anyone had a stent fitted?

bert bloggs

Sorry, my experience was 2015 Chiang Mai RAM. Stent, plus two angioplasties. Then after being released, had a mini stroke at the end of the week (cleared within 2 hours). Total for the week, all in 411,000 baht. Result of scar tissue build up at sites of my 2005 five by-passes..

Edited by wwest5829
  • Thanks 2

On 9/23/2020 at 10:16 AM, bert bloggs said:

Thanks for the info all ,i had a by pass ,a long long time ago in the UK ,i know i had blockages again back in 2001 when when i had the tests ,an angiogram back in the UK ,a few days ago i was really bad ,thought the end was nigh ,now feel great again ,walking for half an hour this morning no problem ,anyway am going to hospital tomorrow ,for a check up.

I've had 4 stents, luckily I get my meds for free! I'm a little confused about all the drugs you have to take. I only have to take Clopidogrel (Plavix) one 75 mg a day...that's it! All of my stents were put in in Australia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wardp said:

I had a stent fitted 10yr ago drug eluting I was on plavix for one yr I'm now only on aspirin 81mg plus a statin for cholesterol.

I also had a stent fitted 12 years ago and was also on Plavix for a year, and have been on the following meds (Atorvastatin 40mg) Cholesterol with my LDL being the same since 2015 i.e. 2.0 mmlo/L.

Last visit to my Cardiologist in October, he prescribed me an additional tablet (Ezetimibe 10mg) stating that he wanted my LDL under 2.0 mmlo/L, the goal was to be under 1.7 mmlo/L, it is now down to 1.2 mmlo/L.

I have also been taking (Irbersartan 150mg) for blood pressure even though I have never had high blood pressure, last reading was 68/107. I also take an aspirin (Cartia 100mg).

As I usually get my meds back in Oz which are government subsidised, looks like that isn't going to happen because I cannot fly there unless I want to quarantine for 14 nights, same applying to get back, so have been doing some research to find them here and I know that is going to be painful, e.g. around 2,750 baht per month for the same meds ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

On 9/22/2020 at 9:47 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Think it was 225,000bt for one left coronary drug eluting stent that was 6 years ago the drugs you have to take for life are fairly cheap except the one you have to take for the first year cant remember name but its an eye watering £220 a box from memory good luck ???? 

Plavix  one year only blood thinners 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 10:26 AM, Sheryl said:

Have you been told you need a stent? Angiogram is required to tell this.

Cost varies with number of stents. At a government hospital, about 30K for the angiogram then 150 - 200K per stent plus doctor fees, room charge etc.

Queen Sirikit is rather small and would nto be my choice for this if in fact they can do it. (Needs a cardiac cath lab)

Bangkok Hospital, Hua Hin about BT 300,000 include stent two nights and everything. Very good heart doctor seems about the same price as the government hospital that you quoted

27 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

I get Entresto at Siam Pharmacy in Korat for 2800 for 100 mg I only need 500 I cut in two compared to BKK hospital 9500b , Siam is Incredible pharmacy and Huge has two in Korat , Run don’t walk , Entresto in USA 1000 dollars a month Siam 50 bucks 

Thanks for the info.. I am covered by the Gov Employee Health plan and get my meds free. I take 200 mg of Entresto twice a day.

On 9/24/2020 at 4:34 PM, Sheryl said:

The go-to doc for this IMO is in Bangkok. If you are willing to travel:

https://www.bch.in.th/find-doctor/doctor-profile/?smid=4730

Same doc can also be seen at Chula (govt hospital) but of course that takes more time, long waits etc

I can certainly also recomend Dr Taworn, he was recommended to me by Sheryl when I needed a second stent after l suffered a heart attack in Singapore and a first stent was fitted after I was resucitaed, I have been seeing him at the Bangkok Christian Hospital for some six years now, he is really good and very thorough, he has a great personality.

It was always my plan to return to the UK for treatment should I become ill. but having a heart attack in the middle of the night whilst on a long weekend in Singpore rather prevented that option, thankfully my wife, then my girlfriend, was with me and she got me to hospital in time to save my life and. after she paid a hefty deposit on our credit card, a stent was fitted, and I was discharged a couple of weeks later with a final bill of SGD28,000, we stayed with friends for a couple of weeks, and then returned to Bangkok.

The Doctor in Singapore said I'd need a second stent, though added my body wouldn't take a second operation so quickly so advised that I should have it done in Bangkok, where it would be substantially cheaper.

After the consultation with Dr Taworn he arranged for the procedure to be carried out at Chulalongkorn Hospital though I stayed in the Bangkok Christian, I can't find the invoice but I think it was a tad under 130,000 Baht.

It's worth keeping in mind that treatment in the UK by the NHS isn't really an option for those of us living in Thailand, since they changed the rules, those who cannot prove that they are legally resident in the UK are charged 150% of the actual cost of non emergency treatment, and NHS Trusts are obliged by law to check patients residence status, though some Trusts will be more robust than others. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mansell said:

Check out Siam Pharmacy in Korat for good prices on meds.

But it all depends on where you live.

Korat is about 350 to 400 km away.

The pharmacy that I use is at Nakhon Sawan which is about 125 km away and I haven't been there for about 3 years.

I send him an email of what I need, transfer the amount into his business account, and depending on the time they will sent to me by EMS, usually the following day and the postie delivers them.

It saves me time and money for diesel.

5 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

About 20 minutes for the test, then when we could see the blockage, about 65-70%,

Do not believe doctor would have done with only 30-35% as standard is to be over 70% blockage for stents.  At least that was the policy at hospital here 9 years ago that I used and check on internet appears it is still current. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

There was a second blockage that was only maybe 30-35%. He suggested just medication for that. In hindsight I wish I would have asked him to stent that too, as at that point the only extra cost is the stent. If later I need to have that one done I have to go through the whole thing again. More cost, more time.

As the poster above my post mentioned, you have to be over and above a certain %, usually 70% before they will put a stent in, I had a 95% blockage and a few around the 40% mark which have been on meds since 2008, no additional stents.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stouricks said:

Then I shall buy 20mgs and break them in half. 

It all depends on the pharmacy you use.

You can buy a pill chopper and I have also pill dispenser tray that I bought from Lazada a while ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Ultra-Pill-Cutter-Retracting/dp/B000EGKTGK

I can't find the dispensing tray but you should be able to get/order one from a good pharmacy.

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It all depends on the pharmacy you use.

You can buy a pill chopper and I have also pill dispenser tray that I bought from Lazada a while ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Ultra-Pill-Cutter-Retracting/dp/B000EGKTGK

I can't find the dispensing tray but you should be able to get/order one from a good pharmacy.

Not sure why a dispensing tray would be needed as best to keep pills whole and protected in original package, especially in Thailand.  Just cut a week or so at a time and store in the built in storage area of that cutter.  Have same or very similar cutter (rubberized pill holder?) which is indeed excellent but believe was a bit more expensive from Iherb (but that was years ago).   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure why a dispensing tray would be needed as best to keep pills whole and protected in original package, especially in Thailand.  Just cut a week or so at a time and store in the built in storage area of that cutter.  Have same or very similar cutter (rubberized pill holder?) which is indeed excellent but believe was a bit more expensive from Iherb (but that was years ago).   

I take 7 different meds a day and I make them up for 20 days at a time, and bung them into small ziploc bags and leave the rest for the next time. It has worked for me for many years.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:16 AM, bert bloggs said:

Thanks for the info all ,i had a by pass ,a long long time ago in the UK ,i know i had blockages again back in 2001 when when i had the tests ,an angiogram back in the UK ,a few days ago i was really bad ,thought the end was nigh ,now feel great again ,walking for half an hour this morning no problem ,anyway am going to hospital tomorrow ,for a check up.

Hello again bert bloggs...good name that,if I get banned again anytime soon may come back as bert bloggs 1.

anyway I believe looking at past quotes in earlier threads, if married to Thai you could get big discount on hospital treatment,and if you are thinking of going 'ome to UK the newly named PiP, well basically its the over 65s invalidity payment scheme. Pays up to 100 quid a week and is not means tested or taxable,should be a walk in the park getting it, anyone over 70 years plus,and best of all its a disqualifying benefit,cannot be touched

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, izod10 said:

anyway I believe looking at past quotes in earlier threads, if married to Thai you could get big discount on hospital treatment,

Believe you have read of some married to government employees so have insurance through them.  Marriage gives you nothing in itself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe you have read of some married to government employees so have insurance through them.  Marriage gives you nothing in itself.

The 90 year o;d NZ guy who had a stent fitted in lower leg a few months ago,did not state that,but who knows? he might have one

3 minutes ago, izod10 said:

The 90 year o;d NZ guy who had a stent fitted in lower leg a few months ago,did not state that,but who knows? he might have one

Also anyone can use government hospitals which will cost a lot less than most private hospitals - but that has nothing to do with marriage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

went to queen sirikit again today ,saw another doc ,not heart ,200 baht ,appointment for next teusday ,for heart guy .

wish i could go back to UK ,but with covid ,you can forget it ,half the heart patients not getting treatment anyway ,also would never get back here.

Just about right bert bloggs,not just heart patients,cancer and whatever else. Liked going to India,really did,two hours away and the finest care (and cheapest) care.  All the cancer scans up the ass/down the throat,heart scans,mri on my knee,there and then. cost a near fortune here 100,00 and up,there 1000 baht ,if that

just spent a few nights in hospital ,with my heart problems ,regarding having a stent ,had a by pass years ago ,anyway ,went to a private hospital one night ,lovely room ,saw the heart doc ,wanted to give me angiogram straight away , anyway after getting the bill for one nights stay 51 thousand baht my family asked him to transfer us to a govt hospital(he does the heart surgery there as well ) got transfered first nights ,battery of tests ,injections drips etc etc ,stayed in ward ,actually not to bad ,cost approx 8 thousand baht ,second night all drips injections food ,and nice nurses 2 thousand baht ,

will be seen in the near future regarding a stent , being discharged as stable ,

private hospital list 3 pages long for charges ,i asprin 27 baht ,govt hospital 2 weeks supply of 4 different meds including asprin 287 baht.

go figure.

• Like 2