Current new car prices in Chiang Mai

scorecard

I'm outside Thailand right now, trying to get some information on new car prices in Thailand for my son.

Especially in regard to Honda Mobilio in Chiang Mai.

(Currently shown on a Thai Honda website - 659,000Baht to 765,000Baht.)

Any thing you can share much appreciated.

(But not asking for opinions/comments about Honda or Mobilio.)

Edited by scorecard

24 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Is your son in Thailand? Maybe he can help you. ???? 

Thanks, yes my Thai (adult) son is in Chiang Mai.

He knows absolutely nothing about cars and nothing whatever about buying cars.

He and his wife are looking for a car with more seats (3 kids) and they're impressed with Honda Mobilio.

My son is currently overloaded with work, Covid 19 has increased his work load enormously so I'm trying to get some info for him. 

He shared a Thai language Honda website snip, it currently shows Mobilio 659,000Baht to 765,000Baht, but I don't know if that's the normal list price or whatever. I'm hoping of course these prices are standard full prices and right now there's some reduction in prices. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

He and his wife are looking for a car with more seats (3 kids) and they're impressed with Honda Mobilio.

My son is currently overloaded with work, Covid 19 has increased his work load enormously so I'm trying to get some info for him. 

He shared a Thai language Honda website snip, it currently shows Mobilio 659,000Baht to 765,000Baht, but I don't know if that's the normal list price or whatever. I'm hoping of course these prices are standard full prices and right now there's some reduction in prices. 

I just thought you could ask him to look at prices for brands and models you wish to buy for him. ???? 

• Like 1

Do you have a good friend in CM that knows a little about cars?   Since you already say that you are interested in that Honda model......... its fairly simple to ask a few questions at two or three dealers in CM to learn what the price differences are .  ( options would be the main factor ! )

In all cases Auto gear is more than manual.    Then the other options . 

Figuring out which ones you want.... and which ones you don't care about... is how you get a price.

Once you get the price for what you want from 3 separate dealers..... then one can haggle a bit.

I think thats about all someone can tell you on a forum.    Next step is someone goes in person

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I just thought you could ask him to look at prices for brands and models you wish to buy for him. ???? 

You could always point him in the direction of the nearest MG garage as an alternative :cheesy:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, petermik said:

You could always point him in the direction of the nearest MG garage as an alternative :cheesy:

Thanks but no thanks.

A buddy in Pitsanalook wishes he'd never bought one.

Bad image here in Australia.  

27 minutes ago, rumak said:

Do you have a good friend in CM that knows a little about cars?   Since you already say that you are interested in that Honda model......... its fairly simple to ask a few questions at two or three dealers in CM to learn what the price differences are .  ( options would be the main factor ! )

In all cases Auto gear is more than manual.    Then the other options . 

Figuring out which ones you want.... and which ones you don't care about... is how you get a price.

Once you get the price for what you want from 3 separate dealers..... then one can haggle a bit.

I think thats about all someone can tell you on a forum.    Next step is someone goes in person

Thanks for the advice.

My son has already got some advice from his close friends and decided to go to 3 dealers, and he's made a list of the extras he really wants, and his wife is pushing him to be realistic about what they would/wouldn't use.

Can I assume that price reduction is not common?

50 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Thanks and points taken.

Truth is that he's keen to learn, and he has to pay 50% so that's driving him to buy wisely. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks but no thanks.

A buddy in Pitsanalook wishes he'd never bought one.

Bad image here in Australia.  

Total BS.

MG is rapidly growing in the Australian market, and a lot of that has to do with the brand’s simple and honest offerings, with an industry-best seven-year warranty plus a rich list of standard equipment across its ever-expanding model line-up.

But while the MG ZS SUV remains the best seller for the Chinese brand, the MG 3 is only 20 unit sales behind in the first three months of this year, and the brand as a whole is selling more cars than Jeep, Peugeot, Skoda and Mini in 2019. Not bad for a brand that is still in the establishment phase and expanding its dealerships' footprint.

The point is, MG is here to stay, and it’s proving its worth with increasing sales every single month.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for the advice.

My son has already got some advice from his close friends and decided to go to 3 dealers, and he's made a list of the extras he really wants, and his wife is pushing him to be realistic about what they would/wouldn't use.

When one is not that experienced about something, in this case cars, it is not easy to bargain as the salespeople will say things that are often misleading about what is "standard" or what is extra, etc.

A quick learning session is in order,  that is why you go to one dealer....listen to their pitch (and price), then go to the next and see what they say.  Not smart to let on what the other place tells you, just listen, ask some questions from what you were told at the first place,   then on to the third place.

Its ok to let them know you are "shopping around".    of course, being a new car, you should only be buying from the large dealers.  When one place seems the best, offer a significant amount less than the asking price .   Maybe ask to deal with the mgr.   All kind of tricky as to be personable but playing the  discount game at same time.     

BTW:  is this a cash purchase?     actually many places want installments for the interest,  but cash sale can entice them as well

and scorecard....you've been around tv long enough to know:   don't feed the trolls  

Edited by rumak

the website that  transam  posted  shows the different models and prices.

at first glance all have same  auto trans  and engine size   .     why the top model is so much more i do not know...... but probably not worth the extra money  ????

20 minutes ago, coastguard said:

I found no room to negotiate prices on new cars in Thailand.

I got all the standard free extras with my new car and a really good deal by paying cash. My wife just phoned around play one dealer against another. 

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

and a really good deal by paying cash.

I think there was a misunderstanding, here in Thailand you get a lower sales price or more extras if you finance it, because the dealer gets a commission from the bank or finance company, dealers don't want people to pay cash.

Edited by jackdd

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

I assume your son is aware that Mobilio only has airbags for driver and front passenger and no curtain of side airbags for anyone  including driver and front passenger

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I assume your son is aware that Mobilio only has airbags for driver and front passenger and no curtain of side airbags for anyone  including driver and front passenger

The only way one is safe on the roads in LOS is driving something resembling a Sherman tank. Forget about the airbags.  

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

here in Thailand you get a lower sales price or more extras if you finance it, because the dealer gets a commission from the bank or finance company, dealers don't want people to pay cash.

Not in this case. My wife went into the dealers and inquired about the cost of the vehicle and what standard extras came with the car. Them thinking we would buy on credit as per the Thai way. From there she starts phoning other dealers to see what they were offering. None were different. They all supplied the same extras as standard. She then starts again by saying she wanted to pay cash and asking for a 'cash price'. That then started her goal to get the best cash discount on top of the standard extras. Playing one against the other she managed to get an approx discount of 160,000. If we'd bought a Ford of similar build we'd have paid 400,000 ish more extra. I'm happy. My wife's happy  and my kids are happy. Job done.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

No you cant, dont play nice with car dealers, they are NOT  your friend. Ask for a low price  and await the answers, if you dont like their  price go to another, do not limit yourself to local dealers, I literally  went from one end of the country to the other for the best price.

Car dealers  will feed  you any BS  they want, theyll  tell you they cant do that, they can and will if  pushed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, coastguard said:

Unless things have changed since the pandemic/economic mess (which is very possible), I found no room to negotiate prices on new cars in Thailand. You can however try to get as many "free" extras as possible. 

Ive  bought two vehicles in the last 18  months, both heavily discounted when you  push the sales people, currently many Thai car co's not doing well so should be even easier now.

Edited by bodga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bodga said:

No you cant, dont play nice with car dealers, they are NOT  your friend. Ask for a low price  and await the answers, if you dont like their  price go to another, do not limit yourself to local dealers, I literally  went from one end of the country to the other for the best price.

Car dealers  will feed  you any BS  they want, theyll  tell you they cant do that, they can and will if  pushed.

What would you say is a fair % discount on the original price where the dealer still makes something at least?

10 minutes ago, alien365 said:

What would you say is a fair % discount on the original price where the dealer still makes something at least?

Depends. We got 160,000 ish discount on the make and model we wanted. Not your concern really as to whether the dealers makes a profit. I'd find it kinda hard to believe they'd sell at a loss. We all have our limits.

To get 160,000bht off list price doesn't make a lot of sense to me when it is already a cheap ride, especially from a dealers point of view, unless what he pays for it is way under list price, made for peanuts, after all that is a lot of money.

Or perhaps the truck is not selling, must clear what they have before rust sets in..........who knows..????

• Like 1

Even in today's climate Dealers wont budge much on their best sellers. They will do great deals on that Mobilo YO YO Honda thats been behind the Showroom for a year. Try getting a Jazz , you dont buy it, next bloke will Just done the main dealers with a Chum.

When chevrolet  reduced the price by 50% on a number of models , the dealers wouldn't have taken the hit, it would have been chevrolet , remember the dealer network was still required to sell all the models on the production line and the vehicles that hadn't been delivered to the dealers.

Some years ago in the UK some of the larger dealers would have a vpa agreement with the manufacturer along the lines of

5% discount to the dealer cost for 0-99 cars each month and 10% discount on all cars if they sold 100 or more cars

sometimes it was worthwhile for a dealer to buy a car themselves to get the extra 10% on all cars each month

• Thanks 1