd drawback.

Curious if you are a shirt lifter or pillow bitter, honestly just curious

7 hours ago, kinyara said:

If you're happy with living here the fact that others are choosing to throw the towel in now has its benefits. Fewer one year visas being issued will hopefully lessen the prospect of any significant restriction or change to the requirements on that front for the forseeable future, especially if the level of tourism recovery is going to pan out as long as some govt ministers or official bodies suggest.

I'm personally hoping for another decade of easy living here at which point I'll return to my native country for what I regard as better healthcare treatment if required. The best laid plans and all that.... 

Few foreigners means you are that much more likely to be extorted.  Thais raise prices, when business is down.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

Not sure what rabbit hole you are looking in, ladies and clubs aplenty in Jomtien and Ban Chang

I am sure simpletons still enjoy it, however I do not consider it a great place for a holiday in it's present state, many are married to Thai's and have little choice but to stay there and wear the virus out, except for accommodation it is expensive to live there, the excise on a bottle of scotch is through the roof, things like butter, milk, and you cannot find a decent loaf of bread that is affordable anywhere, chicken is cheap but don't move to the salmon Isle, many items you just cannot get there that is plentiful in other countries, They do have exotic fruits though, still as I said each to their own, I would rather be in Egypt atm but cannot leave same as op.  

3 hours ago, moontang said:

Few foreigners means you are that much more likely to be extorted.  Thais raise prices, when business is down.

There was a thread a while back when Covid started expressing the extortion worry, it died a death fairly quickly probably because no one was able to produce any first hand evidence to support that theory. I still think the police have been less visible with no tourists around. 

The deals currently available on hotels around Thailand don't support the price rise theory either. Got a great deal myself in Bangkok the other week and where I go regularly shopping the outlets were prepared to give me discounts to a level they've never offered before. Urban myth. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moontang said:

No, that's merely part of the TVF catechism. They may or may not raise prices, depending, and may have rational reasons for doing so. Western-owned businesses may do the same, BTW. On the contrary, I've found a number of discounts around town and my patronage even seems a bit more appreciated than before.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I don't eat bread, and most expats obviously eat far too much of it. I have several salmon steaks weekly, thank you; in fact,

Salmon multiple times a week is pretty bad for your health, as a big fish it has a high concentration of heavy metals... I suggest mixing it up with some smaller fishes, perhaps ones containing omega 3, excellent for the brain. I do agree that farang (although it's getting more and more popular among thais as well, hence the amount of fatties going about) eat way too much bread.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 7:06 PM, samtab said:

Thank you to all people who are leaving, we are ready to buy your property as cheap as possible !

Yes, I will buy Talay 6 price negotiable.

9 hours ago, Polaky said:

I am sure simpletons still enjoy it, however I do not consider it a great place for a holiday in it's present state, many are married to Thai's and have little choice but to stay there and wear the virus out, except for accommodation it is expensive to live there, the excise on a bottle of scotch is through the roof, things like butter, milk, and you cannot find a decent loaf of bread that is affordable anywhere, chicken is cheap but don't move to the salmon Isle, many items you just cannot get there that is plentiful in other countries, They do have exotic fruits though, still as I said each to their own, I would rather be in Egypt atm but cannot leave same as op.  

If booze is too expensive give it up, if don't like Thai bread eat rice etc etc etc. If you insist on a western style life I don't know why you were in LOS in the first place

BTW I and millions of Thais ate chicken all the time and never got sick from it. Don't know what you are on about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kinyara said:

There was a thread a while back when Covid started expressing the extortion worry, it died a death fairly quickly probably because no one was able to produce any first hand evidence to support that theory. I still think the police have been less visible with no tourists around. 

The deals currently available on hotels around Thailand don't support the price rise theory either. Got a great deal myself in Bangkok the other week and where I go regularly shopping the outlets were prepared to give me discounts to a level they've never offered before. Urban myth. 

Scooters on soi 6 raised beer prices to 90 baht, it's now closed. As for police the last few months they've mostly stopped pulling over farang, they've definitely been told to back off

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Scooters on soi 6 raised beer prices to 90 baht, it's now closed. As for police the last few months they've mostly stopped pulling over farang, they've definitely been told to back off.

I noticed that as well. I haven't seen a single "check point" in at least a month. Doesn't mean they aren't doing them, I just travel the roads where they usually occur and they aren't there for now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Polaky said:

and you cannot find a decent loaf of bread that is affordable anywhere

Bakery just up the road from me makes great bread, nice thick 1inch slices too and at Bt.40.00 a loaf I don't find that to be expensive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, johng said:
13 hours ago, Polaky said:

you cannot find a decent loaf of bread that is affordable anywhere,

Have a look in "Friendship"  and "Foodmart" supermarkets

Some people will whinge even if you hang them with a shiny new rope.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Scooters on soi 6 raised beer prices to 90 baht, it's now closed. As for police the last few months they've mostly stopped pulling over farang, they've definitely been told to back off

Scooters Soi 6 is owned by an Englishman and they were operating an extended all day happy hour of 60 baht on beer since they reopened up to closure. Didn't save them from the lack of custom on that street unfortunately. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Scooters Soi 6 is owned by an Englishman and they were operating an extended all day happy hour of 60 baht on beer since they reopened up to closure. Didn't save them from the lack of custom on that street unfortunately. 

Nah i was there a few weeks ago and bottled beer was 90 baht around 9pmish, he probably realized it wasn't working and switched to 60 baht

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nah i was there a few weeks ago and bottled beer was 90 baht around 9pmish, he probably realized it wasn't working and switched to 60 baht

I think it just goes to show that even if you do reduce your prices, Thai or Farang, when there are so few customers around it may maake an insignificant difference to your takings. Only place I used on the Soi. 

• Like 1