Importing a boat from Australia

Simon from Oz

As you say cars end up with nearly 300% duties etc....I think you'll find the same with boats.

You will notice that the range and numbers of boats available in Thailand is just utterly miserable.

Thanks in tried to liberalism the laws a bit, but marinas and mooring facilities are still pathetic....

There needs to be serious rethink on the laws governing importing, mooringand crewing of foreign boats. 

You'll need to register your boat a Thai as well.....my guess is you'll find it's more trouble than it's  worth ... 

• Confused 1

My first thought on the op is that a 27 foot cruiser is unlikely to fit into a shipping container due to width so would need to be either Ro-Ro (if that exists from Aus) or deck cargo which is expensive. Having said that, boats of that size and larger are imported to Thailand.

There are plenty of 16-20 foot Bayliners and similar for sale that have been imported 2nd hand from the US. I have looked at a couple and from quick back of an envelope calculations it seems to me that a boat that would go for USD8-10k in the US ends up for sale here at THB400-500k which isn't exorbitant so clearly they are being imported without large amounts of tax being paid. Several years ago I bought a 140hp Yamaha outboard from a Russian guy near Pattaya that was importing boats and engines from Japan. At the time I compared the price I paid to online prices in the US and though higher it was fair.

I have heard on the grape vine that though boats and boat motors only attract 7% VAT no import duty, Thai Customs can trip you up with all the ancillary equipment usually found on a 2nd hand boat which isn't duty-free.

In recent years a bunch of boat yards have popped up on the Chao Phraya, mostly in Nonthaburi but some also in Samut Prakarn. One area in particular in on Sananbinam Rd not far from the Ministry of Commerce which has a boat/jet ski club surrounded by several local marine dealers and repair shops. I have seen some quite impressive looking motor cruisers there.

At least one of them has a website: www.sbnboatmart.com. I suspect they might be prepared to handle the import and registration for you. Though all boats are supposed to have a Thai registration issued by the Marine dept. the majority of pleasure boats on the river in BKK are not registered. It might be a different situation on the sea, I don't know.

There are a lot more marine dealers in Pattaya/Phuket. I have no experience in those places but I'm sure you can google a few.

Disregarding the rather droll responses of bloggs and co, what I was pointing out, as the more intelligent members of TVF  realise , is that  any rules, laws, edicts that this government may enact, are interpreted at the whim of the individual official.  If some  wish to   give in to extortion, that is their business. I worked long, hard and honestly  for many years for my money. I see no reason why I should willingly hand it over to some corrupt  official.  And no, I didnt incur any medical expenses, I actually got  an apology, of sorts,  from the female   for breaking some of my property whilst ransacking    the boxes.  I wish  the member  wanting to import his  boat all the best, and good luck, just realise you  may face problems.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Disregarding the rather droll responses of bloggs and co, what I was pointing out, as the more intelligent members of TVF  realise , is that  any rules, laws, edicts that this government may enact, are interpreted at the whim of the individual official.  If some  wish to   give in to extortion, that is their business. I worked long, hard and honestly  for many years for my money. I see no reason why I should willingly hand it over to some corrupt  official.  And no, I didnt incur any medical expenses, I actually got  an apology, of sorts,  from the female   for breaking some of my property whilst ransacking    the boxes.  I wish  the member  wanting to import his  boat all the best, and good luck, just realise you  may face problems.

You spat on an official and she apologised....   Thats an astonishing turn around from the expected response !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I said no such thing........ I said may incur.

however it appears you headline refers to boats bought in Thailand - this is a pre=owned boat.

I also referred to the other regulations involved in using a foreign boat in Thai waters.

4 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

I said no such thing........ I said may incur.

however it appears you headline refers to boats bought in Thailand - this is a pre=owned boat.

I also referred to the other regulations involved in using a foreign boat in Thai waters.

What?

Both headlines refer to importing/bringing your boat to Thailand..

And once it's here its going to be registered here. Not a foreign rego. That's a different scenario with it's relevant conditions.. i.e. time in country limited.

2 hours ago, bobbin said:

What?

Both headlines refer to importing/bringing your boat to Thailand..

And once it's here its going to be registered here. Not a foreign rego. That's a different scenario with it's relevant conditions.. i.e. time in country limited.

TH9s is not importing and buying a new boat, it is imp[orting a foreign second hand boat

"In order to import the boat into Thailand, we must look at the tax incurred. Although the Customs duty is now set at 0%, value-added tax (VAT) of 7% must be paid on the CIF value of the vessel (cost + insurance + freight). The Customs officer has the right to question the declared value of the vessel, if he feels it is too low, and reject it. He is not required to accept the declared value even if it is supported by a Deed of Sale or receipt. If the vessel is not new, there may be room, however, to negotiate its value depending on the present condition of the boat."

TAs said Thaksin reduced duty but it didn't go far enough to encourage baots back to Thailand in any numbers

The problem hear is that a customs officer can decide whatever value he likes to put on the importing boat.

I think it is OK if you're not a Thaiu national...butthe rest is here.

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/bringing-your-yacht-to-thailand-the-legal-formalities-20594

Edited by Airbagwill

10 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

TH9s is not importing and buying a new boat, it is imp[orting a foreign second hand boat

"In order to import the boat into Thailand, we must look at the tax incurred. Although the Customs duty is now set at 0%, value-added tax (VAT) of 7% must be paid on the CIF value of the vessel (cost + insurance + freight). The Customs officer has the right to question the declared value of the vessel, if he feels it is too low, and reject it. He is not required to accept the declared value even if it is supported by a Deed of Sale or receipt. If the vessel is not new, there may be room, however, to negotiate its value depending on the present condition of the boat."

TAs said Thaksin reduced duty but it didn't go far enough to encourage baots back to Thailand in any numbers

The problem hear is that a customs officer can decide whatever value he likes to put on the importing boat.

I think it is OK if you're not a Thaiu national...butthe rest is here.

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/bringing-your-yacht-to-thailand-the-legal-formalities-20594

Actually what you said is this.

As you say cars end up with nearly 300% duties etc....I think you'll find the same with boats.

There is no import duty on boats, only 7% VAT. 

BTW, customs officers around the world have discretion to accept or not accept an importers stated invoice value. There is nothing unique about Thailand in that regard.

• Like 1

Does the boat have an inboard engine. If so you only pay 7% Vat no import duty. However if fitted with an outboard, the engine is valued separately to the boat and duty is payable on the engine. I have also heard that the trailers are subject to import duty, 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 7:27 AM, HAPPYNUFF said:

Best of luck on this...        Some years ago I had air freighted to Thailand  9  boxes of personal effects, total  freight cost $750. I had printed off  Thai  regulations   re customs duties, in both English and Thai.  When I went to collect the boxes, I was "informed"  I had to pay 20,000 baht. No reason wa given.  I refused, and pointed out the regulations that I did not, given my Visa status applying.  I then asked to speak to the senior officer at  Customs.   Lovely fat ,gross female, with a magnificent moustache.

She looked through  all paperwork, grunted, and demanded  I pay 40,000 baht.  I asked to borrow her cigarette lighter, have my 9 boxes  placed in vacant land nearby, as I intended to burn the lot, rather than they get their thieving hands on them.  I was promptly offered discount price of 10,000 baht. In disgust  threw  the money at fatty. No receipt offered or given. Went downstairs to find some  female officer tearing my boxes apart.  I suggested to her she desist, or I would remove her head from her shoulders.She demanded 3000 baht. I threw 2000 at her feet, and while she was  grovelling around on the ground picking it up, gave her a free slime ball on her head ..I was  rather p....d off by this time. Since that date, my opinion of Thai officialdom has deteriorated even further.     So go to it, bring lots of money, you will need it.

Thanks for that.

Now back to reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, andygrr said:

Does the boat have an inboard engine. If so you only pay 7% Vat no import duty. However if fitted with an outboard, the engine is valued separately to the boat and duty is payable on the engine. I have also heard that the trailers are subject to import duty, 

Trailers are registered as a road vehicle in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 7:27 AM, HAPPYNUFF said:

Best of luck on this...        Some years ago I had air freighted to Thailand  9  boxes of personal effects, total  freight cost $750. I had printed off  Thai  regulations   re customs duties, in both English and Thai.  When I went to collect the boxes, I was "informed"  I had to pay 20,000 baht. No reason wa given.  I refused, and pointed out the regulations that I did not, given my Visa status applying.  I then asked to speak to the senior officer at  Customs.   Lovely fat ,gross female, with a magnificent moustache.

She looked through  all paperwork, grunted, and demanded  I pay 40,000 baht.  I asked to borrow her cigarette lighter, have my 9 boxes  placed in vacant land nearby, as I intended to burn the lot, rather than they get their thieving hands on them.  I was promptly offered discount price of 10,000 baht. In disgust  threw  the money at fatty. No receipt offered or given. Went downstairs to find some  female officer tearing my boxes apart.  I suggested to her she desist, or I would remove her head from her shoulders.She demanded 3000 baht. I threw 2000 at her feet, and while she was  grovelling around on the ground picking it up, gave her a free slime ball on her head ..I was  rather p....d off by this time. Since that date, my opinion of Thai officialdom has deteriorated even further.     So go to it, bring lots of money, you will need it.

Some years ago I airfreighted a air-container full of personal items and later a 4o foot sea-container with furniture, household goods, etc. (no electronics, no booze, though) and did not pay one Baht...

25 minutes ago, fak119 said:

Some years ago I airfreighted a air-container full of personal items and later a 4o foot sea-container with furniture, household goods, etc. (no electronics, no booze, though) and did not pay one Baht...

Is that because you threatened to set fire to your goods, threw money on the floor, threatened to remove someone's head from their shoulders and then spat at the customs lady?  I hear normally if you just spit at them they apologise and let your goods though.  Can't remember where I heard that - think it was some anonymous bloke on a forum - but sure it is true.

Your story of being polite, respectful, doing things properly and not being charged WITHOUT spitting on anyone sounds very hard to believe!!