Huge tax breaks to push switch from old cars to new and EV

webfact

Huge tax breaks to push switch from old cars to new and EV

Bt The Nation

800_0013d2bc2b50798.jpeg?v=1598541478

Industry Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit

The government will offer tax incentives for individuals and companies to exchange their old cars for new cars or electric vehicles, Industry Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit told the “New Generation of Automotives” seminar hosted by Krungthep Turakij newspaper on Thursday.

The scheme will apply to used cars 15 years old or older and will boost sales of new cars and e-vehicles, he said. The ministry also aims to recycle the used cars.

The government will offer income tax deductions of up to Bt100,000 for companies and individuals who join the scheme, which will be proposed for Cabinet approval in the next two or three months.

The tax break will be offered for five years, said Suriya, adding that he will finalise details of the tax package with Finance Minister Predee Daochai soon.

“The government may lose some tax revenue [due to the scheme], but in return we will cut PM2.5 air pollution and boost car sales that have been badly hit by Covid-19. It will also boost the adoption of electric cars,” he said.

The tax break would not immediately boost demand for e-cars, since their price is currently higher than combustion-engine cars, Suriya said. But once prices dropped to the same level, it will help tip the balance in favour of e-cars.   

Countries in Europe have offered similar incentives for consumers to switch to electric cars.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30393629

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-28

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, englishoak said:

Wheres the charging infrastructure coming from ?  how do you charge a car from a condo, elastic cable ? ridiculous article. 

You would need to build charging station into parking deck and then prorate it as a common fee for those who park their cars there

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The government will offer income tax deductions of up to Bt100,000 for companies and individuals who join the scheme, which will be proposed for Cabinet approval in the next two or three months.

Lets see some evidence of the national recharging facilities to individuals before asking them to go buy an electric car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr  Minister Suriya 

Your having a laugh he knows the Thai Bart is that high it’s not funny The generals put him in such a position he couldn’t sell his stockpiled cars even if he wanted to and this is the brainwave that they have come up with

millions Of cars stockpiled photos of it just a couple of days ago in the newspaper
they can’t sell

the Thai Bart is so over the top it’s not funny

and now he’s having a laugh saying he’s given you a tax break

what do you think the farmer thinks about that out in the middle of nowhere

don’t even pay tax or plug electric car in for God sake

that mighty leader of yours is making you look absolutely stupid you went to university all these years for that

• Like 2

While my 2002 Honda C-RV continues to run fine and has always been well maintained. I'll be listening to any financial help to own a car within a decade of the present year! Like lottery tickets, I won't hold my breath ...

• Like 1

It doesn't matter that regular folk are hard pressed to keep their heads above water, the car companies (along w/ the rest) will continue to paint the rosiest of pictures, knowing that most will default. The get what you can "outta' them til there is no more" will always persist. 

10 hours ago, englishoak said:

Wheres the charging infrastructure coming from ?  how do you charge a car from a condo, elastic cable ? ridiculous article. 

Trusted Thailand, Farang are only allowed to buy condos, yet they expect us to buy an electric car that we cannot even plug in!

5 hours ago, kiwisteve said:

Mr  Minister Suriya 

Your having a laugh he knows the Thai Bart is that high it’s not funny The generals put him in such a position he couldn’t sell his stockpiled cars even if he wanted to and this is the brainwave that they have come up with

millions Of cars stockpiled photos of it just a couple of days ago in the newspaper
they can’t sell

the Thai Bart is so over the top it’s not funny

I fail to understand how the value of the Thai Baht has any influence when selling Thai built cars to Thai people.

By the way, could please share those pictures of millions of new cars stock piled in Thailand?

Edited by Susco

11 hours ago, englishoak said:

11 hours ago, englishoak said:

There are many more that you think, and PTT announced before that they would be placing them at every location in the future

https://www.nationthailand.com/auto/30372650

http://www.evat.or.th/

Edited by Redline

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The government will offer tax incentives for individuals and companies to exchange their old cars for new cars or electric vehicles

Targeting the rich again. 

Electric cars are a major con anyway, people need to do some research on the sourcing of the raw materials for the battery manufacture, the manufacture of the batteries, and the disposal of them at end of life, as well as the building of and running additional power generation and the reticulation of this power throughout the country. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redline said:

There are many more that you think, and PTT announced before that they would be placing them at every location in the future

https://www.nationthailand.com/auto/30372650

http://www.evat.or.th/

I just had electric outage from 8 to 5pm. I think I'll hold buying an electric car here for .. all eternity. A Benz 300D from 1972 is the perfect car for Thai infrastructure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kiwisteve said:

Thai Bart is that high it’s not funny

Who is this character and what is he high on?

9 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I  wouldn't buy with the Aussie scholar

What is the Aussie scholar, a student from Australia living and attending school in Thailand?

'nuf sed.

5 hours ago, Susco said:

I fail to understand how the value of the Thai Baht has any influence when selling Thai built cars to Thai people.

By the way, could please share those pictures of millions of new cars stock piled in Thailand?

Does ever Thai buy a Thai built car, wouldn't think so? 

5 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Does ever Thai buy a Thai built car, wouldn't think so? 

Don't know, but to me a Toyota built by Thais in a factory in Thailand, sound like a Thai built car.

And I'm sure that the majority of Thais buys cars that are built in Thailand.

But the poster, to which I initially replied, was most likely confused about the importance of the foreigner in this story.

Edited by Susco