Brexit back in crisis as UK threatens to undercut divorce pact

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

My version is when Boris has the europhiles running around like headless chickens, the man is doing something right and Barnier is the wrong man for such an important job, maybe why he is being side stepped.

I think Barnier is/was the right man for the job, but he had been given a near impossible task to relieve the UK of it's 100% sovereignty..

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

My version is when Boris has the europhiles running around like headless chickens, the man is doing something right and Barnier is the wrong man for such an important job, maybe why he is being side stepped.

So the E. U. Send Frost a side stepped E.U. person to negotiate ....i think you dont know how to read news papers .....they just made it clear not to give ground..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

facts please or just your creative imagination

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

facts please or just your creative imagination

No need for the patronising remark, although after nearly 4 years of it, I should be used to it.

"European Union chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier is set to be sidelined by EU leaders in a bid to get a breakthrough in the negotiations about a trade treaty with the UK.

Representatives of the bloc’s 27 member states expect Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, to pave the way for heads of state and government to intervene in the deadlocked talks in a September 16 flagship speech."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/04/exclusive-michel-barnier-sidelined-eu-leaders-bid-break-brexit/

17 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

always 2 versions to a fact....but as always, easy to blame the other side """ it's no me, it's them""" 555

Isn't that exactly what the Remainers are doing?

This amendment reminds me of someone doing 71 mph in a 70 zone. Is it technically illegal? Yes

Does anyone care? Only the vindictive, bitter individuals who dislike the person driving.

Anyway the Withdrawal Act that put the bill in states that Parliament is sovereign. If they can enact the bill they can change it. Maybe ????.

Anyway, the EU have broken the agreement already by refusing to act in good faith. So now the UK will break it. Tit for Tat.

There's an easy out for the EU. Sign a Canada style agreement like they hinted at while writing the withdrawal agreement. Everyone's a winner. Will they grow up and sign it or will they cut off their nose to spite their face? Time will tell. The EU are a spiteful bunch so maybe they'll stick firm and create yet another problem for their failing protectionist racket.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

No need for the patronising remark, although after nearly 4 years of it, I should be used to it.

"European Union chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier is set to be sidelined by EU leaders in a bid to get a breakthrough in the negotiations about a trade treaty with the UK.

Representatives of the bloc’s 27 member states expect Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, to pave the way for heads of state and government to intervene in the deadlocked talks in a September 16 flagship speech."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/04/exclusive-michel-barnier-sidelined-eu-leaders-bid-break-brexit/

let's wait and see

12 minutes ago, transam said:

I think Barnier is/was the right man for the job, but he had been given a near impossible task to relieve the UK of it's 100% sovereignty..

wrong....  hey got the task to stand guard the basket of cherries not become plundered by the English raiders …..

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

So international law does not apply to the UK?

Nope. We left the international community on January 1st. Now we're just a lonely little island floating aimlessly in the Atlantic. Did you ever watch "Lost"? We are that island, not on any maps, invisible to the uninitiated.

"We want to be alone"

Edited by polpott

5 minutes ago, RayC said:

So international law does not apply to the UK?

Only when it fits them English ,???? as the U.K. is populated by many other peoples let us see how those go vote before generalizing Brits….???? as seen now  by so many ashamed reactions , they are not all "Borisians "????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Only when it fits them English ,???? as the U.K. is populated by many other peoples let us see how those go vote before generalizing Brits….???? as seen now  by so many ashamed reactions , they are not all "Borisians "????

Nearly all. Had an election last year. The Blonde Bimbo won by a landslide.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, polpott said:

Nearly all. Had an election last year. The Blonde Bimbo won by a landslide.

I meant voting or presentation this afternoon in HOC (I presume... ) about latest "braindrain" from Boris about a law breaking int. treaty deliberately  

Edited by david555

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

The UK is a constitutional monarchy but the Queen is 'above politics'. She is duty bound to sign legislation placed before her. I imagine that a similar situation exists in Belgium and the Netherlands? The major difference, of course, is that the governments of Belgium and the Netherlands abide by international law so would not place the monarch in such an embarrassing position.

Prorogation of Parliament? She could have refused.

26 minutes ago, david555 said:

I meant voting or presentation this afternoon in HOC (I presume... ) about latest "braindrain" from Boris about a law breaking int. treaty deliberately  

He has a parliamentary majority of 80. At least 40 of his own would have to vote against him. Not going to happen.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

He has a parliamentary majority of 80. At least 40 of his own would have to vote against him. Not going to happen.

a big number but not enough to win against him would already a nice symbolic gesture …. 

BTW I think the E.U. is only waiting what go result in that , to take their official stance …. as about rumors reacting official is a not advisable action …. so  we shall wait and see ….

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1