Protesters keep eagle eye out for celebs who supported 2014 coup

webfact

Just now, Sujo said:

Good, i hope they keep up the pressure on celebrities that endorse the illegal coup and subsequent amnesty.

Well, coup did stop the daily killings. At least for those living in Bangkok...

Not saying anything about years that followed, just commenting on situation just before the coup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Why bringing up who supported who 6 years ago... Are we going to bring up who's grandparents supported who during 2nd World War next?

Why bring it up?

Hmmmmm...I don't know...maybe it has something to do with what is at the center of the protests!

The current government, who came to power in a coup and robbed the country of that shred of democracy, it once had!?

And if people were supporting the coup and what followed, even more so by causally mentioning the coup- opponents should have been shot...one might say, they had it coming!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Targeting TV personalities seems daft to me - not exactly going to change their current clowns is it

Well ... seeing that two have been fired and food panda and others are reconsidering the partnership with minor food group, a supporter of the Junta, I'd say it is having some positive affect. Money talks and if advertisers start to pull the money from shows, and people stop eating pizza comapny folks will start to listen. For a reference see also any number of American idiots, shows, and businesses who've run afowl of the boycotters. 

• Like 1

I wonder how many protesters experienced the last two Thai coups in 2006 and 2014 and the 2010 red-shirt demonstrations as adults, or at least interested teenagers.

It was all about Thaksin and the coups happened because he was so greedy and wanted more and more power.

I am sure many Thais didn't really like the idea of a coup but for many at that time it was the smaller problem.

The big problem Thaksin was exchanged with the smaller problem military government.

Was that good? No. But for many it was a lot better than Thaksin.

Unfortunately the reporting about those events, i.e. at the BBC, was bad. And obviously Thaksin tried to bend history as much as he could.

I wonder how many of the current protesters know the history of what really happened.

Personally I don't care about celebrities. But lets be fair here. Looking back and saying something like "a coup is always bad" does not really cover the whole picture in Thailand...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1