Thai alcohol sellers petition against online sales ban

webfact

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand, where the legal age to consume alcohol is 20, already has some of the strictest alcohol laws in the region, prohibiting sales in specific areas such as near schools and limits the hours stores can sell alcohol.

:cheesy:

I only want one law chance! Sell beer in gas stations! If you sell that 30 meters away station you can sell that 7/11 in station also!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Yet another indication of a dysfunctional society and therefore, economy.

This time of crisis is the opportunity to change things up.

Proof, if it was needed, that the powers that be are only interested in maintaining the status quo, protecting vested interests and the status and power of oligarchs/monopolies.

Given the admitted need to revamp the economy and support SMEs, a truly pathetic move.

My goodness, I hope they get what’s coming to them.

Edited by realfunster
Elaboration.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, greeneking said:

As a side issue, given the demand for a better quality product, why do Chang, Singha et al only market new brands which are similarly poor instead of blowing the competition out of the water with a truly good, though more expensive, beer.

Well Singha have tried that with their Est 33 Craft Beer Brew Pubs.  Supposedly higher end (more expensive) craft beers which are brewed on site in their pubs.  Quite popular with trendy Thais but never going to be mass market given that 90% of the drinking market consists of rural Thais.

They also sell some of their "craft beers" in 7-Eleven now but not that popular - Thailand is not that market.  

34 minutes ago, greeneking said:

Taking my time to be reasonable and understanding their desire to curb underage and irresponsible drinking I would like to ask this question.

How seriously have they been prosecuting drunk drivers, underage drinkers or those shops that sold to them?

As a side issue, given the demand for a better quality product, why do Chang, Singha et al only market new brands which are similarly poor instead of blowing the competition out of the water with a truly good, though more expensive, beer.

No incentive, Thais are not really bothered about beer, if they drink Leo, one of the worst beers in the world IMO, why bother trying to change them? Tried giving Thais some of the best beers, they just prefer bland pee water.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Well Singha have tried that with their Est 33 Craft Beer Brew Pubs.  Supposedly higher end (more expensive) craft beers which are brewed on site in their pubs.  Quite popular with trendy Thais but never going to be mass market given that 90% of the drinking market consists of rural Thais.

They also sell some of their "craft beers" in 7-Eleven now but not that popular - Thailand is not that market.  

160 baht for a small bottle.  Far more in a bar...they do not have to be so expensive if they are the big players.

100 baht for a big bottle and they can do something quality surely?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

So why don't you tell me what the online sales figures are for Singha & co as you seem to know so much.  The "big boys" own 94% of the market, the Craft market is around 1%, so who hurts most financially from an online ban?  The big boys lose the most revenue by far and won't take that easily.  Remember people saying the same about the alcohol ban during Covid?  It was orchestrated by the big boys to run the small guys out of business.  Nonsense.  It was the big boys campaigning to have that overturned and it will be just the same now.

If the big boys see a genuine threat they will generally just buy them.  Heineken own close to 100 craft beer brands and no one knows, they just quietly bought them up. They don't run to the government to ban something that will hurt them more.

Again, this ban is borne of stupidity, nothing more.  Stop looking for conspiracies.

Sure, https://www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.com/export/sites/trade/files/market_studies/Studie Beer Market in Thailand.pdf

At present, the online market for premium beers represents only 2-3%

That's including the craft beers, which are likely the bulk of it. 

There's a clear, long established and defined pattern whenever a new competitor enters the market. Hit them with a hammer and make them go away. The big ones won't lose anything, somchai will just go to 7-11. F.ex. Pattaya Beer, of which I happened to be the first retail customer of. Vanished into thin air after they grew a bit too big. I was also at the 'launch party' at Cape Dara, with the mayor & other suits. Obviously started to make too much noise and got eliminated.

If Samarn was still hanging around I'd buy the "bad decision" theory, but no, this is just a move to block competitors.

• Like 2

We do have to laugh when al these alcohol bans come in.  In all my years here in Bangkok, even on the no alcohol days, there was always somewhere to go for a beer...and there is always someone ready to sell you a beer.  So, I don't see the need for ordering online...unless you want it delivered to your door - if you don;t have a vehicle to go and collect it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Yep. All about handing the business over from the small businesses to the large retail outlets and the large beer manufacturers. That big army boot is stomping on the little guy again.

It's policies like these that helped Thailand rise from number 3 to number 1 in the world for wealth inequality since the coup.

The Junta are really bringing happiness to the people. Well, the top 0.1% anyway. 

What does it have to do with the army? Like it or not - it's government policies. 

In 2001 the Taksin administration has decided to strongly enforce the official closing time of night entertainment venues (bars, clubs, pubs etc' which has always been midnight - 2am depending on the type of license, but never been enforced before). During that time he himself purchased land parcels at Ratchadapisek area, and the plan was to designate "special entertainment zones" with different closing times. Care to guess where was supposed to be the zone for all night openings? 

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I agree the law is stupid but it is driven by stupidity alone.  Craft beer suppliers are no threat to the big boys.  The big boys have much more to lose by the ban than gain from it - how many pallets of beer do you think Tops, Tesco, Big C sell online each week?  A huge amount!  This ban hurts them too.

You think Wishbeer is a threat to Singha so Singha had this done?  Think about it for a moment instead of being hysterical.  Wishbeer can adapt to a different model and keep selling their expensive pretentious rubbish, they'll adapt.

And imported wines are the enemy of what, local Thai wines?  Don't be ridiculous.

So many people are so quick to see a conspiracy even when the conspiracy makes no sense.  This is simply a stupid decision made by stupid people, just like banning booze on trains, or banning booze between 2-5pm.

If you have 1% of the market and they have 99% that doesn't stop them from wanting your 1%.

It's not a conspiracy. 

• Like 2