PM in talks to reopen Thailand for foreign tourists

webfact

PM in talks to reopen country for foreign tourists

By The Nation

800_ee921a60383d0a5.jpg?v=1598445619

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Wednesday he was in talks with state agencies on how to open the country to foreign tourists after the Covid-19 situation improves.

Being discussed are the timing for reopening and which provinces will be the first to open for foreign tourists.

The first phase may only see a small number of tourists allowed into the country and their areas of possible travel limited, he added.

The Thai Hotel Association (THA) recently urged the government to reopen the country to foreigners, as hotels struggle with near-zero occupancy rates and some small operators are forced to close.

THA chairwoman Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi said the government should focus on specific countries or cities and come up with promotions to bring back tourists.

Meanwhile, Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said Thailand is focusing on online trade and boosting border trade.

The ministry's public-private committee will meet next week to seeks ways to boost exports and border trade volume.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30393571

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-27

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

The first phase may only see a small number of tourists allowed into the country and their areas of possible travel limited, he added.

To save on RSI then I'll quote my earlier post in another thread.  I'll add tortuous to add some glamour.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

“THA chairwoman Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi said the government should focus on specific countries or cities and come up with promotions to bring back tourists.” 

Ooh hello China fancy a holiday?

Until China comes back................................... no one comes back.

• Sad 1

I think it's too late for a lot of small hotels and small resorts I can see just in the area where I live already gone under we had lots of small resorts with 10 to 15 rooms some of them I know have huge rents and were already struggling before covid 19.

One resort I know the landlord wouldn't defer the rent now they have had to close down, Jai Rai

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

So I go to Thailand, sit in quarantine?  I have a marvelous time when most places for fun are empty?   Then I return home and sit in quarantine again? 

Chickens are coming home to roost on the Thai elite.  Country's with middle classes are bouncing back: China and Vietnam in particular.  So cha cha needs to leave and let somebody with experience with nation building, rather than interrogation, take charge.  The youth of Thailand are demanding it. 

General Cha cha doing an Elvis impression. listen to the lyrics in the chorus. Sums up the general perfectly. :cheesy:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

All this is doing is to make Cambodia, Vietnam, and Philippines more attractive, while Thailand will slide into obscurity as a preferred tourist destination ???? Motto of the day.......If it ain,t broke, don,t fix it !

Possibly - but all three of those countries are also currently closed to tourists - and Cambodia for one also has a 14 day quarantine (I have a business need to travel there). Not sure about quarantine requirements for Vietnam and Philippines but pretty sure the latter does enforce some sort of restrictions for returning Filipinos and residents (the only ones allowed in at present).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Sadly, many Thai small business men and women do not understand the principles of business.  If there is low demand (like now) you have to drop your prices to be competitive.  We have dropped our prices by over 60% and are 75% full.  Thailand desperately needs Business Schools located in a variety of Districts so that the local people can learn basic business skills.  Even in the good times, one sees a business open and they pump up the prices, or market products that they like, only to collapse and close shortly after.  No folks, you need to market things that the great public wants.

Do you think they never learn?! Even in village life, if somebody start grow something new. Everybody follow next year and f up prices! I have never understand why all need grow same fruit! I just demolish 1100 tree of dragon fruits! (good get 100k bth from pole)!So much disease! Few years back get one cut 5000 bth now if lucky 500-1000 bth! If "nok" not eat rest! Now let soil rest and next year plan something else! Maybe sugar can if promice same price than now! Promice 1050 bth/ton! Ok price even little while ago get almost 1500 bth/ton!

Edited by 2 is 1

6 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Better do not open now . Virus is still surging and no vaccine ready yet . Bad timing .

Virus is surging in Europe still, true, but the mortality rate is dropping like a stone. Thailand may have already ridden out this storm and it cannot wait until a vaccine is available 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2252699-covid-19-is-becoming-less-deadly-in-europe-but-we-dont-know-why

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Do you think they never learn?! Even in village life, if somebody start grow something new. Everybody follow next year and f up prices! I have never understand why all need grow same fruit! I just demolish 1100 tree of dragon fruits! (good get 100k bth from pole)!So much disease! Few years back get one cut 5000 bth now if lucky 500-1000 bth! If "nok" not eat rest! Now let soil rest and next year plan something else! Maybe sugar can if promice same price than now! Promice 1050 bth/ton! Ok price even little while ago get almost 1500 bth/ton!

Hold out to grow "medical" marijuana that's coming ???? ... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Better do not open now . Virus is still surging and no vaccine ready yet . Bad timing .

From what I have heard, the idea of a vaccine is inept (trust me I wish they could fin one). Reputable scientist wonder how one can come with a sound vaccine when there is none effective against the flue. 

I do really think that there is no good nor bad timing. Whatever decision made it will impact positively or negatively, health wise or economically wise any country

• Like 1

As long as they hang on to their 2 week jail term in a hotel of their choice before you can go anywhere then nobody in their right mind will come to Thailand for a holiday ! Only people who will entertain it are those that spend 3 months or longer there and even then the quarantine cost and hassle will put them off .
I know of around 10 people that have left for good after years of living in Thailand and know of about 5 more that want to leave but can’t until they sell their properties . This versus the amount I know wanting to come ( 2 )but won’t until the 2 week forced quarantine in a hotel is stopped . 
After being in Vietnam last year for a holiday it reminded me of what thailand was 10-15 years ago and I’m sure it is now more appealing as a holiday destination and a long term place to stay than Thailand.

• Like 1