Thailand's entire tourism industry will collapse if foreign tourists are not allowed back, industry leader

webfact

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

but before they kept saying that tourism was not an important source of income for Thailand, what made them change their view

Heard that, and so many on here as well...

All said the same thing. 

Our participation wasn't meaningful, Thailand would just carry on as it were. 

Yet not a single post I saw, ever claimed they alone would make a difference in the economy, 

but as a whole.

The negatives started outplaying the positives for the country.

I believe every visitors knows full well, when they arrive, this isn't their country, 

and nothing will change because of them. It really comes down to judging the benefits any one country has to offer, is all. I think for the most part that is what posts here are expressing, and yet they get slammed down on how this isn't their country, should not try to change anything, and if you not like it; go elsewhere. Which is what I think most are expressing as there own consideration, as they evaluate the overall picture of day to day life within the kingdom. If they share their thoughts and some of their experiences, then constructive criticism can be provided from the community. As to how things might be similar elsewhere, and it's really not all that outlandish as we perceive it to be at the time...?

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

Most airlines need about 70% of seats to be occupied just to break-even, correct me if I'm wrong.

It depends on aircraft type.

70% load factor is the bare minimum in general. But get to an A380 and you are talking 90%+

I look at passenger load factors at my station, just domestic flights, and I haven't seen consistent load factors like that for a long time.

What a lot of Western airlines have been doing is replacing mainline aircraft with regional jets (50-80 seats) to try to better fill flights.

Thats not possible when you get to the long haul widebody fleet

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

It has already collapsed, and it started long before covid19. 

Absolutely correct, it started just around the time that hundreds of thousands of "tourists" from that big triangular country started flooding the streets, which strangely commenced right after the most recent change in government ????

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

Learn some skills that are required by the modern world economy!!

In practise these girls have gone back to their village and the fields.

Change starts in the education sector, but maybe at school - it's a bit late for these girls, though could train into better positions in hospitality - an emphasis on quality is needed to successfully rebuild the tourist sector. Its important! Its a quarter of gdp, it employs the poorer folk, the competition from overseas is rude.

Edited by CapeTown
  • Like 2

The mum n pop business will eat Mama

The small chains will flop as will all who depend mainly on foreign tourst, tukttuk jetski etc

The big International players can sit it out and buy up competitors cheaply

Streetwalkers may have to . err walk the streets

Of course if this winter season lost and I cannot imagine any real 2-3 week foreign tourist enduring not just quarantine both ends but many will have lower disposable income.

If it persist , unemployment, bankruptcy will infect all economies not just here, lost wok, pay means less spending.

Luckily despite the neighsayers Thai debt levels and credit management is better than many.

The crunch is coming as the 2 constraints, to keep safe and allow mass tourism are incomaptible.

The excrement is heading inexorably towards the ventilator at the HUB of  sufficieny education.

The hope, but don't expect before 2022 must be a vaccine and many are working flat out, I Imagine the firm to get a good one out first will do very well.

Edited by RubbaJohnny
typo
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Easy peasy, right!

Just walk into one of the many free education- companies and start learning!

Nothing could be easier!

Sarcasm?

My dad-in-law did just that: attending free local classes in his neighborhood a few years ago and now he makes flower from clay. Many more crafts were on offer, all free of charge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Care to explain how - in the current situation - millions who are working in tourism or in fields, profitting from tourism, should "reposition" themselves?

The easiest way is to start looking to market to Thai families then when tourists start to come back it is not the same geared to horny drunk old farts

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, catch104 said:

You are talking non sense. The tourism business is not few huge companies sharing the cake but thousands of business, hundred of thousand of small business directly or indirectly involve, million of workers directly or indirectly involve that spend in the economy. It has absolutely no similarities with airlines

It will be a few huge businesses after this, no worries. 

Cheap assets for the rich, it will just no longer be owned by normal thais, blame the government, not me. 

• Thanks 1