I've seen the grim reality of Thailand without tourists – and it isn't pretty

webfact

13 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

of course the welfare in Thailand is very far from the ones in the west

but at some point there is a welfare existing, the 30 bahts health scheme

the pension paid monthly to old people and the disabled, free state schools

and even a financial help for the ones losing their jobs.

"pension"  starts at 60 years old,  and is 600 baht month.    

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Total Tourism is approx 18% of GDP including domestic Tourism, International incoming Tourism accounts for between 7-9% of GDP at the moment Thai's that used to go overseas for the vacation's are more than likely to spend their vacation time in Thailand

which will reduce the impact of international tourism down to 5-7% of GDP

I read that two thirds of the income from Tourism comes from foreign tourists.

Do you have any figures that back up your assertion?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Chivas said:

As I said here a couple days ago if Thailand is suffering so much why are its Foreign Currency Reserves at record levels and now the 8th highest in the World having increased another $30 Billion since February to sit at over $250 Billion in total......

US$250,000,000,000 can be wiped out in a New York minute. 

Today i saw that the Kasikorn exchange booth at Tesco Lotus south, that was not open long time anymore ,...was now torally removed and letting a big open spot besides the group of ATM's ....probably now even the banks giving up on revived tourism 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

The UK, for instance, has taken a similar hit, but it is not going to be on an ongoing basis

Cases in Europe are on the rise. France has already more cases a day now then in April still nobody closes their borders. They are all in full lockdown again in September.

23 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I read that two thirds of the income from Tourism comes from foreign tourists.

Do you have any figures that back up your assertion?

These are the countries most reliant on your tourism dollars

No 21 Thailand 9.82 % of GDP

https://qz.com/1724042/the-countries-most-reliant-on-tourism-for-gdp/

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the number of Thais travelling overseas were 8.79 million last year, up 7.23 per cent and they spent a combined worth Bt276 billion.

https://www.nationthailand.com/Tourism/30349409#:~:text=According to the Tourism Authority,with global median of %242.443.

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats.

Expats NOT tourists!

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Total nonsense. The $100 billion (yes, about 3.3 trillion baht!) Thailand takes in from tourism annually reverberates out in countless ways. Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless business employing many. To say it is insignificant, is a blatant misunderstanding of Thai economics. Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit. 

This hapless administration needs to develop some courage and initiative. They can't hide from the world forever. Extreme timidity from supposedly tough men is an amusing thing to witness. However, the pain they are inflicting on millions is not. 

We will see. 

2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I somewhat disagree on this. Tourist money filters through the economy in ways we don't even think about. That restaurant that's just closed down has now put people out of work, it's reduced the income of a wholesaler and in turn reduced the income of food processors/farms so more jobs lost at a local level.

What Thailand should be doing is taking this opportunity to wean themselves off the Tourism drug.

and that I think is what they are doing.  What people seem to be dismissing is that the Generals run this place and they are, by nature training and experience, able to accept risks that professional politicians will not take, just to achieve a strategic aim.  As I say, we will see, but all is not what it seems. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

What are you thinking? Did you read what you wrote?

18% of GDP and not vital?? 4,000,000 people out of work and not vital??

7 people thanked you because they live in a bubble where they are not affected.

Just because you don't see the suffering doesn't mean that no one is suffering. Some people will take advantage of the situation, buying up assets cheap, but that doesn't mean that millions are not suffering because of the collapse of the tourism industry.

as I have said earlier, Generals run this place and their acceptance of risk and  of incidental casualties of taking those risks, is far different to that of professional politicians, if it achieves their long term strategic aims and objectives.  It is not all it seems. . 

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Think on this, over 40 million Thais live in rural locations that never see a tourist and don't need them for their local economy.  Don't get tourism out of proportion.  It is less than 18% of GDP and not absolutely vital to Thailand. Watch this space. It may all virtually end and I dont think that many Thais will cry any tears if it does. At the very least, it may be confined to a few restricted areas only, such as Phuket and Pattaya. 

My thoughts exactly. Most Thais I know see less foreigners as a good thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scot123 said:

Very bizarre post and very misinformed.  First there is quite a lot of foreigners living in these rural communities that you talk of (I was one for 10 years). There were 3 foreigners in the area all pumping in money into the local economies (I was pumping a million baht a year). There are plenty of Thai families surviving from money given by foreigners. Do you realise how many Thais who live abroad and send money home and now find themselves unable to visit family on holiday. Then to think that nearly 20% of GDP is nothing, Wow! 

we will see.  Macro economics is far more complex than you  seem to be inferring here. A few expats in rural communities does not an economy make. Many more 'dependent economies' have been re alighted in the past, this just may be one more example. 

3 hours ago, DaLa said:

Yes , I agree the numbers are overall smaller. And yes we did buy steel from other countries that then cost the UK through lack of export revenue. However the impact on certain areas were devastating, just as the lack of tourists is hitting the likes of Pattaya here.  I'm in no way suggesting this is easy for anyone in the tourist business here and I would welcome a quick return to relative normality. I spend a few days each month down in Cha Am and have noticed the girly bar area is almost dead, but the beach at the weekend, the market and overall business has resumed to a degree.

My point was that loosing your business or having a major economic driver change in your industry is not unique.

Losing it overnight is unique.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When the female boss of TAT came to Chiang Mai she considered all expats as tourists.

Nobody could tell her any different, she didn't care ....... foreigners = tourists.

A believer in TAT...........WOW!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

It really saddens me that so many on here are so bitter and filled with hatred to other expats or their own countrymen. Nasty and bitter.

It saddens, but doesn't surprise me, that with a bag full of their usual western arrogance, many expats seem to think that the Thai economy revolves around them,  It isn't true, nowhere close,  and they may find that out to their cost in coming months and years. "Wake up and smell the coffee" seems an appropriate phrase here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1