British woman tests positive for Covid-19 in state quarantine

webfact

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This is exactly what happened. Initially quarantine was at home and it was quickly found that people were instead heading out on the town, even posting online selfies about it, and that ended that.

Slef-quarantine hasn't worked out will in NZ and other countries, either.

In Cambodia they have had to beef up security at quarantine facilities to stop people sneaking out.

Western Australia has not recorded any community transmission of COVID-19 for several months.

And yet you get those idiots breaking the rules for a pint of beer

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-29/coronavirus-breach-at-northbridge-hotel/12608998

it appears the flight is the main risk,i hear that the conditions can be cramped according to another brit incoming.no distancing and next to thais that arnt checked before leaving,they require only a fit to fly paper not a test.if shes clear on the 1st test it appears to fall into that incubation bracket.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The 29-year-old British language teacher had arrived on August 15 from the United Kingdom and had checked into alternative state quarantine in Bangkok. She tested positive on August 27 with fever and headache symptoms.

Another good reason to not allow tourists into Phuket and let them walk around mixing with everyone in a one-kilometre radius of their hotel!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Indeed, Thais are not required to have a COVID test before boarding repatriation flights.

Ok, so that makes flying here all the more scary if stuck on a plane with untested Thai pax? The teacher could have caught it during the flight. Seems crazy allowing this to me.

That would be a downer for the teacher having spent all the prerequisite funds to get here during COVID with now a trip to the hospital, more ASQ and tests for a now indefinite period. Will have to include all these necessary expenses in my next overseas work contract plan that no one will ever agree to.

• Like 1

Euphoria? If a tourist was found positive on day 12 of their 14 day quarantine in a Phuket botel? 

I should imagine that the hotel, staff and other punters would be wetting their underwear if this happened.

The process for negative test is clear, what's not so clear is what happens if the tests are positive. Do the tourists get transferred to hospital, do they continue to stay in the hotel?

I guess the moral is, don't travel. 

Edited by Scott Tracy
Changed so to do.

30 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Euphoria? If a tourist was found positive on day 12 of their 14 day quarantine in a Phuket botel? 

I should imagine that the hotel, staff and other punters would be wetting their underwear if this happened.

The process for negative test is clear, what's not so clear is what happens if the tests are positive. Do the tourists get transferred to hospital, do they continue to stay in the hotel?

I guess the moral is, don't travel. 

Hospital until she tests negative

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Indeed, Thais are not required to have a COVID test before boarding repatriation flights.

As a person of medical background, do you see this as a acceptable procedure? Nearly all the positive COVID cases in the news each day are Thai returning from abroad in quarantine.

One might assume the Thai's got to get their own back home no matter what and any foreigners who catch COVID off of them inflight would be just collateral damage who they'll be able to milk more hospital fees out of if they catch anything. I cannot understand why any foreigner would want to get on a flight with this kind of risk?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

This is exactly what happened. Initially quarantine was at home and it was quickly found that people were instead heading out on the town, even posting online selfies about it, and that ended that.

Slef-quarantine hasn't worked out will in NZ and other countries, either.

In Cambodia they have had to beef up security at quarantine facilities to stop people sneaking out.

Sadly, the few ruin it for the many. 

I ‘isolated’ in the UK in April (having arrived from overseas) although it was not a requirement. 

But, I did go to the Supermarket twice, *masked up etc 

I think that is sufficient - but recently history shows people cannot follow common sense or reasonable restrictions. 

*I personally question the effectiveness of mask wear (en mass) because people re-use the same masks, handle them and dispose of them poorly etc. However, I have no issues wearing them myself as doing so once, disposing of it in a bin and not re-using it etc does not harm me and ‘could’ protect others. 

54 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

As a person of medical background, do you see this as a acceptable procedure? Nearly all the positive COVID cases in the news each day are Thai returning from abroad in quarantine.

One might assume the Thai's got to get their own back home no matter what and any foreigners who catch COVID off of them inflight would be just collateral damage who they'll be able to milk more hospital fees out of if they catch anything. I cannot understand why any foreigner would want to get on a flight with this kind of risk?

If you are not in a high risk group, what risk is there? 

If someone is 75 years old, diabetic with existing respiratory difficulties then they should of course reconsider boarding a repatriation flight. That said, that same person should reconsider visiting any populated area where he could contract a common cold or flu. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:
5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Ok, so that makes flying here all the more scary if stuck on a plane with untested Thai pax? The teacher could have caught it during the flight. Seems crazy allowing this to me.

That would be a downer for the teacher having spent all the prerequisite funds to get here during COVID with now a trip to the hospital, more ASQ and tests for a now indefinite period. Will have to include all these necessary expenses in my next overseas work contract plan that no one will ever agree to.

She is likely to be a teacher at a decent international school which has sufficient ‘sway’ to get her on a Repatriation Flight. 

Her ASQ and flight will be paid for by the school.

The additional hospital fees will be paid for by her Health Insurance (which covers Covid-19) and is the whole purpose of the insurance. 

I’ve heard that those who have tested positive for Covid-19 and showing minor symptoms are treated in an isolated Covid-19 hospital (continued hospital quarantine) and treated with Avigan (Favipiravir)  as a prophylaxis / precaution (which may or may not work with Covid-19, its usually used to treat serious cases of influenza).

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You understand why there is quarantine and tests during quarantine right?

Pre-flight test: Self administered or imperfect - Negative result. 

Arrival Test: Negative

Day 5 Test: Negative

Day 12 test: Positive 

It apparently takes 4-5 days (I’m not 100% sure) for Covid-19 to show up on a PCR test after someone has contracted Covid-19

Thus a person could contract Covid-19 and still be negative on a test a few days later. 

Its possible the lady contracted Covid-19 on the flight over, tested negative on day 0 (arrival) and on day 5. 

This is why there is a quarantine of 15 days.

That said: The numbers are so low I think it perfectly acceptable for people to be tested on arrival and quarantine at home. BUT, people will break quarantine - unfortunately the harsh reality of the self-centred population we live in. 

I don't understand what the point of the test 72 hours before travelling if they are testing on arrival and enforcing mandatory quarantine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I don't understand what the point of the test 72 hours before travelling if they are testing on arrival and enforcing mandatory quarantine.

Someone in a committee, probably a senior figure suggested it... “foreigners should be tested before they can fly here” and there it was, those in a more junior position could not question the logic because of ‘kraeng-jai’ and thus, yet another piece of questionable policy was made regulation.

Typical of many ‘governments’ this policy [Pre-flight Covid-19 PCR tests] ’nearly’ gets it right. 

It would ‘get it right’ if everyone boarding a flight to Thailand had to take such a test. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Seems coincidentally that so many from different parts of the world are testing negative on arrival,  but positive whilst in quarantine, maybe these Government appointed quarantine hotels are not upto the cleaning standards, or people are mixing with infected people in the Hotels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't rule out that people are catching it from locals while in quarantine. So little testing in this country...seems difficult to be confident the negative people put into quarantine aren't being exposed while there. 

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-01..latest&country=USA~ITA~GBR~FRA~ESP~SGP~THA~KOR&testsMetric=true&interval=smoothed&perCapita=true&smoothing=7&pickerMetric=total_deaths&pickerSort=desc

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 10.24.38 PM.png

3 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

With the days gone by it's likely she caught it on the day of her departure - the plane being the most riskiest area due to Thai's not having to test to get on the flight, which is astonishingly absurd. 

Yes so true, Thais just need a health check to fly. Foreigner need a Covid test also. Double standard.

16 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Didn't I read that Thais on repatriation flights can board without a covid test beforehand, is was that an urban myth?

True, Thais only need a health certificate. No Covid test required. 

1 hour ago, Hippos said:

Yes so true, Thais just need a health check to fly. Foreigner need a Covid test also. Double standard.

According to the Thai constitution, a citizen cannot be denied entry to the country. A foreigner can be denied entry.

Which country does not have a double standard concerning right of entry for citizens vs non-citizens?

1 minute ago, thedemon said:

According to the Thai constitution, a citizen cannot be denied entry to the country. A foreigner can be denied entry.

Which country does not have a double standard concerning right of entry for citizens vs non-citizens?

Right. The current policy is a result of a legal challenge to an initial push to make everyone get a test, I think. 

So, on the practical level, since flights will be populated with people (Thais) who aren't tested...then, let's drop the need for foreigners to be tested, too and just test everyone once they get to quarantine. That would make sense. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, thedemon said:

I totally agree citizens cant be denied entry.