Brexit brinkmanship: EU orders UK to scrap plan for treaty breach, UK refuses

webfact

8 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I live permanently in Thailand. 

I know how much Baht I receive for my Euro. 

I have no idea how much I should receive if Belgium was out of the E.U., and still dealing in Belgian Franc. 

Being a small country, with a lot of political problems, and not that great economy, I think it wouldn't be that great. 

The GBP lost 5 baht on voting to leave. Since the announcement of the UK governments intentions last week, the GBP has been in freefall.

50 baht+ before the referendum. 40 baht today. GBP/Euro 1.43 December 2015, 1.08 today.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Really. 6th largest economy in the world. Only one of 2 European nations with nuclear armaments.

You seriously underrate us.

Nuclear weapons are only good as a Doomsday device. Your military was quite good. Nicely trained and disciplined. Could it defeat Iran, India, or Pakistan?  Probably not. Might take out the Egyptians. But would lose to the Israelis. The UK does make excellent television programming, especially the older things from 30 to 50 years ago.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Nuclear weapons are only good as a Doomsday device. Your military was quite good. Nicely trained and disciplined. Could it defeat Iran, India, or Pakistan?  Probably not. Might take out the Egyptians. But would lose to the Israelis. The UK does make excellent television programming, especially the older things from 30 to 50 years ago.

555 "Could it defeat Iran, India, or Pakistan?" with one hand tied behind our backs. Israelis no problem either if the Americans don't come to their aid. What country are you from?

Edited by polpott

On 9/11/2020 at 4:40 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

International negotiations move very slowly in order to get things right because it is absolutely vital that a country keep its word. Countries that don't keep their word include North Korea, for example.

If the UK doesn't keep its word in these negotiations, then why would anyone expect them to keep their word in any other future negotiations? If other countries don't believe that the UK will keep its word, then why would they negotiate with the UK at all? 

All those 'magical' trade deals the Brexiteers claimed would save the UK? Up in smoke. 

This is the single dumbest move I have ever seen.

Seriously, the dumbest.

Like the US with the Paris Accord, or the Iran deal, or NAFTA, or...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I live permanently in Thailand. 

I know how much Baht I receive for my Euro. 

I have no idea how much I should receive if Belgium was out of the E.U., and still dealing in Belgian Franc. 

Being a small country, with a lot of political problems, and not that great economy, I think it wouldn't be that great. 

And therein is the issue. Belgium is a small country, with a small economy, but being a significant member of the EU, including one (of two headquarters ????) of the EU, it has wielded undue power over member states, who resent it. There was a chance to reform the EU, but of course vested interests could not allow it. Ergo, Britain has left.

41 minutes ago, polpott said:

Anyone who realizes that leaving such a large trading block to go it alone is a very bad idea has the smarts. The rest, not so much.

What a great argument, if people agree with you, they're smart. 

So the large trading houses tend to provide the best results? 

Edited by Yellowtail
ww
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, samtam said:

Like the US with the Paris Accord, or the Iran deal, or NAFTA, or...

US never signed the Paris Accord, but lost serious rep points for not doing so. Disgusting really. The Iran deal worked perfectly. Trump cancelled it, against all advice, due to his personal jingoism. Trump cancelled NAFTA then replaced it by something almost identical.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, polpott said:

The GBP lost 5 baht on voting to leave. Since the announcement of the UK governments intentions last week, the GBP has been in freefall.

50 baht+ before the referendum. 40 baht today. GBP/Euro 1.43 December 2015, 1.08 today.

So Brexit is creating an unexpected convergence effect between the UK and the Eurozone. ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

You would need the US to transport you there or just about any place else, unless you're planning on invading Scotland.

Managed to get the 8,000 miles to the Falklands OK, trounced the Argies then sailed back again. You still haven't said where you are from. Are you embarrassed by your country?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

US never signed the Paris Accord, but lost serious rep points for not doing so. Disgusting really. The Iran deal worked perfectly. Trump cancelled it, against all advice, due to his personal jingoism. Trump cancelled NAFTA then replaced it by something almost identical.

Fair dinkum, on my inaccurate information, but my point was simply that agreements have been broken, and or amended, and the world goes on.  It's not an ideal scenario, but anyone who thinks the Withdrawal Agreement was fair to UK is delusional, (although I know you're not suggesting that). The Treaty of Versailles didn't age well either.

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Managed to get the 8,000 miles to the Falklands OK, trounced the Argies then sailed back again. You still haven't said where you are from. Are you embarrassed by your country?

Falklands was almost four decades ago. The veterans of that war are retired by now. Here is a four year old article about the Royal Navy. Since its publication, the British fleet has contracted by yet another dozen vessels, I think. You haven't got enough sealift these days to invade Greenland. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uk-military-navy-commentary/commentary-what-the-u-s-should-learn-from-britains-dying-navy-idUSKCN10L1AD

• Like 1

Just now, John Drake said:

Falklands was almost four decades ago. The veterans of that war are retired by now. Here is a four year old article about the Royal Navy. Since its publication, the British fleet has contracted by yet another dozen vessels, I think. You haven't got enough sealift these days to invade Greenland. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uk-military-navy-commentary/commentary-what-the-u-s-should-learn-from-britains-dying-navy-idUSKCN10L1AD

Still not saying where you are from? OK, let me guess, American citizen of German birth.

Jeez mate you've started wars with the Brits twice and got hammered twice. Do you never learn?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

The E.U. seems to be  very selective.

:cheesy: You do have a sense of humour after all.  Just look at all the countries in the EU that contribute. When the UK leaves it will make room for Turkey and some other wonderful nations.

Good that so far it didn't, in no way, change my daily life as a  Belgian pensionner.

Are you talking about that pension again.:passifier:

Well not really, there was a huge change : the implementation of the Euro. 

You got there in the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, polpott said:

Another keyboard warrior that has to have multiple pseudo names either because they are banned or they just enjoy trolling. No doubt an expert on British life and of course Brexit. If he was British he/she would have said it, no matter what is said now. You are wasting your time pal.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Victornoir said:

You gotta get out of your island education, man, and learn history from the right sources.

Actually I learnt from people who were there. Family.

11 hours ago, Victornoir said:

But they were not the ones who defeated the Nazi army. It was the Russians.

So I guess it was the Russians who pushed the Germans back from France.

Please read my signature as it is very relevant to you.

1 hour ago, samtam said:

Britain has left.

I understand this. I have personally no problems/interest the U.K. left. 

If Belgium decide to leave tomorrow, fair enough. 

I just want things to be the same for me, as they are now;

meaning I haven't any notion of changes in my daily life from before Belgium was member, and now being part of. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

:cheesy: You do have a sense of humour after all.  Just look at all the countries in the EU that contribute. When the UK leaves it will make room for Turkey and some other wonderful nations.

Are you talking about that pension again.:passifier:

You got there in the end.

I don't care which country will leave or join the E.U. in the future. I don't have any say in it. 

Pension is a very important subject in my daily life, but not the only one. 

To talk about pensions is very common for us, the amount received is very common as well. 

Some of us pensionners, are jalous that other countries in Europe receive more than us.

Belgium being somewhere in the middle of the European pension dividends, I am satisfied. 

The U.K. being the last of the list, I understand the vexation.

The word "pension" is like a red flag to a bull for some. 

But again the anger shouldn't be adressed to the ones with a normal pension in Europe, but to the U.K. government for ignoring their elderly/veteran. 

The implementation of the Euro brought a lot of headache for many, in the beginning. 

I learned to live with it. 

Here again I don't have any say in it. 

If there will be, which I doubt, a vote in the future to leave or not the E.U. for us Belgians, I will have to know exactly what the pro & contra will be. 

Belgians are not that nationalist, we have 3 communities with 3 different languages. 

So a new passport won't be enough for me, and many others. 

But I can understand that every country is not the same. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, samtam said:

Fair dinkum, on my inaccurate information, but my point was simply that agreements have been broken, and or amended, and the world goes on.  It's not an ideal scenario, but anyone who thinks the Withdrawal Agreement was fair to UK is delusional, (although I know you're not suggesting that). The Treaty of Versailles didn't age well either.

But Boris said it was a great deal, only needed 3 days viewing by Parliament, oven ready 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Tis the Irirash 'ere       there were 80   take 30 away  from 80   duh 50  duh  duh

Who become the opposition, who therefore have thirty more...duh duh duh 

Let me explain basic maths to you, for every vote Johnson loses, the opposition gains one, so if Johnson loses 10 supporters in reality his majority is cut by 20.

So if he loses 30 votes, his majority is cut by 60. 

And lets not forget, it is you who said the 30 are now opposition.

LMAO

Edited by Bluespunk
Explaining basic maths to Brexiteers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1