Oregon man says Portland shooting was self defense

webfact

Oregon man says Portland shooting was self defense

By Andrew Hay

2020-09-03T111250Z_1_LYNXMPEG820WU_RTROPTP_4_GLOBAL-RACE-PROTESTS-PORTLAND.JPG

Protesters face off with police near the North Precinct Portland Police Bureau during a demonstration against police violence and racial inequality in Portland, Oregon, U.S., September 2, 2020. REUTERS/Caitlin Ochs

(Reuters) - A 48-year-old Oregon man said he acted in self defense during the fatal shooting of a supporter of a right-wing group in Portland as he thought he and a friend would be stabbed, Vice News reported on Thursday.

"I had no choice. I mean, I, I had a choice. I could have sat there and watched them kill a friend of mine of color. But I wasn't going to do that," Michael Reinoehl said in a video interview published by Vice News about the Saturday shooting of Aaron Danielson, 39.

Reinoehl did not say he shot Danielson in the fragment of video shown by Vice News before the full interview is aired on Thursday night.

The Oregonian newspaper reported Reinoehl was under investigation in the killing that took place after Danielson, a supporter of the Patriot Prayer group, participated in a rally in support of President Donald Trump.

Portland police did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

President Donald Trump signed a memo on Wednesday that threatens to cut federal funding to "lawless" cities, including Seattle, Portland, New York and Washington. This report produced by Jonah Green.

Reinoehl, a self-declared anti-fascist, was active in Black Lives Matter demonstrations against racism and police brutality in Portland that have gone on for nearly 100 days, according to messages and videos on his Instagram feed.

He said in posts on Facebook and Instagram he was a professional snowboarder and a U.S. Army veteran and was prepared to fight "to change the course of humanity."

"I am 100% ANTIFA," he said in a June 16 post, using the term for the anti-fascist movement. "We truly have an opportunity right now to fix everything. But it will be a fight like no other! It will be a war and like all wars there will be casualties."

His Facebook page says he is from Gresham, Oregon, a community around 15 miles (24 km) east of Portland.

(Reporting by Andrew Hay; Editing by Leslie Adler and Bill Berkrot)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-04

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

Yeah, It’s trumps fault that antifa dude murdered a guy in a liberal safe haven and hasn’t been arrested yet even though the whole planet knew he did it within a day of the shooting and he’s got several illegal firearms charges in the past (which makes it illegal for him to even own, let alone carry a firearm in public spaces)....

So this is murder and the Kelosha guy was self defense 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

According to your article: "Reese Monson, a leader in the local protest movement who also helps organize security, said all the people who helped with security in Portland, including Reinoehl, were trained on de-escalation."

Sounds to me as if Reese Monson trained this killer and included him in the organization and that Reese, if not criminally liable, is at least personally liable for civil damages along with anyone else involved in the protest who worked with this guy.

Edited by John Drake
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Yeah, It’s trumps fault that antifa dude murdered a guy in a liberal safe haven and hasn’t been arrested yet even though the whole planet knew he did it within a day of the shooting and he’s got several illegal firearms charges in the past (which makes it illegal for him to even own, let alone carry a firearm in public spaces)....

You didnt seem so fast to label the white supremist a murderer, or any issues of him illegally having the gun or breaking curfew.

1 hour ago, Kelsall said:

The article gives some info about what happened that night.

"The man who captured video of the shooting, Justin Dunlap, said it appeared that Danielson reached to his hip.

“He pulled from his side, just like he was pulling a gun,” Dunlap said.

But in other video shot during the encounter, someone can be heard flagging that Danielson was pulling out a can of mace. “He’s Macing you, he’s pulling it out,” the person warned.

It appeared from the video that Danielson sprayed mace just as two gunshots could be heard, and Danielson went down."

Edited by candide