Those with Thai GF, how are you managing the separation anxiety?

Thaidude

I got married in January, a week after the wedding I had to fly back home for work. I booked flights to go back in April and August which obviously didn't happen. All in all I've spent 6 days with my newly betrothed in the past 8 months !!

I don't see Thailands borders opening up (in any meaningful way) this year so am working on a tourist visa for her to come to visit the UK. Incidentally, I assume their are flights out of Thailand ?

I left my GF and Thailand in February this year and have not been back due to the covid situation and the fact I am not married or have no children there. I talk to my GF every day in the morning and in the evening and am not sure at this point when I'll be back. For now that's the best we can do. 

I see some married people that complain about being away and I certainly understand how difficult it is emotionally but at least they have an avenue to return due to marriage and\or children.  I think many of those may have existed on border runs and short term visas and maybe they will reconsider that approach and convert to whatever appropriate long term visa works for their situation as this virus will be with the world for quite some time and there may be others to follow making life without a long term visa more difficult. 

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

I left my GF and Thailand in February this year and have not been back due to the covid situation and the fact I am not married or have no children there. I talk to my GF every day in the morning and in the evening and am not sure at this point when I'll be back. For now that's the best we can do. 

I see some married people that complain about being away and I certainly understand how difficult it is emotionally but at least they have an avenue to return due to marriage and\or children.  I think many of those may have existed on border runs and short term visas and maybe they will reconsider that approach and convert to whatever appropriate long term visa works for their situation as this virus will be with the world for quite some time and there may be others to follow making life without a long term visa more difficult. 

One of the things that pisses me off is not being able to renew my extension as it’s taken a few years to get to his point. ( I work so out of the country ) As of yet the Thai Gov has shown no interest in anyone on a Long term Visa, more interested in how they can make a quick buck so even having one means nothing. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My girlfriend went home to Thailand from Australia in March. Didn't mind for a while as we normally spend time apart. They've just announced here months more of lockdown with no flights to Thailand in sight so it's getting old. Talking on line each day is something but that gets old too. Miss the holidays..miss the fun..long time between...drinks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I got married in January, a week after the wedding I had to fly back home for work. I booked flights to go back in April and August which obviously didn't happen. All in all I've spent 6 days with my newly betrothed in the past 8 months !!

I don't see Thailands borders opening up (in any meaningful way) this year so am working on a tourist visa for her to come to visit the UK. Incidentally, I assume their are flights out of Thailand ?

..but not back

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They'll last as long as you keep sending the money.

But isn't that money a fairly compelling incentive for them not to tell you that the relationship is, in fact, as far as they are concerned, over?

I think the point of proof will be when these long-separated couples are re-united and try to find their previous flow and ease with one another. Any money you may have sent won't count for much at that stage. It will either work or it won't.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Currently stuck in UK away from the wife of 5 years and daughter. Currently I managing OK, though trying to support one household and a bed and breakfast is not cheap. 

Couple of years ago, my tenant stopped paying me, and as I basically used that money to live with the wife, we had no income so had to return to the UK. Luckily for me - definitely not for him - my tenant was in hospital and died soon, so I go the house back quickly. The the drug fueled , fraudulent lying hippie had wrecked the house, broken windows, holes in the doors and walls, literally sh** everywhere as the front door had been open for 12 days. I had no income, and if you have ever been on uni credit, you'll understand why it took a year to do the house up and find a new responsible tenant.

So, away now for 5 months is not as bad as the previous 12 so far. 

Then - as now - we use facebook to talk as much as possible, chat to my daughter, etc - though I sure hope FB never get moderators on live chat if you know what I mean  ????  I missed my daughters first day at school, but what can you do ? 

I have to think positive and as it is my intention to bring the family here in a few years anyway, i have to think of this time as addition credit for the marriage visa with immigration. Every day is another day to show immigration !

I would say that what this whole thing has shown is that Thailand is NOT really an option moving forwards with my family and wife. There is no reason this will not happen again in a year or so , just as we go back to normal. Personally I have to travel back to the UK every 9 months , so even if I did get in though the hoops and expensive quarantine, I;d have to do it potentially again later. 

I would say, time to start planning your life more, and thinking hard IS Thailand good for you and your g/f. 

Lastly, and I hate to worry you, my wife a school teacher, has a best new friend of a married bar girl (our daughters play together b4 you ask) and from what I gather from the wife, every one of her new friends bar girl friends and family with men abroad have all moved onto men currently here ! 

On the subject of renting , you might do better selling the house and getting 2 studio flats instead.

That way , you only have 1 room to worry about and the external of the property is taken care of. Should you get a bad tennant you only have the one room to put straight. Also, the rent from 2 studios would probably be more than the rent for a house.

• Like 2