Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Tyres

Just some follow up on my Michelin Sporty that I got last month or so - 2,100b for the set. Bloody brilliant they are. Was riding for two hours through torrential rain a few days ago and had it pinned the whole way with complete confidence in them. Never had a pair of tyres that stick to road like them before.

Plus I had the rear (and front) suspension lowered which also made a big difference in how the bike feels.... Glued to the road it was, at 100-120kph going headfirst into hours of torrential rain.

Would recommend them in a heartbeat.

Hello Thomo, thanks for the post update. I feel the same way about the Dunlop tyres I put on my bike recently. They work well in dry and wet conditions, even in torrential rain. There is no aquaplanning or sliding at all. Ok I am a big guy and my tyre pressures are 2.7 bar in front and 3.0 bar at the rear.

From the post on tyres, I think I can say that most of us agree the IRC tyres are no good in wet or dry and the rubber compound is way too hard. The rider is supposed to outlive the life of the tyres, not the other way around.

New point for discussion is, why do so many people spend so much money on aftermarket accessories ? Yet will not spend the same amount of money on protective clothing and helmets, to protect themselves ? Your answers will be most welcome ?

Ride with care and live.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Thomo, thanks for the post update. I feel the same way about the Dunlop tyres I put on my bike recently. They work well in dry and wet conditions, even in torrential rain. There is no aquaplanning or sliding at all. Ok I am a big guy and my tyre pressures are 2.7 bar in front and 3.0 bar at the rear.

From the post on tyres, I think I can say that most of us agree the IRC tyres are no good in wet or dry and the rubber compound is way too hard. The rider is supposed to outlive the life of the tyres, not the other way around.

New point for discussion is, why do so many people spend so much money on aftermarket accessories ? Yet will not spend the same amount of money on protective clothing and helmets, to protect themselves ? Your answers will be most welcome ?

Ride with care and live.

Not all of us. I ride with an HJC carbon fibre helmet, Joe Rocket mesh (top and bottom) when hot or switch out to my AGV leather jacket when cool. Discreet motorcycle boots and decent mesh gloves complete the outfit. While I haven't taken but one spill on the CBR (and that was at a track), I have on the Ninja and the gear perfomed admirably......

I agree that it makes perfectly good sense to dress with adequate protective gear. On the other hand, it's hotter than being in an oven here---therefore the shorts and sandals. I do make sure I always wear a decent helmet though.

Tyres

Just some follow up on my Michelin Sporty that I got last month or so - 2,100b for the set. Bloody brilliant they are. Was riding for two hours through torrential rain a few days ago and had it pinned the whole way with complete confidence in them. Never had a pair of tyres that stick to road like them before.

Plus I had the rear (and front) suspension lowered which also made a big difference in how the bike feels.... Glued to the road it was, at 100-120kph going headfirst into hours of torrential rain.

Would recommend them in a heartbeat.

Ride with care and live.

Ride with care and live.

At 32,000km my rear IRC was down to the wear strip, time to change. I put on a set of Pirellis one size larger. They definately appear to be better in the wet, and much better directional stability than the IRC. I came close a few times losing the IRC in cornering, where I havent with the Pirellis.

However, one consideration is that from previous posts it seems the life of the stickier tyres is 6000 to 8000km....and seems to be backed up by the wear on my pirellis.......... that means new tyres every 2 months for me........makes them far more expensive needing 4 sets to equal the IRC lifespan.

re your point about people buying "goodies" but not safety gear......most people think accidents happens to others...never themselves!! Your signiture line "Ride with care and live" is your best safety gear.

While my gear is not top shelf stuff it is far better than 99% of riders I see. Hard leather shoes, heavy denim jeans, padded jacket, proper bike gloves, and good full face helmet. (Even for a short trip)

Over the last few months, I have spent time in an A & E hospital waiting room ......seeing the obviously unprotected (bare skin) injuries from motorbike crashes coming in makes me very aware of what happens!! And the majority will be low speed town crashes...not high speed stuff. A stint in an A & E room should be manditrory education for all bike riders!!

• 2 weeks later...

So quiet on the CBR-150 thread just like the roads.....I've been up north a bit several times over the past several weeks and no big bikes on the road at all. Just step-throughs, loansharks on their CBR-150's, and me. It's been wet though.

Ok T-dog let's talk carbs.

I am going to get some work done on my CBR and I was thinking I might change the carb, but here's the thing; I don't know much about it.

Can I just get different jets and run them in the stock carb, or do I need to get a new carb. if only jets, then which ones, and if new carb then which one.

I know this has been discussed a lot, but I think by now there might be some consensus.

Also does the timing chain need to be replaced after 35,000k

Thanks

Ok T-dog let's talk carbs.

I am going to get some work done on my CBR and I was thinking I might change the carb, but here's the thing; I don't know much about it.

Can I just get different jets and run them in the stock carb, or do I need to get a new carb. if only jets, then which ones, and if new carb then which one.

I know this has been discussed a lot, but I think by now there might be some consensus.

Also does the timing chain need to be replaced after 35,000k

Thanks

I've changed carbs on bikes and trucks in the past and I was never happy with any of those conversions as drivability, starting, improper accelerator pump operation, or something always got screwed up. I'm a stock carb man after a few negative experiences. The stock CBR-150 carb can be re-jetted and my mechanic did that for me once he dialed in my driving style. I want power when I am up in the mountains (usually 2-up with the FNU) so he leaned me out and it made a world of difference.

Not sure about when to change the cam chain. I know my chain-tensioner locked-up at 25,000 km so now you got me worried about the chain! I'll see if its covered in my maintenance manual.

A Honda mechanic told me 35,000 on cam chain but I don't like to take one Somchai's advice.

How do I ask for re-jetting? will they do it at a Honda shop?

I had mine done at the Honda shop on Huay Gaew Road. There is a very experienced CBR-150 mechanic there and he has tuned bikes of friends as well. Haven't heard any complaints. I had my wife explain to him that I wanted it leaner for running up at 1000 meters or higher. He took a shot at it and seemed to hit it well. Most people want just the minimum work done so you have to be clear to him that you want more performance.

Hi, I tried installing an aftermarket ignition coil manufactured in Thailand on a Cbr125 08 fuel injection model and it does not work. On my stock coil, there are 2 male pins while the aftermarket one has only one. Is there anyway to get the coil to work or a different type of coil is needed for fuel injection bikes? Attached is a pic of the aftermarket coil.

post-92086-024694300 1283483774_thumb.jp

I've sent two follow up emails to Honda in regards to the CBR 150, after the initial response I got that said a "new model will be out soon" in an effort to find out if it's going to be a "new model" CBR 150, or something else. No reply so far. Someone said they saw the dimensions for the replacement, and someone else said those are the dimensions for the VTR 250.

The original VTR 205 was a good looking bike. However, in Generation II they did away with the faring and now, at least to me, it looks more like the 2500cc Tiger Boxer. So if it IS the VTR 250 they're coming out with, I hope it's more along the lines of the first ones.

post-82655-053880400 1283486633_thumb.jp

post-82655-065500300 1283486780_thumb.jp

Hi all!

Just registered and joined today as i am looking to buy a CBR 150, I've been reading this forum non registered for about 2 months now.

I am living in Phuket and have found a 2nd hand CBR 150 at a Honda dealership in Phuket town. It has 5000kms on it and has been dumped at least twice, they tried to tell me it had only been crashed once, but after inspecting the bike thoroughly i am certain it's been dumped at least twice. When i mentioned this, they then told me that they were not sure how many times it has been been crashed/dumped.. (fricken liars):realangry:.

There is damage to the front wheel fender, lower left faring, rear faring is cracked in 2 spots (but not severe), Right side of the fuel tank is caved in from the riders knee but not too much, the passenger handle is all scuffed up and re painted and the muffler has some minor scrapes and scratches. All in all after the repairs it all looks to be in decent condition, (on the outside anyway..)

All of this remains after Honda has replaced and fixed most of the damage.. so you have to wonder just how bad it actually was before they had done any repairs. The original owner was financing it and wasn't able to continue to pay after 8 months, nor was he able to pay to fix the bike after he had crashed/dumped it (at least twice), so they took it back from him and after repairs have been made, they are trying to sell it for 57.000 thb. Supposedly they sold new for 67.000 thb here in Phuket when there were still new ones available, but honestly these guys must be smoking crack and yaba to think they can sell it 2nd hand for 10.000 baht less than sticker price after it's been crashed and rode 5000kms.

I offered them 45.000 THB cash in hand (which is still too much IMHO) because currently there just aren't many CBR 150's available in this part of the country...

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any reply's in advance :)

- Entheo

Hi all!

Just registered and joined today as i am looking to buy a CBR 150, I've been reading this forum non registered for about 2 months now.

I am living in Phuket and have found a 2nd hand CBR 150 at a Honda dealership in Phuket town. It has 5000kms on it and has been dumped at least twice, they tried to tell me it had only been crashed once, but after inspecting the bike thoroughly i am certain it's been dumped at least twice. When i mentioned this, they then told me that they were not sure how many times it has been been crashed/dumped.. (fricken liars):realangry:.

There is damage to the front wheel fender, lower left faring, rear faring is cracked in 2 spots (but not severe), Right side of the fuel tank is caved in from the riders knee but not too much, the passenger handle is all scuffed up and re painted and the muffler has some minor scrapes and scratches. All in all after the repairs it all looks to be in decent condition, (on the outside anyway..)

All of this remains after Honda has replaced and fixed most of the damage.. so you have to wonder just how bad it actually was before they had done any repairs. The original owner was financing it and wasn't able to continue to pay after 8 months, nor was he able to pay to fix the bike after he had crashed/dumped it (at least twice), so they took it back from him and after repairs have been made, they are trying to sell it for 57.000 thb. Supposedly they sold new for 67.000 thb here in Phuket when there were still new ones available, but honestly these guys must be smoking crack and yaba to think they can sell it 2nd hand for 10.000 baht less than sticker price after it's been crashed and rode 5000kms.

I offered them 45.000 THB cash in hand (which is still too much IMHO) because currently there just aren't many CBR 150's available in this part of the country...

What do you guys think?

- Entheo

Congratulations on deciding on the CBR 150. Its a fantastic bike.

But I wouldnt touch that particular bike with a yard stick!!

How sure are you that it has done only 5000km?? If it was abused as it seems, what else was abused...how many times has it hit the rev limiter, lack of oil changes, etc?

There are many examples of well cared for bikes available for much less. Ok you may need travel a bit to get but for sure better than buying that bike.

Quite a distance from you , but the dealer I bought from ( Rayong) had 3 mint condition CBR 150s last week for around 40 to 4500. It wouldnt cost you 10K to travel here ......and back on the bike.if you buy.

Ive now done over 100,000Km on them and still cant find a better bike for my particular use. Mix of city and very busy open road commuting.

Congratulations on deciding on the CBR 150. Its a fantastic bike.

But I wouldnt touch that particular bike with a yard stick!!

How sure are you that it has done only 5000km?? If it was abused as it seems, what else was abused...how many times has it hit the rev limiter, lack of oil changes, etc?

There are many examples of well cared for bikes available for much less. Ok you may need travel a bit to get but for sure better than buying that bike.

Quite a distance from you , but the dealer I bought from ( Rayong) had 3 mint condition CBR 150s last week for around 40 to 4500. It wouldnt cost you 10K to travel here ......and back on the bike.if you buy.

Ive now done over 100,000Km on them and still cant find a better bike for my particular use. Mix of city and very busy open road commuting.

Hi Visions!

Thanks for the info and replying mate!

Could you tell me the name of the shop or the phone number? I have free time at the moment and would be able to make the journey north for sure! I am hoping to find an 07, 08, 09 model as they are all the same from what I've gathered?

Thanks again!

- Entheo

there are many Cbr 150's in Bangkok. look in Charoen sanitwong road. About 7 shops that stock 2nd hand cbr150's (last time i looked there were about 20). also on the way there in Om yai (Sam phran petkasem rd) opposite Big C. 2 shops that usually have 4-5 between them.

Also check mocy.com

Edited by thaicbr

there are many Cbr 150's in Bangkok. look in Charoen sanitwong road. About 7 shops that stock 2nd hand cbr150's (last time i looked there were about 20). also on the way there in Om yai (Sam phran petkasem rd) opposite Big C. 2 shops that usually have 4-5 between them.

Also check mocy.com

Looks like I will be making a trip up to BKK! :lol:

Thanks for the info Thaicbr!

This is a great forum and nice community!

Happy to be here!

Thanks again guys!

- Entheo

Hi all!

What do you guys think?

- Entheo

E... Heed the advice you are getting and keep looking. A buddy and I bought identical bikes, both with around 5000 km on the clock for 35 and 37 thousand baht. (Mine had a leaky fork and some minor cosmetic issues so cheaper.) Granted this was three years ago, but the deals are out there if you look hard enough.

Hi all!

What do you guys think?

- Entheo

E... Heed the advice you are getting and keep looking. A buddy and I bought identical bikes, both with around 5000 km on the clock for 35 and 37 thousand baht. (Mine had a leaky fork and some minor cosmetic issues so cheaper.) Granted this was three years ago, but the deals are out there if you look hard enough.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/classifieds/details.asp?id=105436

Calling this guy tonight!

You guys are awesome!

Thank you so much LivinLOS!

I have been checking The Phuket gazette paper but haven't found anything yet.. Though this was just posted yesterday! w00t! :blink:

Thanks again everyone, for all of your input!

I will write back as soon as! (with good news too, i hope:lol:)

sawas dee krap!:jap:

Ok I know some of you will call me an idiot, that's fine I can handle it.

Here is my problem. after my Crash last week I decided that while my bike is getting a few parts put back on I might as well get the carb cleaned. After 37000k I had never had it done.

The next three days the bike ran beautifully, very well tuned by the Honda guys. But on the fourth day after high revving it started to sputter and then it stalled. But two minutes later everything was fine again. the next day it happened twice, always after high revving in a higher gear. Yesterday it became undrivable.

Now, I am thinking that they replaced something in the fuel system that couldn't handle gasohol. I have been running gasohol in that bike for about 5 or 6 years. For the first couple of years it was out of ignorance, but a when I found that gasohol might cause me trouble I felt that after two years I must be fine. And I was right, the bike is a 2003 and it has always run flawlessly on gasohol until I had the carb cleaned this week.

So now I am looking for suggestions, perhaps it isn't a gasohol issue at all, perhaps the mechanic didn't put the carb back together right.

Anyhow I am thinking of just moving up to a 28mm carb {probably kehein). If I do this, will it be fine with gasohol? and what jetting do people recommend for a 28mm on a CBR 150?

You guys are awesome!

I have been checking The Phuket gazette paper but haven't found anything yet.. Though this was just posted yesterday! w00t! :blink:

On September 26th, when the current owner is back in Thailand, I will be the proud new owner of this 2009 Black CBR 150! :lol:

Many thanks to you LivinLOS! :D

p.s. Any idea where i can get a User Manual in English?

You guys are awesome!

On September 26th, when the current owner is back in Thailand, I will be the proud new owner of this 2009 Black CBR 150! :lol:

Many thanks to you LivinLOS! :D

p.s. Any idea where i can get a User Manual in English?

Hi there

I hope this file attaches to this post but here is well worn copy doing it's rounds on the forum. That's where I got this copy from. ( eMail me the stupid file won't upload, it is in PDF form).

Holding thumbs for your new purchase?

Are you living on Phuket, if so email me I am looking for folks with the CBR 150, I also have a black 2009 model. .

Bye for now.

Hi there

I hope this file attaches to this post but here is well worn copy doing it's rounds on the forum. That's where I got this copy from. ( eMail me the stupid file won't upload, it is in PDF form).

Are you living on Phuket, if so email me I am looking for folks with the CBR 150, I also have a black 2009 model. .

Bye for now.

Hi ThaiMouse!

I sent you a PM with my email, but not sure if you got it?

If you can reply with the PDF attachment I'd be very grateful!

Thanks again!

- Entheo

Hi there

Bye for now.

Hi ThaiMouse!

I sent you a PM with my email, but not sure if you got it?

If you can reply with the PDF attachment I'd be very grateful!

Thanks again!

- Entheo

Alas, I have given up on this backward internet. Give me a call on my mobile number 081 271 9390 and I will bring my flash drive around to you and you can copy directly onto your computor. Sorry for the delays.

Hi there

I will try to send the manual again, but my internet is so bad from CAT, I live in Cherng Talay, but the signal strength is so weak, it drops every 1 1/2 minutes.

So hold thumbs here I try again?

Bye for now.

Ok I know some of you will call me an idiot, that's fine I can handle it.

Here is my problem. after my Crash last week I decided that while my bike is getting a few parts put back on I might as well get the carb cleaned. After 37000k I had never had it done.

The next three days the bike ran beautifully, very well tuned by the Honda guys. But on the fourth day after high revving it started to sputter and then it stalled. But two minutes later everything was fine again. the next day it happened twice, always after high revving in a higher gear. Yesterday it became undrivable.

Now, I am thinking that they replaced something in the fuel system that couldn't handle gasohol. I have been running gasohol in that bike for about 5 or 6 years. For the first couple of years it was out of ignorance, but a when I found that gasohol might cause me trouble I felt that after two years I must be fine. And I was right, the bike is a 2003 and it has always run flawlessly on gasohol until I had the carb cleaned this week.

So now I am looking for suggestions, perhaps it isn't a gasohol issue at all, perhaps the mechanic didn't put the carb back together right.

Anyhow I am thinking of just moving up to a 28mm carb {probably kehein). If I do this, will it be fine with gasohol? and what jetting do people recommend for a 28mm on a CBR 150?

Well what a shame I have to reply to my own post, there was a time when the CBR forum was full of quick info and advice.

Anyhow I took my bike back to Honda and they discovered it was not a fuel problem at all. It seems I managed to tear the spark plug wire in the collision and it was not making a good connection. I guess I must have got my foot up in there somehow, that probably explains the double sprain on my foot.

I am motoring again, and still running the gasohol. And related to that, I noticed that they managed to use up half a tank of my gas repairing the bike <_< I wish I would have checked the mileage before I dropped it off.