Brexit back in crisis as UK threatens to undercut divorce pact

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

They won't be battling it out. Boris doesn't get to choose if the IRA choose to bomb the mainland, which they will if it all kicks off. You really don't have a clue.

Give one good reason  why the IRA would want to get involved...clueless

Boris if you follow it through,wants shut of Ireland

8 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Give one good reason  why the IRA would want to get involved...clueless

Boris if you follow it through,wants shut of Ireland

If the Good Friday agreement is breached, which it's almost certain to do if Boris instigates Cummings' new plan, it will kick off again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Is threatening to break the law by reneging on a deal you signed an ‘unpleasant political tendency’ ? 

but you’re right the world will indeed be looking on at a future untrustworthy trading partner 

Parliament’s ability to pass provisions that would take precedence over the Withdrawal Agreement was expressly confirmed in section 38 of the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020, with specific reference to the EU law concept of ‘direct effect’.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, polpott said:

You obviously weren't around for the troubles last time around. The IRA most certainly will involve England, not England's choice. Remember the Birmingham pub bombing? Remember the Manchester Arndale bomb? How about the Brighton bomb which nearly wiped out the Tory party?

Republicans bombed targets in England because we had British troops on the border, no? I think the previous poster was suggesting we let the Irish fight amongst each other without the involvement of British troops. But I guess that would only be possible if NI voted to reunify Ireland. Which can't be far off. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

So the US Congress categorically stating the U.K. can forget all about a trade deal should they breach international law as mooted fits with your ‘global outlook’ how ? 

Yep, the Democrats are at it again. This took me right back to the Obama "back of the queue" days.

I hope this Nancy Pelosi warning simply strengthens the UK government's resolve, the same way Obama's warning strengthened the Brexit vote.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

The reason that the EU has failed to do a free-trade deal with the US, China, India, and now Britain is that in all cases it tries to use the negotiations to enhance its power and hegemony to a degree unacceptable to sovereign nations. 

Fascinating - tell us how please. Specifics would be good just to show everyone it’s not a statement based on nothing at all. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

In your opinion - anyone with the tiniest smudge of economic nouse would never have felt shackled. 

Give us a run down of the trade deals in the can please ....

Yes, because it's a forum for opinions. The majority of the referendum voters felt it. Perhaps the economic mouses don't have much feeling.

Go do your own trade deals homework. I can't keep up with them all, more coming in every week.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, polpott said:

If the Good Friday agreement is breached, which it's almost certain to do if Boris instigates Cummings' new plan, it will kick off again.

You have knowledge of this?  duh

The only things of (non) importance here is you yourself, talking yourself in circles,the irish knuckleheads thinking they are important enough to chain themselves forever to the UK,and the EU who are to inherit quite a large dump

7 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Yep, the Democrats are at it again. This took me right back to the Obama "back of the queue" days.

I hope this Nancy Pelosi warning simply strengthens the UK government's resolve, the same way Obama's warning strengthened the Brexit vote.  

You do mean Cameron don't you?

https://news.sky.com/story/cameron-personally-requested-obamas-back-of-the-queue-brexit-warning-11423669

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Republicans bombed targets in England because we had British troops on the border, no? I think the previous poster was suggesting we let the Irish fight amongst each other without the involvement of British troops. But I guess that would only be possible if NI voted to reunify Ireland. Which can't be far off. 

If Cummings proposals are implemented, it would necessitate custom checks on the NI-Eire border ie a hard border which would be attacked by the IRA and on and on.

39 minutes ago, polpott said:

If Cummings proposals are implemented, it would necessitate custom checks on the NI-Eire border ie a hard border which would be attacked by the IRA and on and on.

Not convinced the provisionals would actually restart their terror campaign. 

They will get what they want, a unified Ireland, far quicker and easier at the ballot box. 

There will always be a hard corp of unionists but they are not the majority. 

• Like 2